Wire colours and Positive/Negative

This is a discussion on Wire colours and Positive/Negative within the Off Topic forums, part of the Entertainment category; Ok so.... moved around my surround sound setup today and... like an idiot I forgot to check which colours were ...
Page: 1

Banned Senior Member

Ok so.... moved around my surround sound setup today and... like an idiot I forgot to check which colours were what on the receiver -_- My system only has white/black and white cables. Each one is labled with what part of the sound it handles so thats not a problem. Issue i&#39;m having is that I dont know which one is positve or negative >< Apparently it doesnt do anything but distort the sound if you mix them up, but I want it to be right

Who knows wires here :x

And yes... admin abuse for tech topic in offtopic!

im an electronics enginner, but i dont deal with simple stuff like that :P im pretty sure your white will be positive, and your black will be negitive as if it was red + black.

Open up the plug if its coming from one, and look at where they are going to, then you can determin whats what, or you can have a guess by trying white in positive and black in neg, then if it dosent work turn it the other way or maby its coming from the dvd, or sterio itself and it might tell you which one is + and -

If you left 2 of the speakers intact, the cable should be run into it, and it should have an input thats also another way to figure it out as you can trace it back

Without seeing it i cant help much :P

why not...

plugs em in anyway?

if its good... its good... if its bad? then change em around!!!

woa.. its not like ur speaker is gona blow up and burn ur house down or something :/

positive=red
    negative=white ? im not sure xD

banaanc

for me its all the same, no difference (i have black and black-white)

evilwevel

i&#39;d go for the plug them in and see what happends technique.

good thing everything over here is black and red or black and another color, that way it&#39;s pretty easy to find out what&#39;s + and what&#39;s -

im an electronics enginner, but i dont deal with simple stuff like that :P im pretty sure your white will be positive, and your black will be negitive as if it was red + black.

Open up the plug if its coming from one, and look at where they are going to, then you can determin whats what, or you can have a guess by trying white in positive and black in neg, then if it dosent work turn it the other way or maby its coming from the dvd, or sterio itself and it might tell you which one is + and -

If you left 2 of the speakers intact, the cable should be run into it, and it should have an input thats also another way to figure it out as you can trace it back

Without seeing it i cant help much :P[/b]
    Love people that call themselves engineers... I guess you have done ur Bsc and a work portofolio to prove your compotent enough to be an engineer or you have done your masters and recieved the relevant grades ^_^

Ok so.... moved around my surround sound setup today and... like an idiot I forgot to check which colours were what on the receiver -_- My system only has white/black and white cables. Each one is labled with what part of the sound it handles so thats not a problem. Issue i&#39;m having is that I dont know which one is positve or negative >< Apparently it doesnt do anything but distort the sound if you mix them up, but I want it to be right

And yes... admin abuse for tech topic in offtopic![/b]
    White will be your +ve in respect to your black.. depending on how its been wired

TunaFishyMe

black is ground fool

black is ground fool[/b]
    Exactly ^_^

TunaFishyMe

and you cant call yourself an engineer until you get your license or else people can sue your ass.

and you cant call yourself an engineer until you get your license or else people can sue your ass.[/b]
    And again... exactly my point :P

Without seeing it i cant help much :P[/b]
    Oh btw where are u an engineer? I&#39;d never ever plug and play with positive/negative (there is a reason one is +ve and one is -ve!!!). Get some test lamps and bell them out!!!! Ive seen somebody go to wire a 3ph invertor up and the cable wasnt really the correctly colours (BLACK BLACK GREY BROWN BLUE) he wired blue up as a phase and one black as neutral

Banned

And yes... admin abuse for tech topic in offtopic![/b]
    black is rear left, white is rear right