Why isn't HTML allowed? Just wondering.

This is a discussion on Why isn't HTML allowed? Just wondering. within the Feedback forums, part of the General category; I was just wondering why html isn't allowed in the posts. If it was would bad code cause problems with ...
Page: 1

Nosferatu_Incognito

Default Why isn't HTML allowed? Just wondering.

I was just wondering why html isn't allowed in the posts. If it was would bad code cause problems with loading the page?

I'd love to be able to setup a sig pic as a link (or anthying else my html skills allow me to do).

Hypnos

You can make a sig pic as a link.

Code:
    Leaving HTML enabled can be a security risk for forums with a lot of members, like this one. That's why it's off by default.

Nosferatu_Incognito

Ok see when I tried it I did

and it didn't work, I got "link" no space "img"

Thanks.

Hypnos

Look closer at my code. Use = on the url tag.

This is the result of the code:

Nosferatu_Incognito

Ok, something still isn't right...

http://www.ko4life.com/forums/viewtopic.ph...p?p=40818#40818

here is the code

Code:
    Ok, a few people have been jacking the +8 siggy pic off my server... So I've changed the pic name. Sorry to those of you who were jackin it but I pay for the bandwidth.

Edit, here is a link to the pic on imageshack. 

here is the url for copy and paste: img229.imageshack.us/img229/8476/85kh1fh.jpg

Hypnos

Is this what you're trying to do?
    Code:
    Result of code:

Nosferatu_Incognito

I see what was wrong, I had a space between

and
    Code:

Thanks Hypnos

As Hyp said, HTML is a huge risk. Eventho we are using the latest version of this forum, there are always new ways of exploiting XSS (Cross Side Scripting) which leads to ppl getting hacked.

XSS is pretty common and seems like a normal/safe URL but when u click the links, it can send u a totally different site where u can pick virus, cookie grabers, etc.

Is never safe to enable HTML in forums.

Protoss Arbiter Senior Member

Originally posted by Devile
    As Hyp said, HTML is a huge risk. Eventho we are using the latest version of this forum, there are always new ways of exploiting XSS (Cross Side Scripting) which leads to ppl getting hacked.

XSS is pretty common and seems like a normal/safe URL but when u click the links, it can send u a totally different site where u can pick virus, cookie grabers, etc.

Is never safe to enable HTML in forums.
    It's never safe due to the fact you can embed other sites onto the forum, causing:

1. HUGE Forum load time.
    2. Possibilitiy of embedding Javascript that can either
    a) steal cookies
    B) modify cookies
    c) implant unwanted code into your computer

The fact is, once you implant HTML onto a site you don't even have to click on a link - just by visiting a forum it could pose the probability of making your computer a target for a hacking attempt.

Nosferatu_Incognito

But, if there was better control over who could post in a forum (like mods Ok'ing pending applicants for a forum I.E. a non-public forum), using html in a forum wouldn't hurt the scripting for the forum itself?