Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Where Do You Work?

This is a discussion on Where Do You Work? within the Off Topic forums, part of the Entertainment category; Where do you work and what do you do? ----- My Job: Security Guard Where: Chemical Plant (Shut Down) What ...
Page: 1

Where do you work and what do you do?

-----

My Job: Security Guard
    Where: Chemical Plant (Shut Down)
    What I Do: I sit on my ass playing games for a few hours, take a 20min walk around the plant, play games for a few more hours, another 20min walk, play games for a few more hours, another 20min walk, play games untill my shift is over. I have 12 hour night shifts doing almost no work and I get payed for it. :P

Whats yours?

jokes

That was not a very nice thing to post, I was about to direct a mod/admin to this topic and that would have easily gotten you suspended.

Banned Senior Member

My Job: Finishing Assistant
    Where: Transcontinental Printing: RBW Graphics (Printing Factory)
    What I do: Various things as a Finishing Assistant. When working on the pockets, making sure each one of them is loaded, and any papers that could possibly jam the machine have to be removed. All depending on that job, each section of the print could go by quickly or slowly so having multiple pockets ( usually 3, sometimes around 5 ) can either be easy or bothersome if it's going too quickly.

If on a loader, then making sure the entire part of the machine is fully loaded with each stack ( usually around 3000-6000 sections ) and just like before, making sure that any of the sections that could possibly jam the machine or cause rejects to come out must be removed.

When on the end of the line, could be doing a few things. Usually it's just piling down the orders onto skids. Getting them from the machine and then placing them in a certain order on the skid. After about 140 or so bundles ( about 1100 books or so ) remove the skid, call the people over with the computer who take it to shipping, and get a new skid ready to go. Each skid takes ~10 mins to do or so, I prefer doing this because it seems to make the time go by faster. When doing Mailing, it's essentially the same but each skid is different sized and if there are rejects made from earlier, then we need to add the re-ordered prints in the correct bundles since these are all inkjetted for customer's addresses, they all need to be together.

The few times i've been on the press... eh.... being the lowest ranked person there just means when the machine jams or rips the paper going through it, I sit there and watch while the rest of them fix the issue.

12 hour shifts, they vary from days to nights each week with 7 days a month and 7 nights a month. But I do work part time right now so I'm not always needed for those shifts. It's one of the better places to work here.... however it's not exactly a place to plan my own future at

killer2675

My Job: Manager
    Where: CVS/Pharmacy
    What I Do: I boss some people around. count 10thousands of dollars a day. Move items around stock the shelves. set new endcaps for items. put out new displays take care of issues.. deal with problems customers have.. fix any probs someone cant. and talk to vendors such as pepsi, coke, frito lays ... theres plenty more just dont feel like writing..

Warrior of the Brocoli Senior Member Parasitic's Avatar

My Job: Construction Worker.
    Where: Wherever it's needed.
    What I Do: Hang/cut sheetrock, stack sheetrock, break down walls (lots of fun :P) Replace ceiling grids and tiles, put in doors/door frames. Build walls (boring as fuck)

Really, me and the people I work with (including my dad) do pretty much anything on the site, depends what the contractor wants. We normally have to fix all the fuck ups of every one else, ie electricians, IT guys (I stole their lan cables cuz they left it out ) plumbers <--- VERY STUPID PEOPLE, and whoever else makes a mess/fucks something up.

kookookachoo

My Job: Cashier/Manager
    Where: Grocery store
    What I Do: Mostly cashier, pretty obvious what I do as that. Right now they have me training to be a manager of the front-end, Central Checkout Manger. Yesterday was the first day I was actually on my own, nothing really big happened. Mostly what I was doing was running a operations board, basically telling people where to go, what lanes to open up, sending people on breaks/lunch/home, but I also help other cashiers with any problems they&#39;re having(manager overrides), any problems that customers are having, etc. Pretty much interact with people. Ive been with the company for about 3 years now, all-in-all a great experience so far. Decent pay too, I average about $175 a week for 20-30 hour weeks, but as soon as I&#39;m done with training I jump up to about $10 an hour, after taxes.

@Metalkon, How much do you make an hour? Ive always wanted to look into a security job position, but never really considered it.

@phantom, My aunt use to work for a printing company, Oberthur Gaming (dunno if i spelled that right), printing lottery tickets. Seemed like pretty good work, workout too cuz she got huge arms now from working there, always lifting and whatnot.

Banned Senior Member

My Job: Cashier/Manager
    Where: Grocery store
    What I Do: Mostly cashier, pretty obvious what I do as that. Right now they have me training to be a manager of the front-end, Central Checkout Manger. Yesterday was the first day I was actually on my own, nothing really big happened. Mostly what I was doing was running a operations board, basically telling people where to go, what lanes to open up, sending people on breaks/lunch/home, but I also help other cashiers with any problems they&#39;re having(manager overrides), any problems that customers are having, etc. Pretty much interact with people. Ive been with the company for about 3 years now, all-in-all a great experience so far. Decent pay too, I average about $175 a week for 20-30 hour weeks, but as soon as I&#39;m done with training I jump up to about $10 an hour, after taxes.

@Metalkon, How much do you make an hour? Ive always wanted to look into a security job position, but never really considered it.

@phantom, My aunt use to work for a printing company, Oberthur Gaming (dunno if i spelled that right), printing lottery tickets. Seemed like pretty good work, workout too cuz she got huge arms now from working there, always lifting and whatnot.[/b]
    Only ~$10/h for a manager style postition? damn

And ya it&#39;s not bad weight wise. The bundles of magazines are only like 20-30 lbs, but the bundles of sections that if moved off the skid ( not supposed to do... but it&#39;s alot easier ) are like.... 75-130lbs or so all depending on what style of paper had to be used

@Metalkon, How much do you make an hour? Ive always wanted to look into a security job position, but never really considered it.[/b]
    44 Hours got me $354, but $292 after taxes on my first week.

kookookachoo

44 Hours got me $354, but $292 after taxes on my first week.[/b]
    Thats not bad for just sitting there most of the time

As far as my pay, its only introductory for a couple of months, jumps up another $4-5 after that. If I were to move to full time, I would be getting $25+, but that means 40+ hour weeks, and for me right now school>work. For being 19, I could be doing worse things.

Thats not bad for just sitting there most of the time

As far as my pay, its only introductory for a couple of months, jumps up another $4-5 after that. If I were to move to full time, I would be getting $25+, but that means 40+ hour weeks, and for me right now school>work. For being 19, I could be doing worse things.[/b]
    10-11 hours of playing games or doing anything but sleeping, 1-2 hours of work. :lol:

Just gotta stay awake, I am at work right now using ko4life.

You&#39;re a bad boy Chris.

My Job: Student
    Where: High School
    What I Do: Homework, studying, and taking tests.

wawh

my job:accountant
    Where:in my dad&#39;s sports shop
    what i do:Well basicly dealing with in- and outcome money. make sure taxes are paid, hide any illegal action h34r:, making an inventory of my dad goods, dealing with investments.. etc

the shop aint really big, so its not like i have to do really a lot of work, but its nice to earn some money while still going to school...
    and its a lot cheaper to let my dad use me instead of some high paid asking accountant... (tho we ask a friend who is his real accountant lol to do all the official stuff.. but thats just copying the numbers i have to do the real work .. but did not finished high school yet.. so )

i don&#39;t really get paid by the hour... but its 150 euros each week.. not bad for 2 hours work each week ^_^ and im just doing my dad a favor :wub:

(\/) (;,,;) (\/) Why not Zoidberg? Admin camaz0tz's Avatar

my job: dishwasher/line cook and server/all around kitchen assistant
    where: the fillmore (http://www.livenation.com/venue/the-fillmore-tickets)
    what i do: dishwasher...thats common sense :P...then in down times of dishwashing i help prepare small meals anybody might order(like nachos, banana splits, etc)....then i might help the chefs in anything they might need, like helping them grab stuff out the freezers

i can see the stage from the kitchen so while im drying things i always watch the show xD

i get payed 10$/hour with sporatic work schedule...considering there arent shows every day...this week i work 3 days, next week 2 days, then the week after that i work 8 days straight

From the beginning Senior Member EG4L's Avatar

My old job

My Job: Chef
    Where: Le Manoir aux quat saisons (top michelin star restuarant)
    What I Do: I worked there for 2 weeks work experience and made such a good impression the head chef wanted to keep me on so i worked there for around 2months. I helped the chefs with preparing the food, made sure all the ingredients were fresh and clean, made the starters / apps, designed the presentation of the food and style and gutted a load of fish at the end of the day ;D . Used to work from 8am to 5pm (this was in summer holidays so no school) and got paid £7/hr.

What i do now

My Job: Shop assisant
    Where: Local toolshop
    What I Do: Sell handtools, powertools, old parts, air tools. Have to give advice to people if they get problems and if they want recomendations to the best. Deal with returns and faults and try fixin them. We deal with Stihl chainsaws and machines so i can service some but don&#39;t do it much and know how to sharpen the chains etc..I work every saturday and some weekdays when they need me, £6.50/hr + Lunch(dominos/subway or fish+chips ) and 8:30hrs a day but get paid for 9.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast