Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Psy gives career advice.

This is a discussion on Psy gives career advice. within the Off Topic forums, part of the Entertainment category; Originally Posted by TempesT Dear Psy My life is quite confusing and I know not which road to fallow. Allow ...
Page: 2

Psy

Quote Originally Posted by TempesT View Post
    Dear Psy

My life is quite confusing and I know not which road to fallow. Allow me to fill you in on how my life is currently, I am a month from turning 19 I own a house and a decent car said car is completely paid off and said house is cruising along smoothly. originally, I was planning on finishing high school, taking a year off, and then getting into a business program. However, my father offered me a very time consuming and veyr well paying job. I have worked over seventy-five plus hours a week for the past two years. Since working, I have grown restless and fatigued. I bring forth the question, would going to school and getting a business degree actually assist in my goals as an entrepreneur? If I was to continue at this rate till I was 30, I could easily start up a few apartment complexes and pretty much live a good life, with very little work. However without a business degree that's about the extent of my potential. If I was to go back to school I would spend a number of years not making money, and after college the world would be unclear to me, and very risky. I would have also subsequently lost a number of my years, same years that could have been used to make a very large sum of profit. I am almost certain no matter what I do, I will have family support, me being the first grandson and first son in a wealthy chinese family, but as I see the world currently the longer I wait the smaller my chance of great success become. What would you advice? The risky path with great possible rewards or the safe path with much less potential.

- Confused man

Tempest,

You expressed no "drive" or anything other than a superficial "want" to do what you are doing. And I think it's pretty shitty of your father to have you work 76 hours. Even if you're offering to do the work, he should not exploit you like that.

To answer your question, "would going to school and getting a business degree actually assist in my goals as an entrepreneur?"

You didn't list any goals. The only specific you gave me is the bit about the apartment building. You can't be serious about that. That's like saying you want to be a dental hygienist or the third VP of a company. I will not say "don't go to school." But at least know what you're going to school for. And you do need your high school diploma or at the very least a GED if you plan on working for a company (most companies require a bachelors degree. If you don't have that, then you're going to be in a difficult and inconvenient position). If you want to be an entrepreneur, then lack of education isn't stopping you. Lack of experience or willpower is. Anyone can start up a business, but I digress. Get educated if you feel you need it. For me, education exists to enrich. As you are coming from an influential background, I don't see how you could think education is anything else.

High risk vs low risk. I'm in a business where .5% of people in it have jobs. To me, risk is playing Russian roulette. I believe that if you know you are going to succeed, then nothing can stop you. This reminds me of a metaphor I thought up earlier today. A man, working a shitty job, dreams of immortality, saying that he would learn how to be a doctor, an engineer, and a musician. He would build a castle in which he will keep all of his prized possessions. One day, a woman appears and trades him immortality for his watch. The man immediately quits his job, punches out his boss, and walks out. He goes off and becomes a doctor who cures cancer, an engineer who discovers how to do light speed travel, and a musician whose musics cause World Peace. He accumulates all the riches of the world and keeps them all in his estate. But then he looks in the mirror one day and sees notices that he is an old man. At this moment, he realizes that his watch was scammed all those years ago. He also realizes that if he had limited his self worth to being a mortal and not something more, then all he would have done is worked at that job and would have never had a thought more deep than contemplating whether or not he should ask for a 4% or 5% raise.

Finally, you said you're confused in the first line, and your entire post is wrought with uncertainty. To help you get over your ambivalence, I am recommending Julia Cameron's book "The Artist's Way." It will lead you through an organic process which will help you decide what you want to do with your life. I can always lead you through the process, but at the end of the day you'll want to say "I did this because I chose to, not because of some guy on the internet."

Dro
    As hot sauce on your taco Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TunaFishyMe View Post
    Leave it to the spic to be completely uneducated. PWC and E&Y have sold their consulting firms off. E&Y became Cap Gemini and i think IBM bought PWC's consulting firm. Deloitte is one of the top firms. I don't know too much about Cap Gemini but they don't seem very impressive. PWC and E&Y focus more on accounting now.
    Being bought doesn't mean merge or absorption. They are all companies of their own, but IBM does have a joint consulting area with PWC as far as TI goes. They both do accounting, taxes and such, but are not restrained to, they do advisory in TI, risk managment, investment, along with reengineering.

Deloitte is the second one amongst the top as far as revenue goes, but E&Y has the best reputation and PWC the best year round income so far.

Truthfully, they are all the same shit under a different hat and I'm just jerking your chain you silly asian.

Psy

How did the interview go Tuna?

TunaFishyMe

Hi Dr. Psy,

My apologies for not keeping you in the loop. They sent me an e-mail asking if I can work between Dec 1st to Dec 18th. I said no, since it is exam period and I have 6 exams to study for. So the secretary told me they want to move the interview until after Jan 4th. They will be out for vacation between the 18th and the 4th so it only makes sense.

I do have a friend who works on the same project. And he received a letter from the secretary (the one who will be interviewing me) saying that they are looking to hire one more student but they have an eye on someone. Expect to see someone joining the roster. I am quite confident they are referring to me and that I will get the job. However, I do know not to be overconfident. It is not mine until I sign the papers.

I will be studying for me exams and then prepare for the interview during the break.

I'll keep you updated,
    Tuna FishyMe

Psy

How'd it go, Tuna?

TunaFishyMe

Dr. Psy,

This entire process was extremely frustrating! My interview was scheduled to be last Monday. However, before I was interviewed, my friend informed me that another person came in for an interview and was hired the next day. This person was recommended by the interviewer to the director. I was under the impression that it was for a different position since my position was not even posted. I contacted the director for the interview.

The interview went great. I had the technical background that they needed. However, the interviewer told me they were unsure if they had the funding to offer me a position. Now the question is, "why interview me if you don't even have a position?" She told me she had to confirm and will get back to my later that week. The next day, she told me they had no budget and will contact me if the situation changes.

A day later, my friend informs me that the person who they hired was related to the interviewer. I e-mailed the director to open a position and this bitch goes and finds someone to replace it. I came back to kingston early to do the interview but the woman took TWO weeks to set up a 30 min interview. Clearly, she wanted to interview her relative before she got to me. And she wanted to have him hired before I laid my foot into the building!

On top of that, the only person who had hiring power was the director. Unfortunately, the day of my interview, he slipped and was hospitalized. All the other big shots left and she was the only one who was there to interview. I highly doubt she spoke with the director in his hospital bed about me and I am sure she told me there was no budget because they already hired the other guy.

This did not pan out as I planned and I am definitely angry about this. When the director recovers I will contact him and get my position back.

-Tuna

Hmm... I thought most companies don't hire relatives.

TunaFishyMe

Thats how it should be god dammit! This isn't really a company. It's a project for a University and Deloitte is the engagement partner. I am applying on the University's side and from personal experience, public services and ppl who do the grunt work for academic institutions are retarded.

Psy

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner Tuna, I never got an automated response for this topic in my email.

Sadly, nepotism is why 80% of people get jobs in any industry.

You're in the hit-or-miss applicant pool. You either have to be at the top of your game all the time, or you have to be decent and know someone. Consider this a rejection, for now, and move on to a new project. Feel free to send them letters to update them on what you're doing and have done, but don't hammer how unfair they've been. Two days ago I met an employer who I wanted to apply for a job with, but didn't because he seemed like an ass over the phone. Turns out he really is an ass and I wouldn't have wanted to work with him anyways. My advice is to move on, go to other social events. Work on your elevator pitch too.

A related story - I did interning for a while. I answered phone calls, sent emails, charged people. While I was interning, I secretly copied all the emails of people in the industry I work in and I can now contact them directly when I find out there is an opening at their company. I also copied a lot of files that the industry typically uses, and I can educate myself on them. Get creative, bend the rules a bit, and be smart about what you're doing.

TunaFishyMe

Dear Dr. Psy,

I am a man that believes in backups. If Plan A does not work, go for Plan B, then Plan C, then Plan D. Right now, I am at Plan D, and it finally worked. What is Plan D? Masters programs.
    As you know, I am currently graduating but I haven't found a job in something I want to do. I've only applied to really competitive consulting jobs but due to the economy and the stupid KO-playing first/second (of university) self, I couldn't secure myself a position. Most of the firms are done with hiring so I had to look at masters program.

During the summer, I developed Plan D, which was MSc in Management at Queen's while working for QUASR (the position I mentioned before) to get closer to Deloitte. The interesting situation is that I applied to Master of Management Innovation at University of Toronto as a backup just incase I didn't get into Queen's. Now that I got accepted to the one at UT, and still waiting for the one at Queen's, I'm having second thoughts on my opinion of the program at Queens. the MSc is must more research intensive, not really gearing their students for jobs. However, the MMI is much more industry intensive. My fear is that the MMI program is not very well-known so I won't have those big brand names on my resume consulting companies look for. But this is UT, so it can't be that bad. My goals are to work in the industry to MMI seems to be the right choice to make but there is just something about it that doesnt make me want to pull the trigger.

Please let me know what I should do Dr. Psy.

Regards,
    The Lost Fish who has finally seen a glimpse of light.

if words were bricks, then this topic could build 6,000 great walls of china

TunaFishyMe

o giga, you are such a poet and you dont even kno'et

imma cut you up Senior Member lIIIIIIIIIIl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TunaFishyMe View Post
    o giga, you are such a poet and you dont even kno'et
    3 words.

big
    ass
    fail

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12