Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lavie
  • 1 Post By thing

Korean government moves to outlaw gold farming as well as "all virtual item trades"

This is a discussion on Korean government moves to outlaw gold farming as well as "all virtual item trades" within the Off Topic forums, part of the Entertainment category; According to Korean Times , Korea's Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism has plans "to halt all virtual item trades ...
Page: 1

Default Korean government moves to outlaw gold farming as well as "all virtual item trades"

According to Korean Times, Korea's Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism has plans "to halt all virtual item trades with a new law" which will be announced at some point next month. You can potentially add this to the already teetering pile of weird gaming laws in which the country is mired: such as an online curfew for players under the age of 18. Should it pass, the law would ban the exchange of in-game items, one of the effects of which would be the outlawing of Diablo 3's real money auction house. Is that the distinctive sound of gums flapping? Or could this be a serious step towards an effort to restrict the activities of gold farmers?

The article reports that "for online role-playing games, the law prohibits users from using programs that allow in-game characters to hunt and collect items without the need of a player controlling them", thereby making the act of farming for virtual currency and items illegal at a government level, rather than simply a breach of a game's terms of service. Breaking this new law would result in fines of up to 50 million South Korean won (around £27,500) or imprisonment for up to five years. That said, it's unclear if the law is exclusively targetting automated farming, or all virtual item trade in Korea - the original article reports both.
    The ministry claims that over 60% of items exchanged on the market are acquired using bots, and that such programs having a negative impact on the reputation of online games. "The main purpose of the games is for entertainment and [they] should be used for academic and other good purposes,” insisted Kim Kap-soo, head of the ministry’s content policy division. The ministry believes that item trades contribute to wider social problems, including teenage crime.
    These officials aren't just full of hot air either. Earlier this month, the Korean government raided Blizzard's Seoul office as part of an ongoing investigation into consumer complaints regarding Diablo 3. Crikey, Korea.

( extracted from pcgamesn )

This would be a violation of freedoms on the Internet, and an alert, because it can be imitated by other countries.

and then.... thousands of south koreans starve to death.

Inb4 Food aid.
    Last edited by Lavie; 07-18-2012 at 11:47 PM.
    com4700 likes this.

Banned Senior Member

Awesome!!! Nice find! Hopefully this is detrimental to the koxp/bot programmers in Korea. Good thing Mgames is located in Korea.

For online role-playing games, the law prohibits users from using programs that allow in-game characters to hunt and collect items without the need of a player controlling them.
    I like the sound of that. Too bad it's only in Korea. This kind of law needs to be put in effect in countries around the world. Maybe I'll write a letter to my congressmen with this article attached and propose the same thing our senators in the United States. We need this in Turkey & China and all this games problems would be solved

Quote Originally Posted by Excision View Post
    Awesome!!! Nice find! Hopefully this is detrimental to the koxp/bot programmers in Korea. Good thing Mgames is located in Korea.

I like the sound of that. Too bad it's only in Korea. This kind of law needs to be put in effect in countries around the world. Maybe I'll write a letter to my congressmen with this article attached and propose the same thing our senators in the United States. We need this in Turkey & China and all this games problems would be solved
    Waste of time at the moment. I myself would wait till our real life economy is in working order until i worried about trying to get OUR goverment to pass a law related to a games economy. plus i wouldnt think anyone in our government would have the slightest clue what a gold farmer or bot is, and you know our guys, if they cant understand it, we just blow it up

Shit. World doesn't need more laws limiting free trade.
    Darken likes this.

Ancient Tribesman Moderator Darken's Avatar
    In deep d4rk forest, with thick mists is something valuable hidden.The Village of Golden Tribesman

Quote Originally Posted by thing View Post
    Shit. World doesn't need more laws limiting free trade.
    +1

What will they aim to ban next? This is similar to SOPA/ PIPA / ACTA in gaming. Send you to prison for trading ingame cash? Are you f@cking kidding me??? Its gaming companies responsibility to take care of hackers, not governments. I dont advocate hackers at all I hate them infact. they ruin the games. but this is not the right way to go...