Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree1Likes

Joining the military? would you?

This is a discussion on Joining the military? would you? within the Off Topic forums, part of the Entertainment category; Can't speak for the military in other countries, but I did my 4 in the US Navy as a Hospital ...
Page: 5

Can't speak for the military in other countries, but I did my 4 in the US Navy as a Hospital Corpsman stationed with the Marines. And no I was not one of those pukes that spent their time during forced marches in the back of a 5-ton rather than on the ground (personally I can't stand those people who become a liability instead of an asset during real time situations).

Whatever branch you decide to go into, make sure that you know all your options before joining. Talk to someone with prior service to understand your options. What they did? How they would do it differently? etc.... The recruiter (as a general rule) is not there to make sure you have a great time in service. He is there to make his quota for enlistment by any means necessary. I have seen recruiters outright lie to people just to bait them into joining, even had it done to me.

After C school I looked into my options if I decided to just do my 4 years and exit. I found out that Navy Corpsman C school does not meet the requirements to take the exam to be a Liscensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) in TX. Some other states, yes, but not in TX. This was something that was told to me to get me in the service, a "selling point" if you will. I talked with the recruiter after my C school and he said that he was unaware of TX policy and was sorry. Maybe if I changed my enlistment to 6x2 and instead of 4x4 I could do something. Sorry bud, not gonna happen.

I found out, while at my first duty station, that my ASVAB score qualified me for the Nuke Med program and that I could have my admittance to the program stipulated in my service contract before signing. Yes, I would have had to change my enlistment to a 6x2 instead of a 4x4, but with the guarantee of increased earning potential when released, that is a no-brainer. Was this told to me at signing? No! I joined with 2 friends of mine and was not told about the "buddy program" which allows you and your buddies to be together at your first duty station after basic training.

The recruiters job is to get you in at the lowest possible cost to the service. They are trained in this area and they are good.

Just make sure that whatever you do in the Military can be directly applied to a civilian job if you only want to do your 4 and get out. Make sure that you go to school while serving, I got my associates degree before I left. Take every opportunity you can while you can during your service time and don't feel bad about it, after all you are giving them 4+ years of your life in servitude.

And if any of you were Texas residents when joining, you might want to check out The Hazelwood Act should you decide you want to go back to school.
    Last edited by r1ckyb0by; 01-10-2012 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Just apologizing for the wall of text :/

Yes. Everyone should have the opportunity to die for the greatest country in the world - The United States of America.

I can tell you i joined the military right out of high school, i went with the air force it was the best decision i have ever made and to give you a better picture of the situation i grew up very wealthy so i wasnt forced in an amazing neighborhood so i wasnt trying to leave i just wanted to do my part serve my country and make money while i did it. Currently im an E3 making 800 bucks a paycheck with no bills paychecks are every 2 weeks so it adds up fast

RAY

If you join the military you are sigining away your life. You are no longer your own man. What you think means nothing. It only matters what you do, and you wont get to decide that, especially if you dont get some college under your belt. think this through bro.

probably best thing in my country to do is to join the Army then go overseas. get paid a fortune to do it but wouldnt want to go to the countries they go to...

If you can,go ahead.In this shithole that we call Bosnia there is like 5 % chance that you will actually find a job,and once you get it,you probably won't have any esurance and will have to work like a horse.I'll try to join the bosnian army next time they are in need of soldiers,if that fails,there is always the french foreign legion.
    Cheers.

i enlisted into the US Navy at age 17. Spent the full next year training while in highschool. My first day of bootcamp was my 18th birthday. I was enlisted 6x2 and spent nearly two years in C schools. My recruiter helped me get where I wanted. I enlisted intent on going SEAL team. He got me pointed in the right direction on day one by taking my ASVAB score and giving me the list of jobs I could school for that were required to be able to make the team, there were 21 of them. He gave me all the needed information and direction for me to do what I wanted. Hard to believe yes, but upon meeting him - he met my father and learned very fast that I came from a long line of military sons. My father warned me of recruiter's ways and this particular recruited knew I already knew how it was and where I wanted to go. He didnt have to recruit me as I came to him so he was willing to give me the proper information. Although I do regret not staying in for the career as I would have retired 4 years ago on early out retirement as per my naval job. I am a veteran of Desert Storm. Looking back on it all now, I dont regret it as it made me the guy I am today. My advice to anyone thinking of joining the military is dont treat it like getting a tattoo. Dont do it on spur of the moment as you will ultimately regret it. Do it becuz you want to do it. Be thoughtful about the process, get to know the process and all your options. Do not let the recruiter tell you what you want to do, you tell him. They want you. If you have other means of education, do that. If your from a poor family/environment.. do it. When you go into bootcamp use this advice - "Out of sight equals out of mind". Be quiet and learn, dont be a clown/distraction or you will become the focal point of your instructors and surely have a very bad time.

Quote Originally Posted by Decerto View Post
    If you can,go ahead.In this shithole that we call Bosnia there is like 5 % chance that you will actually find a job,and once you get it,you probably won't have any esurance and will have to work like a horse.I'll try to join the bosnian army next time they are in need of soldiers,if that fails,there is always the french foreign legion.
    Cheers.
    Come to Slovenia for a job like most of the balkan.

Banned Regular Member

Id Say No Kinda Scary And Shave Ur head So Nah Id Stay Away From Those..And I Could Not Possibly Handle The Screaming And Yelling..I Dnt Mind Doing The Hard Work And Training Tho..

I say no. So many better avenues than that. Like me firefighting. Then there's cop. Paramedic emt. PO bunch of things that only take about 1-3 years. Not bad. And u get to stay up close to family.

Little archer Senior Member

not my thing

if you are really into school want to go to the army just because of money find loans grants and scolarships and go to college, but if you want to go to school just because you think u have to but are not too thrill about it then join the military then after you are done u can go to school you'll have new perspectives and experiences...... I would have loved goign to the military but i was more worried about my academic goals so I'm in college :P

Quote Originally Posted by IAM_GOD View Post
    so im out of high school and want to go to college but don't really want to mess with bank loans. school is free while your in the military so i'm thinking why the hell not. it's just gonna be for a couple of years. i'm leaning towards air force, navy, and army.

hey wassup guys it's 2 years later, july of 2012 now and i want to tell u all i joined the navy. just got out of boot-camp 2 months ago and now starting my training for my job as an IT. i kind of regretted picking up an IT contract at first because i wanted something in the aviation's field, but soon realized it was a good choice. its been 2 months in school for me and next week when i pass my cert exams; 701/702 i can be worth 60k minimum.
    so are u ORC or humen!!!
    razor likes this.

MARINES!!!!! , i allways whanted to join the marines and hopefully will n the next few months

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345