Video card upgrade help.

This is a discussion on Video card upgrade help. within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; i got a pretty old and low-profile video card right now. i had it for quite some time and im ...
Page: 1

Little archer Senior Member

Default Video card upgrade help.

i got a pretty old and low-profile video card right now. i had it for quite some time and im looking for an improvement (well deserved already)

its an XFX nvidia 8400gs 512mb.

so, to the tech pros out there, if any, which card is a good improvement? im on a tight budget so no GTX5xx or such.

it has to be nvidia because im not familiar with ati.

anything past geforce series9 is just a mess and i dont understand a thing. browsing around i found that a gt520 is worse than a gt430 even though the number is higher and everything... so yeah im pretty clueless here.

i dont run hardcore stuff on this comp (ko, LoL and in the future guild wars 2). ideally i would want an upper tier geforce 9 series (9600 or 9800) but if i cant get one of those then i want to know which video card is good past the 9 series!

tl;dr im looking for a nice upgrade from my old nvidia 8400gs. not looking for the best of the best, just something that is substantially better (like 2x better), cheap and not so flashy.

Cano Senior Member Canofwhopass's Avatar

whats your budget your trying to stay with?

prices in here differ from those at US so it doesnt really matter

NVIDIA - GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card - GTX560ti this is what i have id go from here if you have to lower price its there. this one is the best iv ever had i also bought a 450w power supply with it.

Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    i got a pretty old and low-profile video card right now. i had it for quite some time and im looking for an improvement (well deserved already)

its an XFX nvidia 8400gs 512mb.

so, to the tech pros out there, if any, which card is a good improvement? im on a tight budget so no GTX5xx or such.

it has to be nvidia because im not familiar with ati.

anything past geforce series9 is just a mess and i dont understand a thing. browsing around i found that a gt520 is worse than a gt430 even though the number is higher and everything... so yeah im pretty clueless here.

i dont run hardcore stuff on this comp (ko, LoL and in the future guild wars 2). ideally i would want an upper tier geforce 9 series (9600 or 9800) but if i cant get one of those then i want to know which video card is good past the 9 series!

tl;dr im looking for a nice upgrade from my old nvidia 8400gs. not looking for the best of the best, just something that is substantially better (like 2x better), cheap and not so flashy.
    sigh, well anyone else?

i just want a huge improvement COMPARED TO THE PIECE OF JUNK THAT IM CURRENTLY USING

im quite lost about the series that follow after geforce9 but i at least know that gtx + 5xx are the best ones out there, i said i do not want the best because i cannot afford them

dont wanna sound like a douche, after all im the one asking for advice. but i even pointed it out in my first post...

yea i failed to read it all lol but there is cheaper gtx5xx. you need something with 1 gb mem it will help, price wise best buy or new egg will give you the lowest.

anything worse from that point? i would like to see a scale from best to worse in the new series.

i repeat i dont want the best of the best or anything close to it, just something that is notably better compared to my old xfx 8400gs.

something that can run gw2 and at least get 50 FPS in league of legends! there u have it.

with this current card i get 30 fps both in KO and league on average. decreasing if more effects are on the screen (10-15 in moradon, 15-25 in league teamfights) up to 40-50 FPS when the match starts, or when im in lone places in KO with no one around.

For ATI/AMD,I would suggest HD 5670,HD 5750,HD 5770.They pretty cheap and way better than 8/9 series of NVIDIA,plus,they support DX11.For Nvidia,I would suggest GTS 450.It's pretty cheap but it beats all ATI cards I already mentioned.It only requires 1x 6-pin power connector so you don't need those monsters of power supplies to power it.450-500W BRANDED PS is recommended.

I can sell you my 8800GT SSC for like 50 $

Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    sigh, well anyone else?
    560ti its the best card in performace/cost right now. its pretty cheap from $120-$200 (depending on manyfacturer and mem). Any other card you spend your money in, its a total waste of money, dont go on spending 80$ on a card you will regret buying 6 months for now.

Also the new GTX 6XX series are comming out, so u might wanna wait for it also, not even exactly for them, but for the older cards to drop in price.

Ohh, and btw dont look at GTX 5XX like they are expensive than GTX 4XX, tahts a missconception. a GTX 480 its double the price of the GTX 560ti

Quote Originally Posted by orko View Post
    560ti its the best card in performace/cost right now. its pretty cheap from $120-$200 (depending on manyfacturer and mem). Any other card you spend your money in, its a total waste of money, dont go on spending 80$ on a card you will regret buying 6 months for now.

Also the new GTX 6XX series are comming out, so u might wanna wait for it also, not even exactly for them, but for the older cards to drop in price.

Ohh, and btw dont look at GTX 5XX like they are expensive than GTX 4XX, tahts a missconception. a GTX 480 its double the price of the GTX 560ti
    thats what confuses me.

im still as confused as i was at the beginning... anyway, ill just wait because i can no longer afford them as of right now

something came up

Banned

I always thought the zotac geforce 9600GT was beast for its comparable low prices. Iam more of a coder than a gamer, I use my ps3/xbox for games. But when a few of my buddies were over here I could play literally every new game. Ofcourse not all of them on max graphics but still on very good.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRapist View Post
    I always thought the zotac geforce 9600GT was beast for its comparable low prices. Iam more of a coder than a gamer, I use my ps3/xbox for games. But when a few of my buddies were over here I could play literally every new game. Ofcourse not all of them on max graphics but still on very good.
    Yep,that's because you got used to console and those shitty graphics.

do not expect perfect grap. cards mate, you can prefer any of ati hd5xxx models or better.