Research Paper

This is a discussion on Research Paper within the Off Topic forums, part of the Entertainment category; I'm writing a research paper in English...has to be 4-6 pages long, 4 being minimum 6 being max, and was ...
Page: 1

Warrior of the Brocoli Senior Member Parasitic's Avatar

I'm writing a research paper in English...has to be 4-6 pages long, 4 being minimum 6 being max, and was just wondering how long my thesis statement should be :unsure:

OohYouTouchedMyTraLa

1 paragraph if I'm not mistaken. but it should be a long one, including the main idea of the subsequent paragraphs. I hope im not mistaken xD

I&#39;ve got two short sentences, and 1 kinda long sentence so far >< trying to think of something else to put.

EpsaNomaly

Umm, if you mean basically an Intro Paragraph, I do mine like this:

1st sentence: Interesting lead-in, very very general
    2nd sentence: Narrowing down into somewhat more specific
    3rd sentence: Say what the paper is roughly about, but not completely specific that it&#39;s the actual thesis, but make sure that the reader knows what the entire thing is going to be based on
    4th sentence: Thesis statement. I like to keep them nice, clean, and as short as possible (but just make sure it says completely what your going to be proving)
    Edit: Also in thesis, make sure to say that "Blah blah this is what I&#39;m proving, and here are the ways that I&#39;m proving it (what the next paragraphs are about)"
    I think that&#39;s good....meh

Hope that helps >___<

Umm, if you mean basically an Intro Paragraph, I do mine like this:

1st sentence: Interesting lead-in, very very general
    2nd sentence: Narrowing down into somewhat more specific
    3rd sentence: Say what the paper is roughly about, but not completely specific that it&#39;s the actual thesis, but make sure that the reader knows what the entire thing is going to be based on
    4th sentence: Thesis statement. I like to keep them nice, clean, and as short as possible (but just make sure it says completely what your going to be proving)

Hope that helps >___<[/b]
    I got that, but not in that exact order xD ty for tips, I really appreciate them....if I fail this research paper I am guaranteed to fail English this year, and I&#39;ll be a senior again next year >_<

EpsaNomaly

Lol, well then good luck

Oh, if you have the right kind of teacher that likes this, then just keep asking for tutorials for it and stuff like that. Make sure the teacher knows you want to do really really well, and they will help you out

Lol, well then good luck

Oh, if you have the right kind of teacher that likes this, then just keep asking for tutorials for it and stuff like that. Make sure the teacher knows you want to do really really well, and they will help you out [/b]
    I wish that were true my teachers a bitch, shes smart, but still a bitch, you can&#39;t even ask a question without catching attitude...especially me since I never pay attention in class XD If I ever need help, I&#39;ma go ask my junior year english teacher, shes easier to work with :P

EDIT: Uh....I can&#39;t say, "I&#39;m going to prove bla bla bla" I can&#39;t use I or Me or anything like that, so how am I gonna say what I&#39;m going to prove?

EpsaNomaly

I didn&#39;t mean literally haha >___<

Here&#39;s an example from one of my papers, it was written during one of those In-Class Essay things
    It&#39;s about Edward Scissorhands, had to make a thesis about the film etc. blah blah (also, I&#39;m a sophomore, so it may not be as good as your&#39;s should be)

In modern day America, it is commonplace for films to be extrordinarily outlandish in order to express a much deeper meaning by epitomizing and hyperbolizing it. Tim Burton is well known for his dark, eccentric style in his films, yet each and every one conveys a seperate, interesting but pertinent thematic. Edward Scissorhands is possibly one of Tim Burton&#39;s best films, as it greatly portrays the modern-day misfit in the American society. Tim Burton&#39;s ubiquitous use of pairing up the innocent and the macabre, the clean and the gruesome, in order to further his notion that not all evil-appearing things are truly what they appear to be, and likewise that the innocent-seeming are not necessarily what they appear to be.

Sorry, it&#39;s a little bit confusing cause I was in a bit of a rush and didn&#39;t have the chance to go back and edit >__<
    Hope this kinda helps :S

I didn&#39;t mean literally haha >___<

Here&#39;s an example from one of my papers, it was written during one of those In-Class Essay things
    It&#39;s about Edward Scissorhands, had to make a thesis about the film etc. blah blah (also, I&#39;m a sophomore, so it may not be as good as your&#39;s should be)

In modern day America, it is commonplace for films to be extrordinarily outlandish in order to express a much deeper meaning by epitomizing and hyperbolizing it. Tim Burton is well known for his dark, eccentric style in his films, yet each and every one conveys a seperate, interesting but pertinent thematic. Edward Scissorhands is possibly one of Tim Burton&#39;s best films, as it greatly portrays the modern-day misfit in the American society. Tim Burton&#39;s ubiquitous use of pairing up the innocent and the macabre, the clean and the gruesome, in order to further his notion that not all evil-appearing things are truly what they appear to be, and likewise that the innocent-seeming are not necessarily what they appear to be.

Sorry, it&#39;s a little bit confusing cause I was in a bit of a rush and didn&#39;t have the chance to go back and edit >__<
    Hope this kinda helps :S[/b]
    Thanks, I think I found something to add on that will wrap up my thesis statement, but seriously thanks so much xD been worrying about this for a while now =/

EpsaNomaly

No problem, hope it all goes well ^___^

Don&#39;t listen to these people... Thesis statements depend upon your teacher. Most likely your teacher is using MLA Format so if that is the case then 2 sentences or even 1.

Don&#39;t listen to these people... Thesis statements depend upon your teacher. Most likely your teacher is using MLA Format so if that is the case then 2 sentences or even 1.[/b]
    Yeah, we&#39;re using MLA, but I want my thesis to be a little longer because the whole paper&#39;s going to be at least 4 pages long >_< want a longer thesis xD

cRuX

Whatever you do make sure it&#39;s a conversational style/tone. Any other writing the teacher will be bored with and will treat it like it&#39;s boring. Don&#39;t be cutesy or over the top or go out of the way for a joke but don&#39;t just write "i&#39;m going to talk about abortion and why it shouldn&#39;t happen. Abortion is against the bible and is killing and murder and wrong".