Steam and Private Servers

This is a discussion on Steam and Private Servers within the General Chat forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Is anyone else surprised that they still allow private servers since the Steam release? I figured with it going up ...
Page: 1

Banned Senior Member

Default Steam and Private Servers

Is anyone else surprised that they still allow private servers since the Steam release? I figured with it going up on Steam they would make private servers illegal.

Polak Extraordinaire Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eye4Eye View Post
    Is anyone else surprised that they still allow private servers since the Steam release? I figured with it going up on Steam they would make private servers illegal.
    private servers are illegal, they have been for a long time, its just going after them is really difficult as there will be 30 more to go up in place of them

Quote Originally Posted by SkyHunter View Post
    private servers are illegal, they have been for a long time, its just going after them is really difficult as there will be 30 more to go up in place of them
    It's not just difficult, it's expensive.

Banned Senior Member

With as many people that play private servers I feel the expense would be more than covered if you could put a stop to it and people had to play USKO or SteamKO. The amount of money they lose from private servers is insane.

With as many people that play private servers I feel the expense would be more than covered if you could put a stop to it and people had to play USKO or SteamKO. The amount of money they lose from private servers is insane.
    you realize how long it'd take for the private server to actually go down right?

it took blizzard a long time to take down many big wow servers, and even those, they came back up pretty quickly with the same developers in other countries with different names

and how would you put a "stop" to private servers? lol

if there was a way I think Blizzard would've already done it given how many WoW ones there have been for ages

Banned Senior Member

you realize how long it'd take for the private server to actually go down right?

it took blizzard a long time to take down many big wow servers, and even those, they came back up pretty quickly with the same developers in other countries with different names

and how would you put a "stop" to private servers? lol

if there was a way I think Blizzard would've already done it given how many WoW ones there have been for ages
    It's probably WAY the hell above my PC knowledge, but how the hell do they even get the files to start their own private servers on big games like that?

It's probably WAY the hell above my PC knowledge, but how the hell do they even get the files to start their own private servers on big games like that?
    there's a lot of ways, but all they usually have to do is just reverse-engineer whatever the server handles (since you have most of the client stuff)

would have to ask aesteris / twostars though as to how they do it since they're some of the few people on this forum that actually do their own work

there's a lot of ways, but all they usually have to do is just reverse-engineer whatever the server handles (since you have most of the client stuff)

would have to ask aesteris / twostars though as to how they do it since they're some of the few people on this forum that actually do their own work
    The beginning of private servers came from leaked files, which were of course buggy and incomplete. I believe that twostars and Aesteris can basically pull files straight from the newest USKO version somehow, but I doubt they'd be willing to share how they manage to do that. Of course, ApexKO is quite an exception since their files are actually better than the official ones lol.

GloStix (Prestige ******) Senior Member NuclearWinter's Avatar

Looked like he was asking about bigger games guys, like wow, etc, not about how people get ko files.