A Question :D

This is a discussion on A Question :D within the Off Topic forums, part of the Entertainment category; Well, before i post this in the off topic section, i wanna see if you guys can figure this out ...
Page: 1

J

Well, before i post this in the off topic section, i wanna see if you guys can figure this out 1st.

According to the legend of the Tower of Hanoi (originally the "Tower of Brahma" in a temple in the Indian city of Benares), the temple priests are to transfer a tower consisting of 64 fragile disks of gold from one part of the temple to another, one disk at a time. The disks are arranged in order, no two of them the same size, with the largest on the bottom and the smallest on top. Because of their fragility, a larger disk may never be placed on a smaller one, and there is only one intermediate location where disks can be temporarily placed. It is said that before the priests complete their task the temple will crumble into dust and the world will vanish in a clap of thunder.

In the classic math problem, there are three posts. Disks of different sizes (call the number of disks "n") are placed on the lefthand post, arranged by size with the smallest on top. You are to transfer all the disks to the righthand post in the fewest possible moves, without ever placing a larger disk on a smaller one. One move is considered to be moving one disk from one post to another post.

How many moves will it take to transfer n disks from the left post to the right post?

I know its really messy, but try to follow #1, #2, #3...etc

i like chocolate,

on topic, i have no idea

J

Thx for your input

wynne.

i like chocolate.

the answer is 4,
    why?
    cause it is my favorite number :P

kiss from etienne :P

the_stiffmeister

well....this is easy to figure out but im too lazy to figure it out...so ill tellu how...

place the top ring on the 2nd post, then the next smallest ring on the 3rd post...then place the 2 rings on the 3rd post...then move the next smallest ring on the 2nd post...

move the stack of 2 onto the other loose ring...

continue to do so....

no idea how many moves it would take but if someone is willing to tough it out, ill split the cookie with you :wub:

J

well....this is easy to figure out but im too lazy to figure it out...so ill tellu how...

place the top ring on the 2nd post, then the next smallest ring on the 3rd post...then place the 2 rings on the 3rd post...then move the next smallest ring on the 2nd post...

move the stack of 2 onto the other loose ring...

continue to do so....

no idea how many moves it would take but if someone is willing to tough it out, ill split the cookie with you :wub:[/b]
    Um, you can only pick up one at a time, so how you gonna take the stack of 2 onto another ring...i drew a picture for a reason...

Senior Boss Senior Member grosman's Avatar

fak... too much to read

FatM4n

it takes minimum 65 moves cuz it's 65 discs to move, dunno if it's the shortets amount of moves, prolly more.
    3*64=180+12=192 so I guess 192 moves

J

No.