Some questions about ko4life

This is a discussion on Some questions about ko4life within the Feedback forums, part of the General category; Smash posted a thread in general section About "Donate to ko4life" but it got locked after some childish posts. Yet ...
Page: 1

Smash posted a thread in general section About "Donate to ko4life" but it got locked after some childish posts. Yet there were some valid questions I would like to answer here.

i still dont get why u guys are using IPB, or even yet going to buy a vBulletin
    why not just use the phpBB2.0.22 or phpBB3, functions wise they're at about the same level, not to mention its free[/b]
    As lutz answered already, phpBB is more like an amateur forum for little needs. Yes, I'm aware that there are huge forums with over 20 million posts running phpBB, but if u check them internally, they hardly have anything left that resembles phpBB. They have been so heavily moded, that they aren't phpBB anymore. Default phpBB can't handle much load and modding requires a lot of time. And since phpBB is not "mod friendly", whenever a new version comes out, u have to remod all your forum, which is a pain in the ass. IPB and vBulletin have mod engines that let u apply mods and forget about them. New releases of IPB and vBulletin can be upgraded smoothly without having to worry about mods or just do very little changes. Opposed to phpBB where u have to reapply all mods.

Also, phpBB by default has very basic features, meaning that u will have to apply tons of mods to have a decent forum that has everything u need. A site like ko4life will prolly need at least 20 different mods/hacks to support everything we have now. Imagine the nightmare it would be to upgrade phpBB every 3 months a new version comes out. Any professional forum that doesnt have a fulltime hacker coding stuff, should use a comercial forum like IPB or vBulletin. Not to mention the endless amount of security issues phpBB has compared to IPB or vBulletin.

2nd...why does IPB suck vs vBulletin......are both not very equal in features and cost per month[/b]
    I've been using vBulletin for while now aswell as IPB and I hate IPB now. To begin with, vBulletin Cpanel is better, well organized and really easy to use. U can find options very fast compared to IPB where u have to get into tabs, drill down menus and get lost pretty quick. Sure u can always learn IPB cpanel, yet that doesnt change the fact that u take more clicks to do something compared to vBulletin. Also vBulletin has a few more very useful features by default than IPB like the "report post to a forum". Here we had to add a workarround. Also, the search function in vBulletin works better. On the DB side, I see like 90% of the slow queries are related to IPB searches. And the list goes on and on. Everytime I have to modify something in the IPB Cpanel I end up in a really bad mood. Bottom line is that vBulletin looks more professional than IPB to me. Oh, and the template system on vBulletin is so sweet! Very easy to change and search. Same with languages. U can modify everything from the Cpanel really fast and easy.

and for the person/people who asked what happens when ko4life forums are down for maintenance, it's probably a database backup, and checking it hasn't got any corruptions. They probably also take it as a chance to do any updates to the forum codes, and the proxy lists.[/b]
    Not really. Backups are done automatically everyday arround 5am where there's little ppl arround. But yes, maints are basically to check the DB status, run some repairs or optimizations. Or just any change we need to make that could affect performance so we rather place the maint window for a while and do whatever we have to change without ppl stressing the server. Lets say we need to run a process that might use 50% of the CPU, that could prolly slow the DB so much it will give some nasty SQL errors to the users, so its better to just go on maint for 10 minutes, run the process and go back online. Recently we have some crashes so we are in the process of troubleshooting those errors and we prolly go on maint some days. Since this is a dedicated server, we do everything ourself. Maybe someone will say "pay support" and let someone else do it. Usually that ends up with a big bill and a recommendation to buy a new box that costs 4 times this one. Rather have full control to do things by ourselves. Besides, I dont like ppl messing with my stuff

I have an idea.
    If i donate to ko4life as a turk
    Can i reach the website with out proxys ?
    Can you make this ?[/b]
    I'm sorry, thats not possible. We might review our "Ban Turkey" decision in the future, but I can't promise we will remove those IP bans and there's no way we can add a feature to "open the door" just for turk donators. There were few Turkey users that caused a LOT of trouble and even downtimes here, so we were forced to take some drastic measures. We apologize for this but there was pretty much nothing else we could do. We appreciate your interest, but we can't do much right now. Maybe in some months we will rethink this whole thing.

Anyway, that was pretty much it. If u got more questions about ko4life, feel free to ask. I'll be moderating this myself and wont be allowing stupid posts and spam here.

devile why dont u set up forums so that if servers go down forums get disabled and only server status is working

and also could u please code a server status that is for donators that will auto refresh and even play a sound when the login server comes online

Why would we wanna do that? Forums are where ppl go when servers go down. Sure, that makes the server load skyrocket, but thats the one of the ends of a forum. Rather than close down the forum, we should invest in better hardware to handle those overloads.

About the server status, it autorefresh, but every 2 minutes. The sound thing, I dunno, we will try to figure out something

Why would we wanna do that? Forums are where ppl go when servers go down. Sure, that makes the server load skyrocket, but thats the one of the ends of a forum. Rather than close down the forum, we should invest in better hardware to handle those overloads.

About the server status, it autorefresh, but every 2 minutes. The sound thing, I dunno, we will try to figure out something [/b]
    Lutz coded a server status thing have a word with him

refer to : http://ko.goqnet.com

Btw wheres my beer bitch

Protoss Arbiter Senior Member

Lutz coded a server status thing have a word with him

refer to : http://ko.goqnet.com

Btw wheres my beer bitch[/b]
    Shh, I stole it off Devile; I just made some personal modifications.

Don't let anyone see it!

THIEF!!!!

well im jus saying i'd rather have server status then nothing seems everytime maintenance comes ko4life ends up deaded

if u wanna make it i can probly host it on my ded

the_man_slayer

Why doesnt the last posted thing not change quick enough when someone else has posted something new still saying it was an older post that was the last one, while looking at it in ko4life forum section :P

best ones to see this is the market sections

Why doesnt the last posted thing not change quick enough when someone else has posted something new still saying it was an older post that was the last one, while looking at it in ko4life forum section :P

best ones to see this is the market sections [/b]
    I have the same problem. its all about IE. I dont know why, but browse ko4life or ranking with FireFox and you will always see the latest post. Weird imo but think it got nothing to do with this forum ...

the_man_slayer

I have the same problem. its all about IE. I dont know why, but browse ko4life or ranking with FireFox and you will always see the latest post. Weird imo but think it got nothing to do with this forum ...[/b]
    ah kk

Protoss Arbiter Senior Member

I have the same problem. its all about IE. I dont know why, but browse ko4life or ranking with FireFox and you will always see the latest post. Weird imo but think it got nothing to do with this forum ...[/b]
    It might be due to IE's caching where if you refresh it, it'll bring up the most recently cached page instead of actually sending a new request to the server.
    It might be because of this, but I'm not entirely sure.

lutz can i use ur server status or is it working ? xD