Carpc

This is a discussion on Carpc within the Off Topic forums, part of the Entertainment category; Well I got a great deal on a 2003 chevy blazer with 40k miles for only 6k and I coulden't ...
Page: 1

Well I got a great deal on a 2003 chevy blazer with 40k miles for only 6k and I coulden't pass that deal up so I took it. My wife now drives it but I also want to experament a bit with it. I got a 2003 tundra but I don't feel like ripping my baby apart just yet. To be honest with you I hate American cars but it was too good of a deal, it may be a lemon in a few months with the wiring mods I will do to it :lol:

I bought an in-dash motorized touch screen and I have an old laptop (p3 1ghz 512 ram) that I could wire up to the trunk but I wonder if anyone here has a similer setup.

I cant figure out how im going to extend the wiring from the back to my dash and make it look stock when the monitor is closed in the din. I hope to get a gps and such for it but I am also worried about boot times.

So yeah, does anyone here have a carpc setup? And whats your boot time?

sexy Owa

:wub:

Zink

:blink:

bump? damn no one has a setup like this?

Zink

i dun have a car :P

What type of wiring is it, How many metres roughly? Got any electrical knowledge as you can extend the wiring fairly easily

Inactive Member

why u wanna put the laptop in the trunk? the wiring would be much easier if it was under passenger seat or in glove compartment

Andrew_Meister

Exclamation

:blink:

the_stiffmeister

why u wanna put the laptop in the trunk? the wiring would be much easier if it was under passenger seat or in glove compartment [/b]

i think he means the touch screen is gonna be powered by the laptop...not the laptop is gonna be used by itself...and he prolly doesn't wanna lose the storage space in the glove compartment or to lose a seat in the front...not sure though...

i think he means the touch screen is gonna be powered by the laptop...not the laptop is gonna be used by itself...and he prolly doesn't wanna lose the storage space in the glove compartment or to lose a seat in the front...not sure though...[/b]
    Sorry for the late reply I havent tracked this topic. Yes I am going to have the touch screen in the dash and want this job to look at stock as possible. The glove compartment is where I planed on putting it, but I need a place with airflow and my glove compartment wont fit the laptop.

On another note, I found a place right behind my drivers side seat which is perfect. It is withen arms reach of the power button (which seems to be crucial because I cant seem to find a 10 foot power switch that would work properly, not to mention I don't feel like soldering). The laptop I am using works out perfect. I recieved it as a gift years ago and it came with a mini dock (it's an IBM) that has an external power button on it, so I can simply reach around with my hand to turn it on. This location provides easy access, looks fairly stock and has great airflow.

Sense the laptop is a lot closer I don't think wiring will be that much of an issue now, however these days it seems harder to find extended vga cables.

I am still worried about boot time though.

Make the cables urself SO MUCH CHEAPER :P