Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What is Evil and Good?

This is a discussion on What is Evil and Good? within the Off Topic forums, part of the Entertainment category; yoghurt.. h34r:...
Page: 2

yoghurt.. h34r:

1. Does evil exist? Depends on your definition. If evil is wrongdoing then yes of course.
    2. Born evil or be made to evil? Both are possible.
    3. Is there more evil now then there was 5 years ago, 5,000 years ago? I think that human nature is the same, however improved living standards mean that there is less desperation and fear in the average person.
    4. Is everybody capable of becoming evil?Freud thought so, i would tend to agree.

I don't like the word evil. It is too polar in that it implies something or someone that does very bad things for no reason. At least I associate evil with religious connotations. Some people state that Satan or an equivalent as the prime-evil. I do not think this type of evil exists. I think that all people are capable of bad things and it is only social protocols and our self-control that prevent it. If we didn't have the capability to do bad things then there would be no need to teach children right from wrong, and there wouldn't be millions of people who need a book to get moral guidance. I suppose the cliche of evil personified is Hitler, or maybe Stalin. It is quite puerile to label them as evil since many of their intentions were benevolent and in their minds they thought they were doing good things for mankind, and so did many of their followers. Someone could only be evil if they act on evil deeds full in knowledge that they are wrong. I would attribute this to insanity or retardation rather than evil however.

And after the whole "axis of evil" debacle, the word has lost any meaning. Apparently now anyone who disagrees with you is evil.

Aba

I really want to read this...but I'm too tired tonight maybe tomorrow

To punish and enslave Senior Member Magyk's Avatar

Evil comes from religion. No evil=no religion=no standards=....blablabla....=no human society=no human race.

everything in human nature comes down to greed, evil is human nature at its worst.[/b]

or.. at its best :/
    its like an art to be evil...
    u can&#39;t just walk down the road and start kicking the shit out of old women then call urself evil >_<

Ripper_of_romania

everything an atheist doesnt understand blames it on religion[/b]
    No really,acording to religion we were given the right to choose between good and evil.Pure crap.
    As a human you want to maximize the benefits out of an situation,and this makes you maximize them through every means necesarry,good or bad,you cannot do anything about it.

To take the beating crap of old people example.You do it for a reason : you&#39;re sadomasochistic and need your daily doze,you want fun,you want to relief yourself,you want money and so on

Religion is pure crap.Amen

Religion is pure crap.Amen[/b]
    Sry but no. Religion is the strongest force in society of inteligent creatures. Religion isnt bible or retarded terrorists. Religion is almost everything around us and inside of each and every one of us.

Good and evil are just perspectives

Protoss Arbiter Senior Member

Sry but no. Religion is the strongest force in society of inteligent creatures. Religion isnt bible or retarded terrorists. Religion is almost everything around us and inside of each and every one of us.[/b]
    You just assumed everyone intelligent = religious.
    Wrong.

Religion is specifically defined as belief in a higher power. Everything around you and inside each and everyone of you is called science, derived from the latin sciens, or knowledge, thoughts of certainty, facts.
    Religion, in fact, is far from truth. If anyone was religious and KNEW the existence of God, or any higher power, they would be classified as non-religious, because religion is faith, rather than factual knowledge.

Religion is truly a strong force in society, but it is not the strongest. The strongest, by far, is inherent human selfishness (economics) that pretty much drives society. Selfishness can be interpreted in different ways, such as selfishness for an individual, a nation, or even a planet.

Tits or destiny? Senior Member Dark3lf's Avatar

Girls are evil h34r:

Girls are evil h34r:

[/b]

lol

Protoss Arbiter Senior Member

Girls are evil h34r:

[/b]
    ._.

You just assumed everyone intelligent = religious.
    Wrong.[/b]
    Well, actually i didnt mention its a bit different in lets say machine society. But other than that, its true.

Religion is specifically defined as belief in a higher power. Everything around you and inside each and everyone of you is called science, derived from the latin sciens, or knowledge, thoughts of certainty, facts.[/b]
    It can be said like that but its not enough. U actually dont need a clear higher form like God. U can actually see that as a so called net or framework (of events) thats alter and shape ur life, both individual and cultural. It creates kind of a multi lvl realities, kinda like heaven and hell. It changes (constantly) how ur everyday belifs, feelings, attidute, tolerance and concept of what is sacred to u.

Religion, in fact, is far from truth.
    [/b]
    From science point of view?

If anyone was religious and KNEW the existence of God, or any higher power, they would be classified as non-religious, because religion is faith, rather than factual knowledge.[/b]
    Thats right, u cant mix science and religion that way coz religion isnt smth u can touch, messuare nor even try to make a 1 firm formula. Thats 1 of the dif between machine religion and ours.

Machines are created to serve , if they pass that religious barrier thay arent machines anymore.

Religion is truly a strong force in society, but it is not the strongest. The strongest, by far, is inherent human selfishness (economics) that pretty much drives society. Selfishness can be interpreted in different ways, such as selfishness for an individual, a nation, or even a planet.[/b]
    And selfishness is? Try to see whats behind that.

English aint my native language so i wont risk with bigger and deeper explanation. Dont want ppl :huh: &#39;ing on that >.<

P.S i look like tez already, quoting all and shit h34r: And btw, i dont belive in God, so im not part of a so called "common religion".

Ripper_of_romania

From science point of view?[/b]
    Science relies on proven and exact things,not things that are supposed or imagined.That&#39;s why scientists don&#39;t believe in religion also.
    Because of religion a dude got burned his entire work for saying that the earth is round and spin around it&#39;s axis,because he "defied the word of God".Yet he was right.If some1 comes with alien proofs for example,the church will categorize it as blashpemy and chain him,because everything that cannot be explained is considered to be the work of the evil.And no,atheists don&#39;t pass every unknown thing on religion,atheists just don&#39;t believe in God,and opinions are different among persons.
    Amen

Science relies on proven and exact things,not things that are supposed or imagined.That&#39;s why scientists don&#39;t believe in religion also.[/b]

Thats what i said :P U cant touch ur feelings and belifs

But ques what, Einstein was deeply religious. His work was strongly influenced by that. The thing that made him to come up with unified theory for all forces was coz he couldnt stand quantum mechanics. He didnt accept that this world can be so random. He wanted all to be predicted and be able to calculate. It was like he wanted to decipher God.

Anyways we are getting too off topic already

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast