View Poll Results: What can G4L staff do to improve activity?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Create a new website

4 66.67%
  • Maintain a social media presence

1 16.67%
  • Transform G4L into game reviewers

0 0%
  • Create a better Knight Online platform

2 33.33%
  • Hold regular contests

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Darken

[Poll] Improving Activity

This is a discussion on [Poll] Improving Activity within the Feedback forums, part of the General category; Bored again. There are quite a few people saying, "this forum is dead"; usually from people who have already quit ...
Page: 1

Banned Senior Member

Default [Poll] Improving Activity

Bored again.

There are quite a few people saying, "this forum is dead"; usually from people who have already quit KO.

I don't really expect any of these ideas to be implemented, as I understand it there is only 1 active admin - but someone is certainly paying for the domain, so it's obviously not dead yet.

I was gone in 2014, but from 2011-2013 there was a decent amount of activity -- I would say ever since, activity has decreased to about half. Needless to say, if something isn't done this year, this forum is just going to die out like a mediocre KO private server.

The one thing that makes this forum so important and attractive is that it appears to be the last 'free' forum for English-speaking players of Knight Online. I say 'free' because the official forums are extremely censored; even now more than ever (making it utterly useless). We already know that official mods and GM's have stepped foot in this forum. Why not give them a reason to check back more than once a year?

It's unfortunate that some admins/mods have abandoned the forum, but we can only look ahead.

Option 1: Create a new website. G4L could create a brand new website. Perhaps a blogging website (since blogging has officially made forums out-dated) with an integrated social media network. I would expect some expert coding, similar to what KoK offered (god I miss that site), but with a Wiki-database of everything Knight Online.

Option 2: Maintain a social media presence. G4L could embrace Twitter for live feeds, Facebook for those who use it (I don't), Pinterest for screenshots, and Youtube for videos. This has been a proven method to increase activity, all it would take is active leadership.

Option 3: Transform G4L into game reviewers. OK, this may seem a bit ridiculous, but if you think about it G4L sounds pretty legit in its own right. It would certainly increase activity, but would be very demanding for the staff; KO would no longer be the ultimate focus.

Option 4: Create a better Knight Online platform. Similar to creating a new website, but maintaining the forum presence whilst adding better content. I guess this would take some strategic thinking and some in-depth collaboration, so feel free to post your ideas.

Option 5: Hold regular contests. I'm pretty sure this was suggested many times before, perhaps even held, but it's still a great idea. Regular contests could be held for people who post the best art, videos, or who do good deeds ingame. Remember that "Find the GM" game? That could be done as well. Don't need a damn GM for it.

You may vote for more than 1 option.
    Post if you have a better idea.
    Last edited by MINO; 03-16-2015 at 02:16 PM.

Ancient Tribesman Moderator Darken's Avatar
    In deep d4rk forest, with thick mists is something valuable hidden.The Village of Golden Tribesman

You are omitting number one problem:

- Have active and caring stuff. Admins and mods..

without them, its not gonna work

so.. you can put that option to poll as well.

Banned Senior Member

Well we could start a riot or try to influence whoever's left into action.

aaaaand it won't let me edit the poll xD

In deep d4rk forest, with thick mists is something valuable hidden.The Village of Golden Tribesman

There has been efforts, but nothing has been done as you can see at the bottom of this feedback page, or straight here:

we need a new admin

New Moderators.

Banned Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darken View Post
    There has been efforts, but nothing has been done as you can see at the bottom of this feedback page, or straight here:

we need a new admin

New Moderators.
    Well I'm not trying to invite another flame topic (even though it appears to be my fate), but I don't care about adding new mods/admins. It won't solve anything. That's all I see in the links you've provided. I'll quote Cam:

Quote Originally Posted by camaz0tz View Post
    It's very easy to say a new admin or new mod will change anything, when ultimately it's not going to change much at all. Fact of the matter is, just like in real life, moderation cannot work without the help of the regular members of it's society. You want a better forum? Use the report feature. Suggest improvements. Be active in the upbringing of your own community. Anyone can sit on the sidelines and say it could be better.

As always, I'm up for ideas, but 90% of my inbox is "why can't I post in market" or "please unban" or "please ban x person". The other 10% is referring to something I already know about but haven't had time to get to. Hell, look at this Feedback section, see any improvements for the forum besides "we need new mods?" No... just that and people needing help about their own personal accounts.
    I'm providing ideas for improvement. More mods/admins simply doesn't make sense. There's approximately 1 police officer per 1,000 people in the average city in the United States. Just because 800 people don't see that officer, doesn't mean he isn't around or doesn't see what's going on. There IS an active admin, he's on pretty frequently on a community full of 500 semi-active users (which is severely small). Not including 1 active moderator, who handles all the smaller drama.

Banned

Honestly, I didn't read the op but I am sure you have your points. The thing is, we do not have an active administration which ( unfortunately ) makes this topic pointless and you have wasted your time writing it :/. Yes we have Shane but he doesn't do any admin stuff. Then there's mee who randomly logs in from time to time but hasn't done anything in forever. Cama is god knows where.. he hasn't logged in for a while. And well then there's Devile who randomly pops up every few months to make promises and disappear right after.

Banned Senior Member

If Shane can't do anything as an admin (which I know is untrue, unless they simply colored his name red for fun) then the best thing for everyone to do is create a new website, separate from G4L. The new website would need a team of volunteers. New admins, new mods, new staff, new everything.

Yourself and Shane would also need support the new website (ie, letting people know who post here to post there). Without some official endorsement there's no point.

This would be a separatist movement lol, but what other choice is there? (other than simply waiting for this forum to die)

Part of me cares, part of me doesn't, but I actually had fond memories of this forum in the past so I know it can get there again.

A new forum would be a good idea, its true i am pretty much the only Admin. There are few things i can do that mods cant, i cant IP ban, the only thing i think i can do is edit peoples passwords and such.

Banned Senior Member

See? People are listening lol

For creating new forum, you would need plenty of active, and caring staff, which I dont see here, not even among members. Best way to get active and caring staff, imho is them getting paid, so they get motivated enough.

Also making new forum, could easily end up with dividing existing members into two parts, and helping forum die even faster.

If going elsewhere is the only choice, and we dont have enough competent people to create, and maintain new forum, (or save this one) then merge with successful existing one would be option too. Same thing basically nttgame does with their inactive servers.
    MINO likes this.

Banned Senior Member

True, it would need a helpful, active and caring staff. I actually believe there are a handful of members who do care, and who will help. That is why it will take the work of the current active administration to make the change by disabling activity on this forum and encouraging activity on the other.

Shane doesn't appear to have any real admin access on this particular site, and he's the only admin. That's pretty much as black and white as it gets. There's nothing he can do here to help us out. So a new site is a must.

Merging forums wouldn't be necessary. That's just exchanging ownership and it can be more problematic. I have a feeling we will get something rolling soon, the idea is out in the open so let's just wait a bit and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by MINO View Post
    the idea is out in the open so let's just wait a bit and see what happens.
    Nothing will happen lol. The idea has been there for quite a while already, and nothing has happened.

Little archer Senior Member

Can't do anything as long as the risk of scamming exists. That's the one thing stopping potential new members from coming, because they get auto filtered (and with good reason) by the rules that protect us and at the same time kill this forum.

It's true that there are a lot of returning scammers everytime under new names, that's why the whole trading aspect should be abolished or revamped altogether.

Banned Senior Member

I agree 100% that some of the rules protecting this forum is also killing it.

It's unfortunate that this game carries a bulk of people who scam and cheat, but that seems to be the culture.

The risk of scamming will always be there. Admins and Mods can't prevent that from happening, but they can advise members about 'healthy' trading practices; that way, if a user does get scammed - they likely did not follow proper trading procedures.

Abolishing trading would probably kill the forum a lot faster than revamping it. I think we can develop a better system.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    It's true that there are a lot of returning scammers everytime under new names, that's why the whole trading aspect should be abolished or revamped altogether.
    Do you have any ideas how we could make the trading process any safer?