Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New PS3 80GB model including MotorStorm announced for $599 in August.

This is a discussion on New PS3 80GB model including MotorStorm announced for $599 in August. within the Consoles forums, part of the Games category; Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) announced a new 80GB model of its PlayStation 3. Beginning in August, the new PS3 ...
Page: 1

flyingcow

Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) announced a new 80GB model of its PlayStation 3. Beginning in August, the new PS3 model will be available in North America for a suggested retail price of US$599/$659 CND and will be sold with the popular online-enabled racing game MotorStorm. In conjunction with this news, the company also announced that effective immediately, the current 60GB PS3 model will be available in North America for US$499/$549 CND, or $100 below the original launch price for that 60GB model and the same price as the now defunct 20GB model.

By featuring an expanded hard disk drive (HDD), the new 80GB PS3 is designed to appeal to the online gaming and entertainment enthusiast, providing ample storage space to download more games and other entertainment content from the PlayStation Network. There are currently more than 60 playable games and game-related downloads available through PlayStation Store, with expanded entertainment content coming soon. The new model features the million-selling game MotorStorm in the box, allowing up to 12 players to play online at one time, hitting the dirt in this visually-arresting, fast-paced racing title.

Update: The new 80GB PS3 model has everything that the 60GB model has EXCEPT backwards compatibility hardware. Instead the new model will use software emulation to play older Playstation & Playstation 2 titles, just like the Xbox 360. This means you can count on tons of games not working, with Sony adding more to the list. So this is definitely something to think about if you’re considering buying the 80GB SKU.

thanks for old news.

can't u just replace the hdd urself?

wack a 500 gb in there >.<

Banned Senior Member

The Harddrive is a 2.5" SATA drive, and I dont think those laptop harddrives come in 500gb

minhking

Anyone try PS3 as Blue-Ray player ? I am thinking to buy one just because i want that Ble-Ray player capability. What do you think ?

Banned Senior Member

It doesnt have ALL the functions a standalone BluRay player would have, but for the price difference between the two ( ps3, and a player ) it&#39;s well worth it. Just buy a BluRay Remote for the ps3 and you should be set

minhking

Do you think Blue-Ray will win or will coexist with DVD-HD ?

Banned Senior Member

Since it&#39;s release with the ps3 ( HD-DVD was out before BluRay ) BluRay has outsold HD-DVD, and alot of major theatre companies are supporting BluRay, and even BlockBuster chose to stock most of their stores with BluRay instead of HD-DVD.

Also, with the ps3, BluRay is a must while for the 360 still uses dual layer DVD. You have to pay for the HD-DVD addon, and they dont put any games on that format for their system

I think BluRay will win just cause its name is far sexier than HD-DVD which is too damn long

BluRay SHORT
    DVD SHORT
    HD-DVD Too long!

TunaFishyMe

I think BluRay will win just cause its name is far sexier than HD-DVD which is too damn long

BluRay SHORT
    DVD SHORT
    HD-DVD Too long![/b]
    rofl great reasoning buddy :P

but bluray is a sexy name. I like how they made it even shorter by cutting the &#39;e&#39; out of blue :P
    Paramount chose HD DVD. Paramount is MASSIVE. They do films like transformers, steven spilsberg and a wohle lot of shit. Anyone who wants a player for just movies will have to consider a lot since paramount made this move.

Is Nintendo supports HD DVD in Wii2, Bluray = dead and so is PS3. Ps3 relies solely on the success of Bluray.
    Nintendo will probably have go HD DVD instead of Bluray so they dont have to pay Sony for it. Their target is casual gamers and they are doing well enough for the pieces of shit games they make. They don&#39;t need games like MSGS 4 to do well cuz their approach is different.

Microsoft can always implement HD DVD, which they probably will in 2 years or so and pull out another 360 machine rofl.
    Its hard to say. There is no definite win right now. HD DVD is cheaper and most people want that. BetaMax was more capable than VCR but since VCR was cheaper, it won.

Banned Senior Member

Also the Ps2 was the first console to have a DVD player in it, and everyone said it wasn&#39;t needed and the system would fail. Now it&#39;s the most sold gaming system ever and because of it, DVDs became popular.

I doubt Nintendo would use HD-DVD, and even if they do, thats not for years down the road.

TunaFishyMe

of course...but DVD was an obvious successor of CDs. There was no other competitor at least I dont remember there being one. There is actually a format war between HD DVD and BluRay. I support PS3, but I dont think its an easy win.

sacred

o_O

minhking

Japanese&#39;s technologies are way better so forget HD-DVD. Look at the stupid GM cars. Go for japanese stuffs like Sony, Lexus or Acura, way way better

Cocaine

Sony makes cars?!?!?!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast