Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Mormons

This is a discussion on Mormons within the Off Topic forums, part of the Entertainment category; Originally Posted by gimmecookiesnao all religions have their goods and bads. some take it to the extreme but mormons in ...
Page: 3

Quote Originally Posted by gimmecookiesnao View Post
    all religions have their goods and bads. some take it to the extreme but mormons in my opinion are pretty naive. if u pulled that shit that joseph smith pulled back then today they would laugh in ur face
    Learn world history and the time line of the last 200 years otherwise you speak out of context and look uneducated. Most people in the world barely bathed back then, you think they gave 2 shits about a guy making a settlement in "nowheresville"Utah?

Quote Originally Posted by konioko View Post
    I personally think that Mormons are kind and giving. While actively serving in the church we would often host many food, clothing, and blood drives for the community while also delivering food baskets and presents to those less fortunate than us around Christmas time.

I also know that even though many people find Missionaries too be annoying even if you decide not to join our religion for the most part we will check in on people to see how they are doing and see if they need any help with anything.

I never actively studied the church while i was there. I more or less just showed up and tried to keep myself occupied until it was over. However i don't think that at any point in time Mormons were racist. If you could actually point me in the direction of the documents or facts that prove Joseph Smith was racist then i will believe you but until then i'm not going to believe it. The church i grew up in had many black people and other races but was for the most part populated by white people.

At first i laughed at the statement that we held dim view of women and gays but the more i think about it from an outside view the more i understand. Women cannot become members of the priesthood who hold a "higher power" that keeps them in touch with god enabling them to do things others can't.

As for gays mormons just like any other christians and many people don't believe in it. Marriage was ment to be between a man and a woman and is something i believe in. It doesn't mean i'm going out shunning gays and lesbians away and spitting on them. It just means i don't believe in what they are doing.

I am no longer an active member of the church, however, i recognize myself as a mormon for the time being and believe in what they do. There are some things i disagree with and tbh i'm probably not going to be an active member again but growing up in the church has taught me the values i have today. Just look at the 10 commandments. I have no regrets from being with the church. It's taught me how to be a good person and created a lot of good memories for me. Even though i don't believe in all of it it's what made me who i am today.

Finally, someone else with some first hand knowledge who can articulate their experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad_Archer View Post
    If you are interested in this religion you should read it's history from the very very beginning, how they got their money, how they treated settlers moving through Utah, etc. It is a very fascinating history. Like most religions they, as a group, have great points and do a lot for society. They also have some very controversial tenants and extreme off shoots who still believe in polygamy, female oppression, etc. But over all it's one of the better religions to come a long.
    "[The] public has no business knowing about church history and doctrine."
    - F. Lemar Sleight, Stake President. Church Leadership

Quote Originally Posted by Rad_Archer View Post
    Learn world history and the time line of the last 200 years otherwise you speak out of context and look uneducated. Most people in the world barely bathed back then, you think they gave 2 shits about a guy making a settlement in "nowheresville"Utah?
    Joseph Smith was a fucking moron and a laughing stock even back then. Can't believe how ignorant and naive you are. They guy was basically a petty criminal with a bad reputation. 200 years ago there were brilliant thinkers around like Darwin and Schopenhauer, but you would rather stick up for a waste of space like Smith and his retarded followers? At least it shows your moral character.

Finally, someone else with some first hand knowledge who can articulate their experiences.
    What the hell does that have to do with the tenets of mormonism? Mormons do good things for the same reason anyone else does good things. A large chunk of christians don't believe the great flood ever happened or in stoning their unruly children, but that just means they are confused, it doesn't vindicate the garbage contained in the religion. If someone insists on attaching a label to themselves, they are attaching all its connotations also.

Quote Originally Posted by 0000000 View Post
    Joseph Smith was a fucking moron and a laughing stock even back then. Can't believe how ignorant and naive you are. They guy was basically a petty criminal with a bad reputation. 200 years ago there were brilliant thinkers around like Darwin and Schopenhauer, but you would rather stick up for a waste of space like Smith and his retarded followers? At least it shows your moral character.

What the hell does that have to do with the tenets of mormonism? Mormons do good things for the same reason anyone else does good things. A large chunk of christians don't believe the great flood ever happened or in stoning their unruly children, but that just means they are confused, it doesn't vindicate the garbage contained in the religion. If someone insists on attaching a label to themselves, they are attaching all its connotations also.

My moral character? That's laughable, like you actually think you know me rofl. Coming from an anti social racist, bigoted hate monger, your insults are those of a small man with a smaller knowledge of history and even a smaller view of those around him in the world today (you know 2010 lol).

You have such a low IQ you have deduced the wrong answers over and over, and the majority of your "responses" (that aren't insults), don't even match what your responding to (just scroll up for examples in every one of your paragraphs, seriously scroll up and reread). You instantly try to label everyone and everything you don't agree with by using insults, way to follow your "heroes." Don't be confused, you are nothing like them. I wish Schopenhauer's father had his son's views on life, he would have never been born, brilliant! lol. I'm pretty sure you're destined to live out your life as miserable and alone as your idol, those ideals sure made his life a splendor lol...man you actually used him as an example rofl. The average life expectancy was 25-35 40 years tops in 1800 to well into the 1900's, no one gave 2 shits about the little Utah settlement, no one.

I'll be very very specific with your last comment, since you don't afford me the same respect (or maybe your delusional - I am beginning to think so). 1. I never stuck up for Joseph Smith, AGAIN reread the original comments. 2. You think that Felix was adopted out of some selfish reason? omg man, you are nuts. 3. You again, never acknowledged any religion for anything positive, your lopsided agenda again proves your just as wacko as the bible thumper in 1800 - just the opposite end of the fanatical spectrum. I find it amazing you stick up for homosexuals and atheists and their rights but not the rights of the religious (hypocrite example #15). Finally, I will say it for the third time, you can't even admit anyone following a religion today is doing so for any other reason then greed and not one single thing (including the society you live in) has come from those who follow religion, I have come to the conclusion you are certifiably nuts (or a very very low IQ or both, I'd bet money on it).
    Last edited by Rad_Archer; 02-21-2010 at 09:15 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123