Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

HALP. Buying a new computer

This is a discussion on HALP. Buying a new computer within the Off Topic forums, part of the Entertainment category; Blah can't sleep, may as well post this now. So for college I'm gonna be getting a new computer. I ...
Page: 1

Blah can't sleep, may as well post this now.

So for college I'm gonna be getting a new computer. I was putting it off till closer to the end of summer when my first semester would start, but my PC just happened to get a virus and totally phail on me.

I have around $1500 to play with, I'd rather spend $1200 or less but if the extra money will really help perfomance I'll "splurge."

What I need:
    • School shit. Word processor, etc...
    • Games. Graphics, RAM, etc.
    • Media. movies pictures all that crap.

So bundle that all up with a nice price and you will be my hero. I don't know too much about computer parts and all that so that why I'm asking for help. I know a lot of people custom build their PC's but like I said I don't really know enough to do that, if you do I'd more then welcome the tips.

Any name brand or anything with good guarantees// warranty is a plus. Don't wanna invest a bunch for it to break or suck or w/e.

Anyway tired, sleep time. I'll think of more in the mornin probly.

Banned Senior Member

All depends what you are looking for, custom made can be pretty good and cheap for the parts if your good, or if you want to go for factory made you can get a decent computer for ~$1200 now, just take a look at Dell or something for Customize and look at your options, I'd make something, but it's 4am and i'm going to sleep

SocialParasite Senior Member Kronos's Avatar

Are you going to use Vista on it?

What part do you have already(Monitor,DVD drive etc)?

Can you give me a link to the store where you are going to buy it? (I'm not from USA and prices might be different)

If you can/have a friend with basic knowledge of insides of computers and can put one together, or if theres a place nearby that will do that, say, ill whip you all the parts you need for cheap

Fuck this im topic jacking you son! I need help with a new computer too =D Josh I added u to msn ^^ Nd gonna make my own topic! a.q

Dro
    As hot sauce on your taco Senior Member

Unless you are gonna use advance programs for college, just get a gaming pc. A good microprocessor, as much RAM as you can boost up, a decent sound card and the best video card you can get(3d, why best? Games require more Video memory at each release, so if you get the best one available it'll last you for a few years of gaming). Most important factor I think you should ask for: NOT INTEGRATED.

Banned Senior Member

I just threw something together, now ofc is can easily be changed and made cheaper or more expensive, but this is in your range:

$1274
    My Components
    Intel® Core™2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB)
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium w/ Digital Cable Support SP1
    3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs
    320GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
    Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
    No Monitor
    nVidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
    Integrated Sound Blaster®Audigy™ HD Software Edition
    No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
    Dell USB Keyboard
    Dell Optical USB Mouse
    Dell 19 in 1 Media Reader with Bluetooth
    Dell Media Card Reader included in Dell Bluetooth Package
    No Modem Requested
    My Software & Accessories
    McAfee SecurityCenter 15-months
    Microsoft Works 9.0
    My Service
    1Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor,24x7 Phone Support
    Included 3 GB DataSafe Online Backup for 1Yr
    Also Includes
    Windows Vista™ Premium
    Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 8.1
    Dimension XPS, Specialized Support
    No Entertainment software pre-installed
    No ISP requested

If you want a dualcore processor, then you can get a more powerful one for the same price ( more ghz, more FSB ), also 320gb will do you fine, if you want more space then add a larger HD or get an external. Since your at school I added the 19 in 1 card reader with bluetooth and you have a nice 8800 GT in there as well. If you want to have more then 3gb of ram, then upgrade to a 64bit version of the OS

Now ofc there is a sale on at Dell untill July 7th I believe, and if your able to wait a bit longer they will have the back to school sale soon which will make the price cheaper and in about a month those components will be cheaper as well or you can get an even better pc for the same price

Fuck this im topic jacking you son! I need help with a new computer too =D Josh I added u to msn ^^ Nd gonna make my own topic! a.q[/b]
    Scammer!!!

And i posted this on another forum as well.. So far they came up with

http://www.lucomputers.com/product_detail....s=1&id=2883
    http://www.custompcmax.com/apps/webs...cts/show/36989

Edit:: Just saw phantoms post.
    Thanks man i appreciate that, im gonna check some of that out now.

And you reccomned newegg.com to throw that together?

Banned Senior Member

I've never used newegg because they dont ship to canada, when I got my PC ( and the one I showed you here ) it was Dell, and for single parts or things like that, I use Tigerdirect.ca ( they also have a .com site )

Oh ya, forgot to mention that PC there isn't on sale, but there are different ones you can customize which are in the sale options as well

banaanc

nvida 8800gt is shit now

some
    c2d e8400(most games anyway cant use 4 cores)
    4gb csx ddr2 ram
    some wd/seagate 500gb+ hdd with 32MB Cache
    and for video hd4850/hd4870 nvidias new series sucks hd4870 is ~ GTX 260 @ 100$ less, only thing they could be hard to get cause ddr5 is rare, maybe cf if you have the money,
    i dont understand much about mb so i cant suggest anything

+ any software you want to waste money on

I just threw something together, now ofc is can easily be changed and made cheaper or more expensive, but this is in your range:

$1274
    My Components
    Intel® Core™2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB)
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium w/ Digital Cable Support SP1
    3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs
    320GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
    Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
    No Monitor
    nVidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
    Integrated Sound Blaster®Audigy™ HD Software Edition
    No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
    Dell USB Keyboard
    Dell Optical USB Mouse
    Dell 19 in 1 Media Reader with Bluetooth
    Dell Media Card Reader included in Dell Bluetooth Package
    No Modem Requested
    My Software & Accessories
    McAfee SecurityCenter 15-months
    Microsoft Works 9.0
    My Service
    1Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor,24x7 Phone Support
    Included 3 GB DataSafe Online Backup for 1Yr
    Also Includes
    Windows Vista™ Premium
    Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 8.1
    Dimension XPS, Specialized Support
    No Entertainment software pre-installed
    No ISP requested

If you want a dualcore processor, then you can get a more powerful one for the same price ( more ghz, more FSB ), also 320gb will do you fine, if you want more space then add a larger HD or get an external. Since your at school I added the 19 in 1 card reader with bluetooth and you have a nice 8800 GT in there as well. If you want to have more then 3gb of ram, then upgrade to a 64bit version of the OS

Now ofc there is a sale on at Dell untill July 7th I believe, and if your able to wait a bit longer they will have the back to school sale soon which will make the price cheaper and in about a month those components will be cheaper as well or you can get an even better pc for the same price[/b]
    Save money get rid of the all vista, adobes, keyboards and shit, get dual core 3ghz and a 768mb gfx either geroce 8800 or 9600

Banned Senior Member

8800 isn't bad, I have a 9600 and if your able to SLI two 8800's together you got a nice video setup even now compared to the new lineup. I like Vista, and you cant get XP anymore at least off commercial websites, and not very often do they allow you to buy a computer without an OS installed, hence you get vista.

You also dont get a choice with the software/hardware. It comes with it wether you like it or not And ATI cards aren't as good as Nvidia. Also you gotta remember there is a budget here, $1500 max, but preferred to be around 1200

Well I mean the things I do really aren't THAT demanding. You should see the current PC I just had break, you would laugh, you would cry.
    Pretty much anything will be an upgrade.

I'm just looking to get the most out of it, something that will still be very usable in 5-6 years. I'm also not very part oriented, so I mean I guess I would be able to put it together if necesarry but... I'd rather not O.o

From the little I do know about parts, or what I've heard, Core 2 duo is all that you really need for gaming, which would be cheaper meaning I could get one with more ghz like Josh said? Or do you believe there will be any viability with actually incorporating the quad cores into more then just advanced video editing or w/e its used for.

And as for all the parts you guys listed, thats great but I still am not so sure where to find all this.

Yes, I'm a sad sad noob.

banaanc

8800 isn't bad, I have a 9600 and if your able to SLI two 8800's together you got a nice video setup even now compared to the new lineup. I like Vista, and you cant get XP anymore at least off commercial websites, and not very often do they allow you to buy a computer without an OS installed, hence you get vista.

You also dont get a choice with the software/hardware. It comes with it wether you like it or not And ATI cards aren't as good as Nvidia. Also you gotta remember there is a budget here, $1500 max, but preferred to be around 1200[/b]
    SLI sucks cause it needs SLI mb and 2 identical cards - you can use cf on almost every mb and with different cards

HD4850 RAPES 8800gt, its about as good as 9800gtx and only 199$, HD4870 is about as good as GTX 260(399$) but costs 299$ tho nvidia soon will make price drop on 2xx series

check reviews about those cards

and ati cards have better picture at the same settings than nvidia ones

8800gt was best card for $ about 1 or two month ago, now hd48xx have that spot

From the beginning Senior Member EG4L's Avatar

just goto dell.com...don't bother buying the microsoft office etc - just download it.

dell4life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast