I-RAM any1?

This is a discussion on I-RAM any1? within the Off Topic forums, part of the Entertainment category; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PiYgBhAkAM load xp in about 10 secs. >_<...
Page: 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PiYgBhAkAM

load xp in about 10 secs.

>_<

0_o
    first

edit: ok im home now i can watch the vid

edit again: holy shit that is really fast... but he probably has nothing else loaded on his hd to slow it down...

Banned Senior Member

FIrst time I ever booted XP on my old computer it only took me about 20 seconds :x

Meh, after a little reading of the technology, it doesnt seems to be that great of an evolution. Firstly, its still bottlenecked by the SATA interface as ALWAYS. And secondly, it have a limitation of powerloss by 16 hours, so its kinda "PC-only".. Or u can see it as not practical for laptops. Thirdly, the techology have a capacity limitation of 4GB, which in nowadays is ridiculously low to the standard.
    In general, I dont really like this way of having the data, it can lose the data in many ways easily, and.. The technology itself is pretty old, I&#39;ve heard about it many years ago, and it never got into the real big market coz its far from idiot proof, or so to speak, only for the ppl who wants a great boot time and THATS IT. You really dont wanna store data on such "virtual harddrive", coz its simply not safe.
    However, the new technology as Solid-state drive is about to getting into the market, the only problem atm is the price and the capacity, but time will show. For those who havent heard about it: Its a real harddrive that stores data into flash memories, but yet again limited by the SATA interface with 150MB/s. However, it can be as a traditional harddrive moved around without any trouble. It have somewhere about the same advantages as the I-RAM such as silent, fast and high mechanical reliability since theres no disc to spin up. But as any other things in this world, there are disadvantages... The price, slower writing speed and higher vulnerability vs magnetic fields and electric/static charges, compared to the normal disc harddive.
    But then again, Im really looking forward to another technology under development by IBM called Racetrack memory, I cba to write a story about that technology, but u can read all about it on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racetrack_memory
    Im sure by the time Racetrack get into the market, there will be new interface to kill the bottleneck (hopefully)

o shit, i wrote it too long for k4l :s

an unrealistic piece of hardware.. but still.. awesome performance xD

Baxxor

he got nothing on the harddrive except the "usual" programs, he installs XP and has nothing but XP on it.
    not that hard then lol

Banned

Holy shit that&#39;s fast! h34r:

b1rdy

zzzzzzz I envy ppl with fast comps and no lag h34r:

▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 100%VOLUME Senior Member SamEs's Avatar

uhm is that a new technology?
    my comp is also that fast and ive neva heard about
    i-ram XD
    i use ddr2 2gig :/ nothin special for me

Speed

hmm it seems like ive been living under a rock or something, i have no idea what I-RAM is.. but it sure looks fast

evilwevel

looks awesome right now, but in 20 years people will be like "hah ! it took them 10 seconds to load that crappy xp, how could they even work on such slow computers ?"

anyway, i&#39;m fine right now, it takes about 2 minutes to completely load xp and all other programs, in the meantime i can make exactly one cup of coffee, so it&#39;s perfect for me

looks awesome right now, but in 20 years people will be like "hah ! it took them 10 seconds to load that crappy xp, how could they even work on such slow computers ?"

anyway, i&#39;m fine right now, it takes about 2 minutes to completely load xp and all other programs, in the meantime i can make exactly one cup of coffee, so it&#39;s perfect for me [/b]

so was everything once upon a time ago :P :P :P