Bio Computers

This is a discussion on Bio Computers within the Off Topic forums, part of the Entertainment category; Article source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/200...cteria-computer Scanning electron micrograph of E. coli bacteria. A rapidly growing colony can be programmed to act as ...
Page: 1

Article source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/200...cteria-computer

Scanning electron micrograph of E. coli bacteria. A rapidly growing colony can be programmed to act as a hugely powerful parallel computer. Photograph: Getty

Computers are evolving – literally. While the tech world argues netbooks vs notebooks, synthetic biologists are leaving traditional computers behind altogether. A team of US scientists have engineered bacteria that can solve complex mathematical problems faster than anything made from silicon.

The research, published today in the Journal of Biological Engineering, proves that bacteria can be used to solve a puzzle known as the Hamiltonian Path Problem. Imagine you want to tour the 10 biggest cities in the UK, starting in London (number 1) and finishing in Bristol (number 10). The solution to the Hamiltonian Path Problem is the the shortest possible route you can take.

This simple problem is surprisingly difficult to solve. There are over 3.5 million possible routes to choose from, and a regular computer must try them out one at a time to find the shortest. Alternatively, a computer made from millions of bacteria can look at every route simultaneously. The biological world also has other advantages. As time goes by, a bacterial computer will actually increase in power as the bacteria reproduce.

Programming such a computer is no easy task, however. The researchers coded a simplified version of the problem, using just three cities, by modifying the DNA of Escherichia coli bacteria. The cities were represented by a combination of genes causing the bacteria to glow red or green, and the possible routes between the cities were explored by the random shuffling of DNA. Bacteria producing the correct answer glowed both colours, turning them yellow.

The experiment worked, and the scientists checked the yellow bacteria's answer by examining their DNA sequence. By using additional genetic differences such as resistance to particular antibiotics, the team believe their method could be expanded to solve problems involving more cities.

This is not the only problem bacteria can solve. The research builds on previous work by the same team, who last year created a bacterial computer to solve the Burnt Pancake Problem. This unusually named conundrum is a mathematical sorting process that can be visualised as a stack of pancakes, all burnt on one side, which must be ordered by size.

In addition to proving the power of bacterial computing, the team have also contributed significantly to the field of synthetic biology. Just as electronic circuits are made from transistors, diodes and other devices, so too are biological circuits. Synthetic biologists have worked together to create the Registry of Standard Biological Parts, and this new research has contributed more than 60 new components to the list.

For more information on the expanding field of synthetic biology, download the latest edition of the Guardian's Science Weekly podcast. Alok Jha and James Randerson were joined in the pod by synthetic biologist Paul Freemont, professor of protein crystallography at Imperial College London, to discuss a future of biological machines.[/b]

evilwevel

imagine a computer that'll make you sick when it's broken :lol:

i just broke my laptop and now i have to see the doctor for some antibiotics :P

the fact that it get's faster and better over time does sound interesting. but it'll be a great problem for the companies that sell those new computers. you wouldn't want to buy a new one because it keeps on getting better.

El Gran Tanke Senior Member gimmecookiesnao's Avatar

holy shit... wow its just fucking amazing to me...

super smart fucking e. coli?

we gonnna be pissing shit if that shit ever back fires..

They may not come out to the Public for 10-20 years, they will be very expensive when they do though. :P

evilwevel

They may not come out to the Public for 10-20 years, they will be very expensive when they do though. :P[/b]
    the first personal computer was expensive as well, and nowadays even poor students like me can afford stuff that would make most computer scientists cum back then

hope it gets in the next 40 years though. i'll be around 65 then => no job => loads of time + new kind of computer => happy time.

Your gonna be an old fart "pwning noobs" (old gamer slang) with your Bio Computer in your favorite Virtual Reality Shooter/MMO.

As fast as the technology is progressing, I highly doubt we'll be seeing these "in the wild", so to speak, for quite some time. And, if they do ever figure out how to get these into the hands of the public, I also doubt the US will get to see much of them. It'll be the same argument as the whole stem cell thing. Genuinely productive and innovative research roadblocked because the scientist's actions violate the believer's views of the world. Oh well.

If I had to guess, we won't be seeing these do much for the public for another 50 or so years. The professional sector, though, such as them being used in medical practices or something similar, probably 35-40, maybe.

evilwevel

Your gonna be an old fart "pwning noobs" (old gamer slang) with your Bio Computer in your favorite Virtual Reality Shooter/MMO.[/b]
    just imagine all the new video slang i'll have to learn.

i'll probably type something like L2aim and they'll search wikipedia for hieroglyph translations :lol:

@shurt :

good think i'm living in europe then, and the fact i'll probably have to learn to program and work with those new computers. but i really doubt they will be making bio computers out of bacteria. i'd bet my money on brain implants in order to upgrade our brain so we can use different pieces of hardware by thought (like wifi adapters and such)

@shurt :

good think i'm living in europe then, and the fact i'll probably have to learn to program and work with those new computers. but i really doubt they will be making bio computers out of bacteria. i'd bet my money on brain implants in order to upgrade our brain so we can use different pieces of hardware by thought (like wifi adapters and such)[/b]
    I've no doubt that one day things will be like that. If you've seen anything about augmented reality (something I just discovered a couple days ago) it's already a step in that direction. However, before we can get to that point, we have to understand how to program the bacteria to do what we want. Once we've got that down, we can program individual tissues to work with the computers we have now. Problem would come in writing a program that can siphon information off the internet, and then use our brains as the processor. Interesting science, but VERY far off unfortunately. Would be fun though, lol.

Biological CPU's will probably be used by the military in probably 10-20 years, and the public may not get them for 30-40 but they will be very expensive and only available to richer people or crazy people.

by 2012 they'll figure out how to make terminators and the world will be doomed

Banned Senior Member

Skynet called, they want their... oh shi-

evilwevel

I've no doubt that one day things will be like that. If you've seen anything about augmented reality (something I just discovered a couple days ago) it's already a step in that direction. However, before we can get to that point, we have to understand how to program the bacteria to do what we want. Once we've got that down, we can program individual tissues to work with the computers we have now. Problem would come in writing a program that can siphon information off the internet, and then use our brains as the processor. Interesting science, but VERY far off unfortunately. Would be fun though, lol.[/b]
    i just watched a whole show on discovery about augmented reality :P one of the things that surprised me the most is that they are already able to make circuits on a contact lens. so in the near future they should be able to get some Bluetooth in there, and then you could stream video directly to the lens. we could have vision like in most cyborg movies, the ability to zoom in, sharpen and probably thousands of other things.

Define ʎʇılɐǝɹ. Senior Member The_Real_PlodeZ's Avatar

ಠ_ಠ