Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Forum structure changes

This is a discussion on Forum structure changes within the Feedback forums, part of the General category; I wanna work on "low hanging fruit" today. Razor made some suggestions about the changes in the forum structure yesterday. ...
Page: 1

Default Forum structure changes

I wanna work on "low hanging fruit" today. Razor made some suggestions about the changes in the forum structure yesterday. What do u think about them? Are these ok? Should we add more changes?

Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    alright, suggestion list:

1. Merge blizzard and MOBA games section into PC gaming.
    2. Delete subforums in Console section and add prefixes [PS3][X360][PS4][XB1][SONY][MICROSOFT][WIIU] etc
    3. Shoutbox.
    4. Rename Boxing club to Grudge section or Call Outs section or even Fight Club, don't want anything that resembles that other forum.
    5. Better skin theme (ko related maybe)
    6. Trades section in each member's profile, even if it has to be edited manually, it could come in handy. Just need the name of the trade, item / money traded, who went first, payment method used, outcome, trader rating (success / failure + explain what happened) and the link to the thread.
    7. "Other" gaming forum section removed / threads merged 1 by 1 (probably time consuming)
    8. Restrict regular users from opening threads in the announcements section. (and delete this: Test )
    9. Rename "Cheaters" to "Trading disputes & reports".
    10. Remove the link to "Off topic" inside the main KO forum.
    11. Merge "Tech support" with "Hacked accounts" (section used mainly to ask wtf to do when you get hacked) into the new "Technical help" section.
    12. Remove the flood control.
    13. Update the private server forum rules, remove the "no KO to PS trades" rule, add "Posts must be made in english" and "Excessive thread hijacking will be punished" rules.
    14. Add a "2 weeks before being able to post" rule to the Private server section.
    15. Restrict regular users from opening threads in the Hall of Shame
    16. Move the Hall of Shame outside the KO section.
    17. Remove the current subforums from Off topic.
    18. Put the Archive section into the Off Topic section.
    19. Remove General entertainment and merge into Off Topic subforums: Media (music and videos, basically youtube stuff) and TV & movies, anime & manga.
    20. Merge "Clans" and "In-Game Requests" into "Recruitment and In-game requests". Add [Recruiting] and [Looking for] prefixes.
    21. With the KO section now only consisting of General Chat, PS Area, Technical Help, Game questions & tips, Media, Recruitment, Trading disputes & reports and Marketplace (8), there's no need to have the entire Knight Online Section redirect you to an entirely different window, I believe it can all be kept in one page now, making all the other sections more accessible for everyone.
    22. Forum now should look like
    0. Shoutbox
    1. Forum discussion
    1.1 Announcements
    1.2 Feedback
    1.3 Introduction section
    1.4 Hall of Shame

2. Knight Online
    2.1 General chat (Talk about anything KO related here)
    2.2 Private Servers (Advertise, recruit and discuss anything about unofficial knight online servers)
    2.3 Game questions and tips (Ask any questions regarding your character in-game and KO knowledge in general)
    2.4 Technical Help (Get help regarding hardware, your KO account, game settings and general tech knowledge)
    2.5 Media (Post any KO related media in here)
    2.6 Recruitment and In game requests (Looking for a clan? clan recruitees? sharers? trade mods? or maybe an specific in game request? Post here)
    2.7 Trading Disputes & Reports (Report any and all suspicious activities from community members in here).
    2.8 Marketplace (Sell any KO goodies in here) (add a "Intergames trades" section, KO -> other games and viceversa).

3. General Gaming
    3.1 PC gaming (subforum: marketplace)
    3.2 Console gaming
    3.3 Retro games

4. Entertainment
    4.1 Offtopic (general section and then subforums: media, tv & movies, anime)
    4.2 Flame section (rename pending) (description: rant about anything, call out people, and act as rude as you can be. just be careful when delving into sensitive topics)
    4.3 Archive

I think this would work nicely!
    Chavoc and Jonko like this.

The knight online forum skin should only be applied to the ko4life section. Maybe a skin including every game covered here? (League of Legends, Knight Online, etc etc.

Lets not talk about cosmetics here please. I rather focus on the structure changes and that I can do today.

Quote Originally Posted by Devile View Post
    Lets not talk about cosmetics here please. I rather focus on the structure changes and that I can do today.
    Then everything suggested is fine. The main (and probably only) problem with this forum is that everything is spread out. The only thing really necessary is to merge sections that can be merged and delete sections not used anymore (Like the Counter Strike section for example)

Little archer Senior Member

Oops you obviously already had checked it out, disregard that part in the PM then ;D

Everything is fine except shoutbox

Razor for president
    Darken likes this.

Ancient Tribesman Moderator Darken's Avatar
    In deep d4rk forest, with thick mists is something valuable hidden.The Village of Golden Tribesman

Quote Originally Posted by Jonko View Post
    Everything is fine except shoutbox

Razor for president
    It looks fine to me for now as a first aid too. And Agree on shoutbox, I think we can live without that.

Meh I like a shoutbox, if mods are active (hint hint) then small questions could be quickly answered.

I believe it'd increase forum activity, maybe it could be tested for a week or two to see how it does. Shoutbox tends to fail when its plagued by people complaining about something, advertisements, and is barely moderated in general. I think it could be fun however!

shoutboxes can make or kill forums to be honest...

www.professionalko.com Senior Member nickos3's Avatar

Disable the Topic Rating in the PSKO Adv section. Or, at least, make the names of the users who voted, public.

Haters and other server owners are voting down topics. No matter if a server is good or, if they played on it at all. They'll just vote down.

Quote Originally Posted by nickos3 View Post
    Disable the Topic Rating in the PSKO Adv section. Or, at least, make the names of the users who voted, public.

Haters and other server owners are voting down topics. No matter if a server is good or, if they played on it at all. They'll just vote down.
    I'd just disable it. Really abused in that section.

Adi
    Banned Senior Member

I recommend adding some topic prefixes in some sections, I thought:

- Recruitment and In-game requests should also have [Recruiting] and not just "Sharer" and "Looking".
    - General Chat, the prefixes are outdated. It shows old server's names instead of the new ones..
    - PC Gaming section, perhaps add some prefixes? MMORPG, MOBA?

Took me quite a while but finished most of this. Some comments:

5. Better skin theme (ko related maybe) -> Any cosmetics will have to wait a little longer
    6. Trades section in each member's profile, even if it has to be edited manually, it could come in handy. Just need the name of the trade, item / money traded, who went first, payment method used, outcome, trader rating (success / failure + explain what happened) and the link to the thread. -> Not sure what this is
    7. "Other" gaming forum section removed / threads merged 1 by 1 (probably time consuming) -> Need mods help here.
    12. Remove the flood control. -> I reduced it to a fraction. It's always useful.
    13. Update the private server forum rules, remove the "no KO to PS trades" rule, add "Posts must be made in english" and "Excessive thread hijacking will be punished" rules. -> Need mods help here.
    14. Add a "2 weeks before being able to post" rule to the Private server section. -> I think we should start a discussion about ranks, titles and their settings cause this little change will require a new rank/title. Regular, Senior, etc. Lets discuss post count, age, etc.
    15. Restrict regular users from opening threads in the Hall of Shame -> They can only reply. That's ok?.
    17. Remove the current subforums from Off topic. -> There are like 8k+ threads on those subs. Do we really want to put all those in a single forum???
    19. Remove General entertainment and merge into Off Topic subforums: Media (music and videos, basically youtube stuff) and TV & movies, anime & manga. -> Not sure how Offtopic is gonna end.
    21. With the KO section now only consisting of General Chat, PS Area, Technical Help, Game questions & tips, Media, Recruitment, Trading disputes & reports and Marketplace (8), there's no need to have the entire Knight Online Section redirect you to an entirely different window, I believe it can all be kept in one page now, making all the other sections more accessible for everyone. -> Not sure what this meant

Quote Originally Posted by Adi View Post
    I recommend adding some topic prefixes in some sections, I thought:

- Recruitment and In-game requests should also have [Recruiting] and not just "Sharer" and "Looking".
    - General Chat, the prefixes are outdated. It shows old server's names instead of the new ones..
    - PC Gaming section, perhaps add some prefixes? MMORPG, MOBA?
    Done already ... i think
    Adi likes this.

Adi
    Banned Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devile View Post
    15. Restrict regular users from opening threads in the Hall of Shame -> They can only reply. That's ok?.
    17. Remove the current subforums from Off topic. -> There are like 8k+ threads on those subs. Do we really want to put all those in a single forum???
    15. I think.
    17. I think better keep it that way.

About #5, it was just an idea, would need custom functionality and UI especially designed so probably not viable...

About #21, this is what I meant:

To have all the sections in one page straight up.

About off-topic and other stuff... not sure. Nobody really checks that anymore so to be honest I wouldn't mind if all of those threads were just moved to the archive to start anew.

I suggested some rule changes in that one other thread. I think they're alright.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast