Restore 2nd HDD data after buying new motherboard

This is a discussion on Restore 2nd HDD data after buying new motherboard within the Off Topic forums, part of the Entertainment category; My previous motherboard has been burned and i bought a new 1... I saved everything on the second HDD and ...
Page: 1

Banned

Thumbs down

My previous motherboard has been burned and i bought a new 1...
    I saved everything on the second HDD and i formated the 1st HDD80gb to install win xp home because after i installed the new
    motherboard windows wouldn't boot...
    The problem is that my second HDD is 200gb and windows can't recognize more than 130gb.
    I had in that HDD almost 160gb data including the service pack2 for xp which i must download again.
    I know i have to download data lifeguard tool from western digital web site to unlock the 130gb limit but even then i think it will ask me to format 2nd HDD too :S
    Is there anyway to restore my precious data??Can i insert the 200gb HDD on a friends pc and copy the data i need from there?

i would appreciate your help!

Banned Senior Member

It's not windows, it's your motherboard. My old Motherboard could read over 130gb easily, as well as alot of other people on ko4life. Best chance I'd say it take it to a friends house or something and either burn it all, or put it onot an external HD

Banned

I only had to install sp2 and everything is ok
    thanx

tolgahan

i had 500 GBs 2 hdd working with XP.
    do you just see an empty 130 GB ?
    are u sure u didnt used hdd jumper to limit capacity ?

Dragonfaire

Why don't you split the hard disk into multiple partitions?

i have face this problem 4 times...

and after about 100000000000000000000000000000 ways of trying to fix it... I conclude!!!

its Windows... (or older mobo)... but we can safely rule out the mobo's because all mobo are recently new (oldest 1 is 2004) they can detect the hdd fine..

so: its the version of window yo u have, it doesn't have the patch it needed to detect more than 130 gb... so normaly update it and its good.
    but also some winXP version even if you update to sp2.. till suck ... then the solution for this is.... try another version of winXP

dont u need the big hd patch so u can see over 130gb...

Banned Senior Member

might as well close this because they already said it was fixed when they installed SP2