Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

X : 0 = infinity ?

This is a discussion on X : 0 = infinity ? within the Off Topic forums, part of the Entertainment category; Well 10^100 1 googol but 10^1000000 much bigger...
Page: 3

FatM4n

Well
    10^100 1 googol
    but 10^1000000 much bigger

Minuska

I'd say TunaFishyME was closest cause you are actually talking about limits.. Thats what is this post about, we can never devide any number with zero, but we can keep track how would the outcome look like very close to the zero denomination and it's about limits ... it means you are not focused on the own point zero but you are in "close precincts" (not sure of english terminology) of this point ... When you want simplyfy it just imagine the situation in graph and look for the limits when it approximate to the "zero point" (when you are getting zero in denomination)... lim x->o (+11541214/x)=+infinitude and lim x->0 (-21324654513/x)=-infinitude....
    of course it's interesting but it's what are pupil taught at the age of 17...
    I can explain deficitions of limits but need graps and quantifiers just let me know if you need it :P It's common part of czech secondary school math lol

//no ınglısh sorry

(\/) (;,,;) (\/) Why not Zoidberg? Admin camaz0tz's Avatar

ur teacher taught u that x:0 is infinity? please tell me that isnt true....he needs to be fired A.S.A.P.

x:0 doesnt exist because u physically cant divide by 0 u might think 'well dividing by zero would leave it like u did before dividing' which is wrong...that would be dividing by 1 leaving it as a whole piece dividing by zero cannot be done no matter how long u wrap ur mind around it

u cant divide something into 0 pieces because that wouldnt be dividing thatd be subtracting...ud be subtracting 1 whole piece from what u have to equal zero

Phosgene

of course my teacher didnt tell me that...
    she just showed us all the deviding by 1/10000000 things ...
    she never told that x:0 = infinity because according to all great mathematics its imposible and wrong...
    so ...
    just checked what ppl think :P

or just think about what u learned in 1st class elementary school
    25:2=12,5

or something like this
    try this, just you need to divide with 0, u gonna be like WTF is this, than u'll recognize that dividing by 0 is totally stupid :P

Dragonfaire

Originally posted by FatM4n
    Well
    10^100 1 googol
    but 10^1000000 much bigger
    Yep

Where the time goes fast, but everything is slow

zzzzzzzzz Lim 1/x (x-->infinity) = 0
    Lim 1/x (x---> zero) = infinity

Elementary math.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123