New Computer Build

This is a discussion on New Computer Build within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Well I spent sometime but I did end up coming up with this list, I am looking to purchase this ...
Page: 1

Banned

Well I spent sometime but I did end up coming up with this list, I am looking to purchase this new computer very soon. This will be my second build please do let me know if there are any suggestions you would like to make, or if I made any mistakes. This is all in my budget which is around 850usd, also feel free to recommend different processors etc.

Thank you.

Banned

Alright thank you very much metal for the advice i definitely think that would be a better build for my money.

evilwevel

After the rebates this will be about $870[/b]
    i honestly read this as "jailbaits". should stop looking at the motivational poster thread =/

Banned

Seems to me like Intel has the upper hand at processor market at the moment.
    I would go for either C2D E8500/E8600 or if you really want quadcore, Q9550 and higher. Q9550 should be priced around same as E8600.
    I do not know the prices outside of Estonia, so I can't put the prices on them. Sorry :[
    For motherboard, ASUS P5Q P45 or GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L. I myself got a GIGABYTE mobo, with P35 chip though, and I quite like it.
    For RAM, I would go for 800 MHz DDR2, it overclocks better and the difference between 1066 and 800 is barely noticeable. Get atleast 4 GB. If you plan on using 32 bit OS, it will only use ~3.2 GB, but RAM is so dirtcheap it won't matter.
    Videocard should definitely be Radeon HD4xxx series. HD4870 or HD4870X2 if you can afford, if you are tight on budget, HD 4850. I have HD4850 and it is very good considering how cheap it is. I'm yet to find a game I can't play at 1280x1024 at high/very high settings with some AA on. Also, if you have poor airflow in your case, look for cards with custom cooling, like HIS ICEQ4 Radeon HD4850. Alternatively you can install a custom cooler yourself. It will be just fine with stock cooler though.
    About hard drives, just a raptor 74 GB wont cut it because of its capacity. 74 GB is very little (GTA IV takes up 12 GB on my HDD). So i would get a raptor for windows and system files and a 500 GB HDD for games, music etc.
    PSU I would get Corsair HX620W, unless you get a HD4870X2 video or plan to overclock. In that case go for HX1000. Some quality stuff.
    Antec usually makes pretty good cases so you really can't go wrong with that and bigger = better so your stuff inside wouldn't be too compressed and making the airflow nonexistant. Codegen cases you should avoid, they have mostly quite poor quality.

So:
    CPU: Intel C2D E8500/8600 (dualcore) or Q9550 or higher (if you want quadcore)
    MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L or ASUS P5Q P45.
    RAM: Any 2 GB DDR2 800 MHz or 1066 Mhz (mobo supprts both) sticks from Corsair, A-Data or OCZ. Make sure to get identical sticks if you get two, so you can put them in dual channel)
    GPU: HD4800 series, awsome bang for buck. HD4850, HD4870, HD4870X2. (Also, googling for the reviews wouldn't harm.)
    PSU: Corsair HX620/HX1000
    Case: Antec is good, Thermaltake is good. Most of the big guns in computer case market are very competent, so it usually comes down to personal preference.
    HDD: Raptor 10k rpm for system files, I used a 7200 rpm 500 GB HDD from Western Digital. Had no complaints.
    OS: I personally don't like Vista very much, but I suppose you can't get Xp from many places anymore. Anywho, Vista Home will be more than sufficient for home use. 32bit is more compatible with most games so I would go for that.

Hope I helped.

Banned

Seems to me like Intel has the upper hand at processor market at the moment.
    I would go for either C2D E8500/E8600 or if you really want quadcore, Q9550 and higher. Q9550 should be priced around same as E8600.
    I do not know the prices outside of Estonia, so I can't put the prices on them. Sorry :[
    For motherboard, ASUS P5Q P45 or GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L. I myself got a GIGABYTE mobo, with P35 chip though, and I quite like it.
    For RAM, I would go for 800 MHz DDR2, it overclocks better and the difference between 1066 and 800 is barely noticeable. Get atleast 4 GB. If you plan on using 32 bit OS, it will only use ~3.2 GB, but RAM is so dirtcheap it won't matter.
    Videocard should definitely be Radeon HD4xxx series. HD4870 or HD4870X2 if you can afford, if you are tight on budget, HD 4850. I have HD4850 and it is very good considering how cheap it is. I'm yet to find a game I can't play at 1280x1024 at high/very high settings with some AA on. Also, if you have poor airflow in your case, look for cards with custom cooling, like HIS ICEQ4 Radeon HD4850. Alternatively you can install a custom cooler yourself. It will be just fine with stock cooler though.
    About hard drives, just a raptor 74 GB wont cut it because of its capacity. 74 GB is very little (GTA IV takes up 12 GB on my HDD). So i would get a raptor for windows and system files and a 500 GB HDD for games, music etc.
    PSU I would get Corsair HX620W, unless you get a HD4870X2 video or plan to overclock. In that case go for HX1000. Some quality stuff.
    Antec usually makes pretty good cases so you really can't go wrong with that and bigger = better so your stuff inside wouldn't be too compressed and making the airflow nonexistant. Codegen cases you should avoid, they have mostly quite poor quality.

So:
    CPU: Intel C2D E8500/8600 (dualcore) or Q9550 or higher (if you want quadcore)
    MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L or ASUS P5Q P45.
    RAM: Any 2 GB DDR2 800 MHz or 1066 Mhz (mobo supprts both) sticks from Corsair, A-Data or OCZ. Make sure to get identical sticks if you get two, so you can put them in dual channel)
    GPU: HD4800 series, awsome bang for buck. HD4850, HD4870, HD4870X2. (Also, googling for the reviews wouldn't harm.)
    PSU: Corsair HX620/HX1000
    Case: Antec is good, Thermaltake is good. Most of the big guns in computer case market are very competent, so it usually comes down to personal preference.
    HDD: Raptor 10k rpm for system files, I used a 7200 rpm 500 GB HDD from Western Digital. Had no complaints.
    OS: I personally don't like Vista very much, but I suppose you can't get Xp from many places anymore. Anywho, Vista Home will be more than sufficient for home use. 32bit is more compatible with most games so I would go for that.

Hope I helped.[/b]
    Thank you for the reply, definitely will look in to things further as of right now im going to go with Metalkons build. I still think im going to go with the raptor, just due to the fact that I have a 250gb hard drive right now I can use if i need it but right now I hardly use 15-20gbs.

You can put two 640gb WD Caviers in RAID and they will be fast as the newest raptors in some areas, the 640gig HD from WD is a very good harddrive and its very popular.