Less is not more when it comes to smoking

This is a discussion on Less is not more when it comes to smoking within the Off Topic forums, part of the Entertainment category; Code: http://health.msn.com/guides/stopsmoking/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100149267&GT1=8717 Quitting is the only real route to health, study finds</span> -- Robert Preidt TUESDAY, Nov. 28 (HealthDay News) ...
Page: 1

Psy

Default Less is not more when it comes to smoking

Code:
    http://health.msn.com/guides/stopsmoking/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100149267&GT1=8717
    Quitting is the only real route to health, study finds</span>-- Robert Preidt
    TUESDAY, Nov. 28 (HealthDay News) -- Less is not more when it comes to smokers' health, new research finds.

A Norwegian study found that merely cutting back on the number of cigarettes smoked per day did not lower a heavy smoker's risk of early death.

Reporting in the journal Tobacco Control, a team from the National Health Screening Service in Oslo found that limiting the daily amount of cigarettes may be useful as a temporary measure when a smoker is trying to quit, but kicking the habit is the only real way of reducing the risk of smoking-related health consequences and early death.

The team studied more than 51,000 men and women ranging in age from 20 to 34 at the start of the study, when they were first assessed for cardiovascular risk factors. The participants were screened again two more times over an average follow-up of 20 years.

The participants were classified as: never smokers; quitters (those who stopped smoking between the first and second screening); moderate smokers (1 to 14 cigarettes a day); reducers (more than 15 cigarettes a day, but by more than half at the second screening); and heavy smokers (more than 15 cigarettes a day).

Compared to men who were heavy smokers, death rates from all causes were not significantly different for male "reducers." And women who cut back on smoking actually had higher death rates from all causes than female heavy smokers.

People may be misled if they're told that cutting back on their smoking may help them stave off disease and early death, the study authors concluded.

Dro
    As hot sauce on your taco Senior Member

so if you go from smoking 2 pacs a day to 2 cigarrets a day it won't make any difference? :blink:

Obviously quitting is the best way of "living longer" as far as not dying of pulmonar cancer and similar nicotine related deaths, but I can't believe that reducing the ammount of nicotine that goes to your lungs drasticlly doesn't makes any change what so ever on life time. I guess I'll go from average to 0 smokes a day then.

Rayne_of_death

My grandfather has been smoking everyday since he was 10 years old. He is now 87. Still alive. So if he quit how much longer would he live? One more question to add here. How long do you want to live anyway? 80? 90? 100 years? I'd rather die before I get senile and can't walk anymore. I'd rather die knowing my kids names then die not knowing their faces. Although, cancer is a disgusting way to go, most of my family has been taken that way, including the ones that never smoked a day in their lives. Besides if you ask my doctor, smoking causes everything from a sprained ankle to brain tumors. :lol:

Originally posted by Rayne_of_death
    My grandfather has been smoking everyday since he was 10 years old. He is now 87. Still alive. So if he quit how much longer would he live? One more question to add here. How long do you want to live anyway? 80? 90? 100 years? I'd rather die before I get senile and can't walk anymore. I'd rather die knowing my kids names then die not knowing their faces. Although, cancer is a disgusting way to go, most of my family has been taken that way, including the ones that never smoked a day in their lives. Besides if you ask my doctor, smoking causes everything from a sprained ankle to brain tumors. *:lol:
    "You were running and you tripped and fell in a hole? Must've been smoking, what did I tell you about that?" :lol:

Rayne_of_death

Originally posted by Shurt+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shurt)</div>
    <!--QuoteBegin-Rayne_of_death
    My grandfather has been smoking everyday since he was 10 years old. He is now 87. Still alive. So if he quit how much longer would he live? One more question to add here. How long do you want to live anyway? 80? 90? 100 years? I'd rather die before I get senile and can't walk anymore. I'd rather die knowing my kids names then die not knowing their faces. Although, cancer is a disgusting way to go, most of my family has been taken that way, including the ones that never smoked a day in their lives. Besides if you ask my doctor, smoking causes everything from a sprained ankle to brain tumors. *:lol:
    "You were running and you tripped and fell in a hole? Must've been smoking, what did I tell you about that?" :lol:[/b]
    Exactly! It's bullshit! :wacko:

Shurt :wub: