Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Astronomy question

This is a discussion on Astronomy question within the Off Topic forums, part of the Entertainment category; We always see the model of our solar system with the planets on the same y axis. While the planets ...
Page: 1

Psy

We always see the model of our solar system with the planets on the same y axis. While the planets are always on a different x and z axis, I've never seen or heard the reason for them being in that straight line (I.E. orbits are circles inside of circles). Is there a reason for this?

if you tie a ball to your finger with string, and spin it round, it will spin in a flat orbit due to the centrifugal force. This is the same as a solar system forming. The solar system was one big bundle of gas at one stage, and by spinning it forces mass out perpendicular to the axis. This is also why the Earth is more bulbous around the equator than the poles.

And also, the solar system is not flat, Pluto orbits in a weird trajectory that intersects the normal plane, im not sure why.

silence1337

if you tie a ball to your finger with string, and spin it round, it will spin in a flat orbit due to the centrifugal force. This is the same as a solar system forming. The solar system was one big bundle of gas at one stage, and by spinning it forces mass out perpendicular to the axis. This is also why the Earth is more bulbous around the equator than the poles.

And also, the solar system is not flat, Pluto orbits in a weird trajectory that intersects the normal plane, im not sure why.[/b]
    riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....... +1 xD

Sephyro

I hope you meant astronomy.

And also, the solar system is not flat, Pluto orbits in a weird trajectory that intersects the normal plane, im not sure why.[/b]
    Pluto is more like a kyuper belt object than a planet so im guessin thats why

ArtOfFighters

Pluto is more like a kyuper belt object than a planet so im guessin thats why[/b]
    no need to be fancy about it h34r:

its just a big rock :mellow:

QuIcK

The moon also has a lot to do with earth being fat baba...

Banned

It's because of the aliens and their spaceships.

Sorry, but saw a chance and I am taking it. The reason why it orbits in a weird trajectory is because of a Higher Power. There is a reason why the call The Big Bang THEORY, because it's a theory and cannot be proven. If the big bang was true then all the planets would be spinning in the same direction. The Big Bang Theory states that there was a ball of condensed matter and it blew up creating planets. When multiple things are thrown they all go in the same direction unless acted upon an outside force aka inertia (Newton's 1st law of Motion). I am guessing that you will say well maybe it hit another planet/meteor which is why i posted the 1st law of motion. If pluto was hit by something to cause it to spin in a different direction it would have to have a bigger mass/velocity. Pluto then would not be just some regular planet (not a planet anymore) it would be half of a planet. Nothing that big to cause a planet to rotate in an opposite direction wouldnt leave it unmarked.

The Big Bang Theory states that there was a ball of condensed matter and it blew up creating planets[/b]
    Thats like saying "Big Bang" happened and then humans existed!!

Xtr3m3

+1 on this one^^ Many things happened before planets ever existed (EX: Solar System, Galaxies, Quasars, Nebulae, Black Holes etc)

Back to topic, did you mean in the same plane?

This should be your answer then:

The fact the orbital planes of all planets and of most of their moons are so close to each other (though not exactly the same) suggests that they all were created from the same swirling cloud of dust, gas and flying rocks of assorted sizes. Different theories exist about how it happened, but I believe astronomers have observed such clouds, which one day may become planetary systems.

Get a Straight Answer!<-------Google is your friend

But that too many loop holes, when it comes to space there really no up,down,left, right, X, Y. because that the perception we got here on earth. Like if you are on the South Pole and you are pointing up you are in reality pointing down, but how we we really say we are pointing up or down? but that is just perception of the human mind on how you view things and to complex too understand and is more Physics it will boggle your brains out h34r: .

So to answer your questions: There really no solid answer to prove it, we just assume that the way it is due to our perception of reality. Time does not exist outside of earth either

big_foot

opfft astronomy is just a load of shit
    sometimes coincidence sometimes just genaral -_-

Psy

Thats like saying "Big Bang" happened and then humans existed!![/b]
    Zing!

Xtr3m3

opfft astronomy is just a load of shit
    sometimes coincidence sometimes just genaral -_-[/b]
    Prove it! I want you to prove your point please!

__________________________________________________ ____________

Astronomy is actually assumption on how things might be.

Wiki Definition:

Astronomy is the scientific study of celestial objects (such as stars, planets, comets, and galaxies) and phenomena that originate outside the Earth&#39;s atmosphere (such as the cosmic background radiation). It is concerned with the evolution, physics, chemistry, meteorology, and motion of celestial objects, as well as the formation and development of the universe.

# 2 History

* 2.1 Scientific revolution

# 3 Observational astronomy

* 3.1 Radio astronomy
    * 3.2 Infrared astronomy
    * 3.3 Optical astronomy
    * 3.4 Ultraviolet astronomy
    * 3.5 X-ray astronomy
    * 3.6 Gamma-ray astronomy
    * 3.7 Fields of observational astronomy not based on the electromagnetic spectrum
    * 3.8 Astrometry and celestial mechanics

# 4 Theoretical astronomy
    # 5 Subfield of astronomy for specific astronomical objects

* 5.1 Solar astronomy
    * 5.2 Planetary science
    * 5.3 Stellar astronomy
    * 5.4 Galactic astronomy
    * 5.5 Extragalactic astronomy
    * 5.6 Cosmology

# 6 Interdisciplinary studies
    # 7 Amateur astronomy
    # 8 Major questions in astronomy
    # 9 See also

* 9.1 Lists
    * 9.2 Related articles

# 10 References
    # 11 External links

This is just few of the things in covers, there many more sub background of it as well

Sorry, but saw a chance and I am taking it. The reason why it orbits in a weird trajectory is because of a Higher Power. There is a reason why the call The Big Bang THEORY, because it&#39;s a theory and cannot be proven. If the big bang was true then all the planets would be spinning in the same direction. The Big Bang Theory states that there was a ball of condensed matter and it blew up creating planets. When multiple things are thrown they all go in the same direction unless acted upon an outside force aka inertia (Newton&#39;s 1st law of Motion). I am guessing that you will say well maybe it hit another planet/meteor which is why i posted the 1st law of motion. If pluto was hit by something to cause it to spin in a different direction it would have to have a bigger mass/velocity. Pluto then would not be just some regular planet (not a planet anymore) it would be half of a planet. Nothing that big to cause a planet to rotate in an opposite direction wouldnt leave it unmarked.[/b]
    My knowledge of astronomy is not that advanced, but i can make some more reasonable guesses as to the nature of Pluto&#39;s orbit than just assuming it is due to a "higher power". If you would like, I can email the question to my old professor and tutor (Michael Merrifield) who made documentaries for the BBC about astronomy.

Pluto isn&#39;t like other planets, its just a big rock. Actually a lot of astronomers don&#39;t think it is a planet because it is so small. It might just be a large asteroid that was pulled out of its normal orbit somehow. It might be an asteroid hit by a comet and knocked off course. It is so small that any collision would have a massive effect upon its orbit. Interestingly, the reason Uranus spins on its side is due to collision with a planet-sized mass. So if something can knock Uranus on its side (which is far far bigger than Pluto), then it is easy to see how a small object could smack Pluto so hard. As far as not leaving marks, Pluto might have even split into pieces after said collision. There is little way of knowing because at that range there are quite a few planetoids that are similar to pluto but we do not classify as planets. Also detecting those objects is difficult because they do not emit light and reflect very little due to their distance. Most planets we detect are large and near to their stars so we can spot them by gauging the change in position of the star itself due to gravity.

Large collisions are not rare either, in the billions of years since the solar system existed there have been quite a few, and even the Earth has been hit by some big objects, and the likeliest theory for the extinction of the dinosaurs is a massive collision.

"The Big Bang Theory states that there was a ball of condensed matter and it blew up creating planets. "

I started writing a big explanation for where you have gone wrong, but i found a much better one on the internet:

1. The big bang was not an explosion. Space itself expanded (and is still expanding).
    2. The big bang is quite a different subject from the formation of solar systems. Rotations within the universe are not expected to be related to any rotation of the cosmos. Galaxies probably arose from slightly denser regions of the early universe, which coalesced and combined due to gravitational and viscous interactions. Since these early density fluctuations were apparently random, we expect galaxies to have random orientations. Solar systems within galaxies have still different origins and additional random influences on their orientations.
    3. Conservation of angular momentum doesn&#39;t require that everything spin the same way. It requires that a change in spin in one object be compensated for by an opposite change in spin in one or more other objects. Retrograde planets are not a violation of angular momentum because other bodies in the early solar system could account for the compensating spin.

I know that randomness and chaos theory is something that religious people have a problem with. They need a reason for everything and where science cannot provide a simple one they apply God. There are plenty of examples of apparent randomness in nature, like the relative amounts of matter and anti-matter, and the genetic mutations in DNA.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast