STOP VIRGIN

This is a discussion on STOP VIRGIN within the Off Topic forums, part of the Entertainment category; http://stopvirgin.movielol.org/ The new CEO of Virgin Media, Neil Berkett, has openly stated in an interview that they think net neutrality ...
Page: 1

http://stopvirgin.movielol.org/

The new CEO of Virgin Media, Neil Berkett, has openly stated in an interview that they think net neutrality is “a load of bollocks” and claimed they're already doing deals to deliver some people’s content faster than others. They would then put websites and services that don't pay Virgin in the "slow lane", meaning those sites would load slowly and cause most users to give up using them, feeling forced to use whatever Virgin wants to push through their network.

This is not the first time an internet provider infringes upon net neutrality, but it is the first time that an ISP so brutally states that they simply plan to limit internet access to a television-like system in which the access provider completely regulates the content you have access to.

Virgin Media has over 3.5 million customers in the UK and the real danger is that when they start applying this system to their network, all major internet providers around the globe will soon follow the trend. Because this is exactly what major ISP's have been wanting to do for years.

But we can stop it.

If the masses of the internet react against this, we will set an example of what happens when one provider tries to take away our freedom. We will make it very clear that any ISP who tries to infringe upon net neutrality will see its popularity go down the drain because the users don't accept it. And we'll see to it that only the providers who care about safeguarding our internet freedom have our support.

Speak out in any way you can and spread the word.

fonzy

sorry u wrote 2 much so i didnt read xD y do i care in 2 lines

Hennessy

yea i watched it , its pretty fucked up FUCK VIRGIN MOBLE

funny u must've missed the news about trafic shaping years ago this action by virgin is a great action and is the future unfortunately however if u compare virgin to a city and consider webiste streets obviously streets that are more commonly used need to have more lanes and there speed limit increased obviously a street that is rarely used can be a one lane street and doesn't need a high speed limit as its rarely used

this has been blown out of proportion. Virgin is only one of many ISP's in the UK and they have always been screwing people over for profit. Currently it is illegal to prioritise some packets over others, all they can do is block ports and throttle bandwidth which isn't the same thing as net-neutrality really. You have to realise that virgin are a joke, the only people with them are the morons who don't mind paying £20 per month for dial-up speeds. There will always be plenty of ISP's offering unlimited access with no traffic shaping whatsoever here. Virgin are not doing well at all among hardcore users and businesses, this really just sounds like commercial suicide.

My current ISP (nildram) have gone to shit recently for the same reason: they have begun heavily throttling bandwidth. i get 56k speeds at peak times. I can't even watch youtube videos. But they are losing customers and money by the bucketload so they are looking for someone to buy them out. I'm switching ISP on monday and i should be getting 8mb unthrottled 24/7 for only £5 more. So there is no future for those cheap-ass ISPs.

@Private, thats a bad analogy. Losing net-neutrality means that more people will be forced to use the big comany websites since the bandwidth from elsewhere will be inferior. So instead of getting whatever you want from the internet, you get whatever content the highest bidder provides. It makes the internet more like television; less choice, more money. But i suppose you sheep like having decisions made for you right?

@Private, thats a bad analogy. Losing net-neutrality means that more people will be forced to use the big comany websites since the bandwidth from elsewhere will be inferior. So instead of getting whatever you want from the internet, you get whatever content the highest bidder provides. It makes the internet more like television; less choice, more money. But i suppose you sheep like having decisions made for you right?[/b]
    better sheep then the retarded fish monkeys u think u came from fucking nazi

net-neutrality WAS GONE A LONG TIME AGO with trafic shaping this is just another form which is already being used

cama

isnt that guy in the video on the site the guy that was bitching how he got lvl 70 in like 3 days in wow and how no one believed me

when did he get 70 ? getting 70 is like cake in wow i could see someone who knows there shit and is being helped could do it

Hennessy

i currently have SBC.. 6mb internet for 25 a month.. untrottleed..24/7.. good deal huh? i used to pay 20 dallors for like dialup.. heh zero was right

isnt that guy in the video on the site the guy that was bitching how he got lvl 70 in like 3 days in wow and how no one believed me[/b]
    yes its athene. he had a paladin on my battlegroup before i quit, was one of the best 5v5 paladins but not so hot in 3v3

he levelled in 1 day playedtime to 70. All he did was use some exploit with level 70's killing mobs for him but he gets the full xp.

better sheep then the retarded fish monkeys u think u came from fucking nazi[/b]
    are you 6 years old? Moron.

net-neutrality WAS GONE A LONG TIME AGO with trafic shaping this is just another form which is already being used[/b]
    net neutrality is a lot more complex than just traffic shaping. Shaping can and has been used to improve performance, it isn't inherently bad. Richer companies having network priority over small companies and individuals is a totally different concept and serves no purpose other than to increase their profits.