ElectroMagnetics

This is a discussion on ElectroMagnetics within the Off Topic forums, part of the Entertainment category; Ok, so my prof decided to do this new marking scheme this year where we have a 20% project and ...
Page: 1

TunaFishyMe

Ok, so my prof decided to do this new marking scheme this year where we have a 20% project and a 50% final instead of a 70% final. Now this project is suppose to separate those who memorize formulas and plug and play and those who actually learn the material. The project mark is given based on how well you do in the class. For example, lets say everyone gets 0 and he bells it to 75, everyone will get 75. Lets say everyone gets 0 and i get 50, if he bells it to 75, i can get over 100.

Needless to say, this is a pretty difficult project. The first question isnt that bad. The second one is mediocre. The final question where you have to design a device that can turn a linearly polarized wave into circular polarized. mmm...Is that possible?

This is for people who have taken Electromagnetics before. I need your help in this. I know the majority of people here wont have a clue, but i think there are a couple ECE grads. Hopefully, you can help me out.
    If you dont understand whats going on, please dont find it necessary to post.
    Thanks

Part I

Derive the plane wave formulation for E and H field starting from Maxwell's equations in
    homogeneous, isotropic, unbounded, lossless medium. State all your steps and
    assumptions. Your answer should contain the following information.
    (a) The physical origin of each of Maxwell’s equations. Provide a brief
    description of the physical phenomenon (or experiment) that is best
    summarized by each one of Maxwell’s equations whenever appropriate.
    (B) Mathematical relationships that leads to the wave equations.
    © Derivation leading up to the expression for instrinsic impedance and phase
    velocity in terms of permitivity and permeability.
    (d) Relationship between E and H field as well as the kvector.

Part II

It was a pleasant autumn day and Dr. Yam decided to take his laptop and work outside.
    The sun was bright, so he has his sunglasses on. The laptop was on (full battery) but the
    screen was really dim. From what you’ve learned in ELEC 381, what would you
    recommend him do, and why?

Part III

On a hot day on the highway, the distant road sometimes appears to be a shining
    reflective pool of water. Given the fact that the air density is a function of temperature,
    how would you explain this natural phenomenon given your knowledge of ELEC 381.

In class, we learned about total internal reflection (depicted in diagram above). We also
    learned about reflection coefficient. The question explores the relationship between the
    incident and the reflected field at interface when the incident angle is greater than the
    critical angle. Please begin with the reflection coefficients relationship and Snell’s Law to
    derive the reflection coefficients for both TE (perpendicular) and TM (parallel)
    polarizations.
    Given the previous results, please discuss the significance of the reflection coefficients in
    terms of both amplitude and phase?
    Now, if you have a glass block of the following shape, and the fabrication capability to
    apply antireflection
    coating on arbitrary surfaces, how would you put together a design
    that will convert linearly polarized light into circularly polarization light. Please explain
    to the best of your ability.

Thats it.

part II - Go inside

Just about to head to work so ill look at this later

TunaFishyMe

i think the answer to part to has something to do with sunglasses and how they polarize light. I dont really know how they work but ill have to look it up. I read somewhere that if you are wearing sunglasses, its hard to see LCD display since LCD is polarized light.

Inactive Member

i think the answer to part to has something to do with sunglasses and how they polarize light. I dont really know how they work but ill have to look it up. I read somewhere that if you are wearing sunglasses, its hard to see LCD display since LCD is polarized light.[/b]
    Yup, right answer would be to tilt the laptop (or his head) since both LCD and sunglasses have linear polarization with different orientations.