Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What do you think?

This is a discussion on What do you think? within the Off Topic forums, part of the Entertainment category; ur 16.... finish high school... save that money and finish college.... then you won't have to wrry about buying a ...
Page: 2

D4rkBP

ur 16.... finish high school... save that money and finish college.... then you won't have to wrry about buying a 1k car and fixing it, u'll just buy a brand new one[/b]
    I'm not waiting 3 years to finish high school. Also I'm going into an army based life, haven't deicded between navy or air force

Legendary Mage Senior Member tHeUnBeAtAbLe's Avatar

Do you have to always ruin every topic you post on with your pesimism? -.-[/b]
    It's not, if you think it's pessimism then i'll just stop posting on the topic. I am just saying that it is more beneficial to just finish up school and then college and get a great job from that and buy a brand new car. Trust me it's not worth buying an old one and trying to fix it, cause first it will cost you a shitload of more $ and you will just waste a huge amount of your time.

ps. Like for example for me, I don't plan on buying a new car for the next 4 years, MAYBE when i'm done my biomedical major, so for that time just use my parent's car, they are always more then happy to let go from place to place any time.

Do you have to always ruin every topic you post on with your pesimism? -.-[/b]

that's not pesimism, that's building up your future

Big Gizzle Senior Member Disturbed's Avatar

I was thinking of getting like a 1965 flashback mustang and doing that, It's pretty sweet car. And for the money, I myself have 1500$ saved up from working and my uncle is like a Colonel in the army so he gets pay big money so thats not really that big of a deal.[/b]
    That would be nice!! I have a 65 coupe sitting outside with the original 289 and 4 spd tranny{still runs} waiting to get restored.. I couldn't find a fastback though, so hard to find..

Da Mod Father Senior Member Felix's Avatar

Well I have restored an old 1986 BMW 325i convertable and I have sold it as I found another E30 which was sooo much rarer and just a joy to drive.

Unfortianatly too many people just want to be from the Fast and the Furious and claim they know so much about cars.

I would advise you to get something that is achiveable to finish and affaordable to run. Too often people take on projects that are just too big or expensive for them to do.

Restoring a car is not going to be a finaical investment but a labour of love and insanity.

I would advise on working out what you want from the car before you start. Also what cars do you already love? I have no knowldge of American mucel so not really able to advise you to well. I always loved the dodge Charger as it looked so evil with the mean looking grill.

With a modern classic ( around 25 years old ) look at ones that have a well known and soldid engine. Parts can always be a pain but with a car around 25 years it's easy to do. Sometimes it's nice to have a sleeper and destroy people at lights and on the high way. My Alpina is one of 74 converted and it looks like a clean pretty normal BMW

How ever the car has a 0 - 60 time of 6.5 seconds and will still do 141 mph with the LSD I have on her.

Also when you get your car stock pile parts when you can , I have alot of spare Alpin abits , such as 2 exhuast Manifolds , 1 spare exhuast system , 5 Spare Alpina wheels with tyres , Spare body parts , Suspention sets. It makes life alot easier and when I go to shows I will always be able to get some bit I need. Another key thing is get involed with an owners club as you normally get alot of help and advise from other members and you can find parts alot easier. I am a member of the BMW CC and e30 zone and I have done 8 shows since the start of June and it's a great way of making friends.

Also if your in a classic people are so different to you on the road and Police tend to be much more forgivinginmy experince. If you want any help oce you choose a car feel free to get hold of me.

(\/) (;,,;) (\/) Why not Zoidberg? Admin camaz0tz's Avatar

That's just ridiculas.. idk maybe not, ive grown up around this shit my whole life.
    Buy a 1969 Chevelle, trust me once its restored you'll thank me.
    http://www.aclassicauto.com/photos/'69...$28500.JPG[/b]
    gotta remember that figure of hours includes replacing rusted spots, redoing wiring, etc...basicly stripping the car replacing all the rust then putting in new everything else...for an amateur doing it for the 1st time its been estimated to take around 2k hours of work

and yes i realize hes doing this for fun, but still the amount of hours needed just isnt worth it in my opinion 2k hours of work at minimum wage here(9.25/hour) thats $18,500...the time spent restoring the car could be spent working and buying either one pre-fixed up and/or a brand new car uve had ur eye fancing

im also the kinda person who wants to get it GREAT the first time so that im not stuck dealing with problem after problem after problem for the next X amount of years i use the car which is what would happen if u just do the bare amount of work to get it to running

gotta remember that figure of hours includes replacing rusted spots, redoing wiring, etc...basicly stripping the car replacing all the rust then putting in new everything else...for an amateur doing it for the 1st time its been estimated to take around 2k hours of work

and yes i realize hes doing this for fun, but still the amount of hours needed just isnt worth it in my opinion 2k hours of work at minimum wage here(9.25/hour) thats $18,500...the time spent restoring the car could be spent working and buying either one pre-fixed up and/or a brand new car uve had ur eye fancing

im also the kinda person who wants to get it GREAT the first time so that im not stuck dealing with problem after problem after problem for the next X amount of years i use the car which is what would happen if u just do the bare amount of work to get it to running[/b]
    He has an uncle that used to race and build custom cars for a hobby. I doubt that he would work alone. Especially since he is 16...

(\/) (;,,;) (\/) Why not Zoidberg? Admin camaz0tz's Avatar

He has an uncle that used to race and build custom cars for a hobby. I doubt that he would work alone. Especially since he is 16...[/b]
    ya but he only said the uncle would be helping with parts and everything(which i assumed meant tools), not the restoring of the car

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12