Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Like Tree15Likes

KoServer Project v1.860

This is a discussion on KoServer Project v1.860 within the Private Servers forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; btw if you look closer you'll notice mele dcing. gm dc ppl for fun. a/w peace...
Page: 8

btw if you look closer you'll notice mele dcing. gm dc ppl for fun.

a/w peace

www.professionalko.com Senior Member nickos3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by twostars View Post
    Fucking retarded useless fucks.

Long story short(-ish):
    > Our main repo went private about 6 months ago now.
    > Turks decide, since there's nobody else to cry to, to open their own repo, removing all traces of us from it, despite obviously being a continuation of our project.
    > They change that shortly after they realise we notice.
    > <... 6 months worth of destroying the codebase in every imaginable way...>
    > Turks make repo private, start selling binaries (hey, why not make a profit).
    > I volunteer to help with something because I'm a masochist, and they give me access (all I really ended up doing was cleanup, really. Reverting a lot of the horrible things they'd done. *shudders*)
    > AKUMA persistently tries to contact me asking to help with a crash. Well gee, that's surprising, given that they've no idea where to begin with simple multithreaded programming, protecting their data from race conditions was the last thing on their mind. Oh, and they removed a lot of the existing code for exactly that purpose. Oh, and have no concept that once data's freed, it's gone & unable to be used again.
    > This particular "crash" is an unhandled exception. There's very few things that can throw exceptions; nothing from our code, specifically, but I suggest identifying the thread responsible / tracking down the exception with a simple try..catch clause wrapped around the start of each thread. By the way, did I mention it originally handled exceptions in this manner, just in case something like this were to happen? Yeah, they removed that a while ago.
    > 20+ comments later of retarded turks thinking that I'm making it up, it's impossible, and oh dear god you really don't even want to know *what* the fuck they were doing, one turk managed to do what I said. Sort of. Not really. Loads of try..catch blocks around virtually everything, since well, he's obviously used .NET before where virtually anything can throw. This is native C++, it's not remotely the same. The start of the threads would have been fine, and taken... seconds.
    > This genius tracks it down to a class responsible for wrapping C++11 functionality (well, doh. There's only a couple, and really only the C++11 functionality throws. I digress.). He sticks in a bunch of checks clearly completely misunderstanding wtf the class is used for, and evidently gets confused by the result of his tests.
    > AKUMA comes along, and concludes that removing it resolves the crash. Oh, but then there's the other bugs with the AI server crashing and the game server just bugging out, but that's probably unrelated. So the crucial timing code is disabled, because who knows what it's for anyway, right? Seems to work okay. Aside from those problems that are probably unrelated.

But um, twostars, we still need help figuring out the other bugs!

> I tell him not once, not twice, but three times: the code's clearly crashing not because the code that's been disabled is wrong, but because the use of that class is wrong. It doesn't work because of fucking locking semantics; it's not allowed to work like that. English is hard for these particular turks, so linking them to the official reference for the semantics is a considerably futile act, albeit one that's been tried several times (obviously, to no avail).
    > I'm told, quite simply, I just don't understand ("you don't understand me, rwlock working true but is open std::terminate..."). It no longer crashes there, with that timing code disabled (which is there to prevent concurrent threads from accessing a piece of data while another thread is changing it, no less. The code in question tells it to wait until everything has finished reading from it, before it can be written to.).

This, my friends, is the people who're "developing" the code for this server. I'm rambling like hell, but meh -- I didn't think it was possible, but the fork's considerably worse off from where it was 6 months ago when we made it private.

Even I don't know where to begin with bringing it back to a stable state, especially when AKUMA just decides to "fix" things because they look broken.
    Case in point, resetting a party:
    Code:
       if (!isInParty())
          return;

+  m_bInParty = false;
     +  m_sPartyIndex = -1; /* reset the party ID */
     +
        _PARTY_GROUP *pParty = g_pMain->GetPartyPtr(GetPartyID()); /* use the goddamn party ID to clean things up properly */
        if (pParty == nullptr) /* oh wait, we can't anymore, because someone broke it because they yet again "fixed" something that wasn't even broken to begin with. */
          return;

/* handle disbanding the party here */
    The result, of this excellent line of thought, is that parties bug like fuck: the party ID's reset in that one user IMMEDIATELY before it goes to use that same party ID to look up the associated party to actually go through and clean up the members of the party individually. So that one user may be thought to be "reset", but they don't even get the packet, so it's broken even in the client. It's a huge mess.

And despite my informing him of their... shall we say, unintended consequences, he continues to defend these changes. Q_Q

This project will fail spectacularly if it hasn't already.

It's not remotely stable, functional code. I don't even mean this remotely like mgame: mgame was rock-solid stable compared to what this is turning into. And it gets considerably worse with every passing day, scarily...

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. Carry on pointless thread.
    In a conclusion, 1) they were removing [whatever wasn't working / was crashing] & 2) they were asking you to help them ... but at the end they were just ignoring of whatever you said, lol.

Banned Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by nickos3 View Post
    In a conclusion, 1) they were removing [whatever wasn't working / was crashing] & 2) they were asking you to help them ... but at the end they were just ignoring of whatever you said, lol.
    What I got from it was,

Turk developers are complete and utter dumbasses and so is the owner of this server.
    Hercai likes this.

bumpppppppppppppppppp

Banned Senior Member

Can this server just be removed due to the server owners incompetence.

Go on please keep bumping your topic.

your server will die after beta ends anyway.

Seems cool, nice screenshots! I got some questions about it tho I see no link to a panel? Is there a date for the opening of the official yet? Where can I find a droplist? Btw you might want to add some more info to your topic title

hahahah lo lo low

good server

I am Timmeh Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by r1errico View Post
    good server
    no, it's not now stop spamming

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678