Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The diff between your and you're

This is a discussion on The diff between your and you're within the Off Topic forums, part of the Entertainment category; It isn't innovation. We have these protocols because they make the language easier to understand and more expressive. Using terrible ...
Page: 2

It isn't innovation. We have these protocols because they make the language easier to understand and more expressive. Using terrible English doesn't make you edgey or innovative, it just makes you look like an idiot. The way English has evolved has generally been an increase to the complexity of the grammar compared to say 400 years ago. Part of the reason why Elizabethan texts are notoriously difficult to understand is that a lot of words have multiple meanings. If we all used MSN-speak then we would have the same problems.

Innovation in language takes the form of removing inconsistent relics, and spellings that are totally different to their phonetics. That's a good thing since it makes the language more efficient. Using the wrong words and punctuation serves no purpose.

aka Manipulation Senior Member KungPaoChicken's Avatar

Yes it does. If you work in an English-speaking country then not only does it make you harder to understand, but it also makes you look poorly educated. First impressions are everything. What I find more annoying are people using "loose" instead of "lose", "there" instead of "their/they're", and not using "whose" and "whom" correctly.

Oh, and people who think that "funner" is a word. Fucking pisses me off.[/b]
    Speaking of whose, i think kungpao thinks its funner to loose his bad grammar from his brain rather than using they're teachers guidelines to learn english.

Speaking of whose, i think kungpao thinks its funner to loose his bad grammar from his brain rather than using they're teachers guidelines to learn english.[/b]

Chea! Fight the power Kungpao, show the world its right to be wrong!

Yes it does. If you work in an English-speaking country then not only does it make you harder to understand, but it also makes you look poorly educated. First impressions are everything. What I find more annoying are people using "loose" instead of "lose", "there" instead of "their/they're", and not using "whose" and "whom" correctly.

I have... and even if at first you make dumb mistakes, you get the message through and then learn. But at least in my experience it didnt see me look poorly educated given the fact that i write in and speak 3 languages fluid, and even though i some times make dumb mistakes in this language i doubt its enough to say im poorly educated.

Da Mod Father Senior Member Felix's Avatar

This is so true today and it's getting worse. I know I am rubbish at spelling and grammer but I will still try and make a point of doing things correctly. Being lazy just cuases more confussion to others trying to read the drivel that you incorrectly type.

In todays world it no longer matters, if you get your message through and clear enough for it to be understood then it doesnt matter if you didnt build your sentences or phrases in a perfect and flawless use of the language. And for typing (because who uses a pen anymore) you will always have abc checking.[/b]
    Of course it matters. Language is by far one of the most important facets of a person's character. I'm all for making mistakes while learning the language, but you have to learn from these mistakes. That is where today's generation seems to fall short. Regardless of whether or not your English is comprehensible, choosing to not to learn from the mistakes you make and continue to make them does indeed create the perception of being uneducated. As Zero said, first impressions are everything, even more so in the US.

Community Nazı Senior Member schrotti's Avatar

Of course it matters. Language is by far one of the most important facets of a person's character. I'm all for making mistakes while learning the language, but you have to learn from these mistakes. That is where today's generation seems to fall short. Regardless of whether or not your English is comprehensible, choosing to not to learn from the mistakes you make and continue to make them does indeed create the perception of being uneducated. As Zero said, first impressions are everything, even more so in the US.[/b]
    "Today&#39;s Generation" Shurt? Really? How old are we again? :<

Of course it matters. Language is by far one of the most important facets of a person&#39;s character. I&#39;m all for making mistakes while learning the language, but you have to learn from these mistakes. That is where today&#39;s generation seems to fall short. Regardless of whether or not your English is comprehensible, choosing to not to learn from the mistakes you make and continue to make them does indeed create the perception of being uneducated. As Zero said, first impressions are everything, even more so in the US.[/b]
    This is funny, are you telling me that a ceo of an american company would think poorly of the ceo of a chinese company because he didnt speak perfect and fluid english. Yes of course if you are from an english speaking country and its your native language then yes i can see where the poor impretion would be made.

But like i said in todays world, dumb mistakes like the one uzu was talking about are not a big deal.

This is funny, are you telling me that a ceo of an american company would think poorly of the ceo of a chinese company because he didnt speak perfect and fluid english. Yes of course if you are from an english speaking country and its your native language then yes i can see where the poor impretion would be made.[/b]
    Yes, actually.. I would. I&#39;m German, and I think of Americans using the "MSN-speak" poorly, but rather than being poorly educated, I usually just categorize them as idiots. I myself may not have a perfect grammar, but hell, at least I&#39;m trying, why can&#39;t you? Seeing Americans fail at their native language, is just sad.

This is funny, are you telling me that a ceo of an american company would think poorly of the ceo of a chinese company because he didnt speak perfect and fluid english. Yes of course if you are from an english speaking country and its your native language then yes i can see where the poor impretion would be made.

But like i said in todays world, dumb mistakes like the one uzu was talking about are not a big deal.[/b]
    Let&#39;s stop and think, how many CEO&#39;s of Chinese companies that do business in the US do NOT speak English? I guarantee, the number will be extremely small, if any at all. And that was kind of my point, that, by living in the US (or other English-speaking country) and speaking poor English, the perception is one of uneducated, regardless of what the case might be.

Yes, actually.. I would. I&#39;m German, and I think of Americans using the "MSN-speak" poorly, but rather than being poorly educated, I usually just categorize them as idiots. I myself may not have a perfect grammar, but hell, at least I&#39;m trying, why can&#39;t you? Seeing Americans fail at their native language, is just sad.[/b]
    LoL

I think you miss my point, ok here i go again. Bare with me as i dont know english well. What i am saying is... how can you think poorly of someone who makes dumb mistakes in english while he speaks 3 other languages. That means he speaks 2 more than you, so my question is: Why would you say this person is poorly educated, when its clear that he is not ?

LoL

I think you miss my point, ok here i go again. Bare with me as i dont know english well. What i am saying is... how can you think poorly of someone who makes dumb mistakes in english while he speaks 3 other languages. That means he speaks 2 more than you, so my question is: Why would you say this person is poorly educated, when its clear that he is not ?[/b]
    Because it&#39;s not a dumb mistake if you do it over and over and over and over again. It&#39;s not hard getting them right, AT ALL. You just choose not to, which is why for me they&#39;re idiots.

Because it&#39;s not a dumb mistake if you do it over and over and over and over again. It&#39;s not hard getting them right, AT ALL. You just choose not to, which is why for me they&#39;re idiots.[/b]
    Werent we talking about first impressions ?

Yes, by all means if someone makes the same mistake after you correct them, they are idiots.

evilwevel

4 languages and i manage to get my apostrophe right most of the time

only thing i&#39;m really struggling to remember is the usage of then and than. i always forget i know the rule is quite easy.

Werent we talking about first impressions ?

Yes, by all means if someone makes the same mistake after you correct them, they are idiots.[/b]
    Yes, and the first impression won&#39;t be a very good one unless you walk up to someone and say "I speak English, y Español, e Italiano," then perhaps you might not seem thoroughly uneducated or anything of the sort.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast