Computer specs - advice on buying

This is a discussion on Computer specs - advice on buying within the Off Topic forums, part of the Entertainment category; Short background. I bought my desktop back in 2004, and basically now, it's a shit box compared to all these ...
Page: 1

Legendary Mage Senior Member tHeUnBeAtAbLe's Avatar

Default Computer specs - advice on buying

Short background. I bought my desktop back in 2004, and basically now, it's a shit box compared to all these brand new ones coming out... but that's technology I guess.

I know for a fact that I'm probably not the only one to be an owner of an old computer, so there might be other people on these forums wondering the same thing as I am. A game such as KO usually runs smoothly, and all those other simple games created back are fine to play. The problem is, that the current games being created require a much better system. Even WoW (released back in 2004) gives me really low fps if the server is populated. But more importantly, the ones released this year, for example like Aion, are much more graphical and bla bla, and basically when I'm in towns my FPS goes down to literally 1. So yeah I could simply improve my graphics card, but my other components are lacking process as well.

All I'm asking is what would be a BETTER THEN AVERAGE system specs for a computer, for gaming and other things taken into account. Reason for a better then average cause once again I plan to stick to a computer for quite a while and wouldn't want the best kind, but wouldn't want an average one either that I'd have to replace within 2-3 years. I would appreciate an online site of the specific one that you have bought or you think is worth buying... but if, just list the specs yourself, the main ones at least if you can't go into detail, like ram, cache, graphics, and so on...

Psy

Send Devile a PM and ask him (insert jpeg of a burrito for a speedy response)

What's your budget

Well not paying for university as I'm on scholarship, so the summer money I can waste as much as I want. Desktops aren't that much these days anyways, but seeing as I want to buy another one for another 5 years or so without malfunctions, I'd say 1k-2k range.

El Gran Tanke Senior Member gimmecookiesnao's Avatar

do u want new monitor? or will u settle for ur old one?

edit* with that kind of budget your can build it yourself and get a good 6 years from it

Quote Originally Posted by gimmecookiesnao View Post
    do u want new monitor? or will u settle for ur old one?

edit* with that kind of budget your can build it yourself and get a good 6 years from it
    Naw I got a 19 inch LCD, so it's all good. I know I can build it myself, but I'd rather have a warranty and just buy it all at once, since last time I tried to build a computer (very young age) it failed to work miserably after some time and was just a waste of money in general.

wait that's confusing so you want to build it or buy it pre-built? there is usually 2 year manufacture warranty on each part anyways..
    anyway for 1k-2k just go and i7 920 build..1366 motherboard, 6-8 gigs ddr3, sapphire 5870, corsair 750HX power supply, Mid-Full tower ATX Case(Antec/Cooler Master)..and newegg.com for your prices
    Last edited by assas62; 02-22-2010 at 01:41 AM.

Notorious P.A.T Senior Member AsSaiLaNT9082's Avatar

You should definitely talk to Metalkon about this, he's helped me a lot upgrading my computer in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by assas62 View Post
    wait that's confusing so you want to build it or buy it pre-built? there is usually 2 year manufacture warranty on each part anyways..
    anyway for 1k-2k just go and i7 920 build..1366 motherboard, 6-8 gigs ddr3, sapphire 5870, corsair 750HX power supply, Mid-Full tower ATX Case(Antec/Cooler Master)..and newegg.com for your prices
    Thank you. I searched up the i7 920 and lol, it's over 2k, but that's giving it 12gb ddr3 and all the other components being sick. But I'm gonna probably get something on the basis of this, just cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by AsSaiLaNT9082 View Post
    You should definitely talk to Metalkon about this, he's helped me a lot upgrading my computer in the past.
    He doesn't join the forums from what I know :P.

On topic: I just need more info on the graphic cards, which ones are pretty amazing. I'm looking at these GTX ones, but honestly, I have no idea which one's are worth the while.

2 words....ati 5970.

if you spend 1k$ on just about any desktop nowadays, its almost guaranteed to run any game at very high settings, (unless you buy a mac or a sony vaio, then your fucking retarded)

im looking through newegg right now and its kinda rediculous (i bought my first desktop in 2006 and like your pc its considered very low end now)

edit: also like someone else said with that budget you can build it yourself, its actually fairly simple kinda like putting legos together except expensive legos. i built my pc beginning of 2008 and every so often i upgrade it when new things come out, its a really good learning experience and you wont have to worry about buying a new pc for a very long time, not to mention you'll learn all the insides of your pc so you would have to make more topics like this
    Last edited by giga; 02-22-2010 at 02:30 PM.

evilwevel

it's quite simple if you want to keep things at a reasonable price you either go for a nice i5 or phenom II x4 (955 is probably the best option). throw them on some motherboard (this is personal. some people dislike Gigabyte, others hate asus, ...) and add any of the higher end ati video cards (58.. and up) and you'll be playing everything silky smooth.

a few important things you should keep in mind :

in games the i5 and phenom II cpus are evenly matched. the i5s do shred the phenoms when it comes to unzipping large files or other intensive calculating tasks (but together with their motherboard they do cost more for no actual gain in games).

nvidia can suck it ! their cards at this moment are in no way better or even as good as the new ati cards. the new ati cards have directx 11 support and just outperform nvidia cards for the same price (and lower power consumption).

Quote Originally Posted by giga View Post
    if you spend 1k$ on just about any desktop nowadays, its almost guaranteed to run any game at very high settings, (unless you buy a mac or a sony vaio, then your fucking retarded)

im looking through newegg right now and its kinda rediculous (i bought my first desktop in 2006 and like your pc its considered very low end now)

edit: also like someone else said with that budget you can build it yourself, its actually fairly simple kinda like putting legos together except expensive legos. i built my pc beginning of 2008 and every so often i upgrade it when new things come out, its a really good learning experience and you wont have to worry about buying a new pc for a very long time, not to mention you'll learn all the insides of your pc so you would have to make more topics like this
    Naw I know the insides, and I can build it... I have done it before, but I'm sticking to just a pre-build purchase this time,... got really fucked over last time I build one, as it was an Intel motherboard and those boards you can't purchase in any of the stores around here.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeUnBeAtAbLe View Post
    Thank you. I searched up the i7 920 and lol, it's over 2k, but that's giving it 12gb ddr3 and all the other components being sick. But I'm gonna probably get something on the basis of this, just cheaper.

He doesn't join the forums from what I know :P.

On topic: I just need more info on the graphic cards, which ones are pretty amazing. I'm looking at these GTX ones, but honestly, I have no idea which one's are worth the while.
    Well on the flipside and cheaper build which is basically my pc build you can go with AMD build..for performance charts on graphics cards or other hardware check out tomshardware website..sapphire 5870 i recommend they have best support out of the bunch and performs in between a gtx 285 and gtx 295..vapor-x version if you want to spend 30 more $ its sexy ;D and 12gb ram is just overkill..6gb would be perfect
    PhenomII 965BE (125w)
    AM3 motherboard(Gigabyte/MSI/Asus)
    5870( sapphire vapor-x or standard)
    Corsair 750HX
    2x2gb ddr3(check recommended manufactures on motherboard u get)
    Last edited by assas62; 02-22-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Da Mod Father Senior Member Felix's Avatar

I can help you with this mate. Just pm me a time you can talk on msn to me and I can go through everything you need