Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Resto Drood Guide

This is a discussion on Resto Drood Guide within the World Of Warcraft forums, part of the PC Gaming category; Why the guide? Ok, well, I'm very bored so I thought I'd write a resto drood guide from my perspective. ...
Page: 1

(\/) (;,,;) (\/) Why not Zoidberg? Admin camaz0tz's Avatar

Default Resto Drood Guide

Why the guide?
    Ok, well, I'm very bored so I thought I'd write a resto drood guide from my perspective.

YOUR perspective?
    Now some might say, why your perspective? Why not just tell us what's best! Everyone acts like druids are overpowered, simple, and obvious, to the point that any idiot can play the class. That's actually untrue, a GOOD resto druid is actually a rare thing. On top of that, each resto druid has his/her own preference to everything, and as with any class there are different ways to play the class.

What IS my perspective:
    PERSONALLY I prefer the path of sustained raid healing. I don't play to make sure everyone remains topped off, though it is a nice goal just not the primary objective in my perspective. Rather I heal to make sure as many as I can get sustained constant healing until a class more suited to top off, aholy priest for example, can get to them. Doing this allows for a smoother cooperation between raid healers, as opposed to a chaotic one that relies on sporadic burst heals and the higher chance to wasted over healing.

I hope that makes sense to everyone reading this.

Talent Spec
    For those who complain about tl;dr, I bring you the thing your prolly wanting most, the talent spec!
    My personal spec(changed as of 3.3): Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

If you have any questions feel free to PM me, or post asking. Though, it would take took long to go into description of every talent chosen so I won't do that here.

Gear
    I won't say what EXACTLY to choose, as that gets too tedious with the whole balancing of stats and the fact it all depends what u have available to you, but I will say my priority in stats.

Stats:
    Spell Power>Haste>Spirit>Int>Crit

Why do I say this order?

SP is a given, we need it to heal good plain and simple.

Haste makes us heal fast! You'll want enough haste to get you to 1sec GCD(Global CoolDown) on rejuv/wild growth/etc, which is about 1193 haste with GOTE(gift of the earthmother) and no raid buffs. Though, you gain haste through boomkins/shamans/etc raid buffs too. I personally prefer to aim for the haste cap WITHOUT raid buffs, but since GOTE has been reworked the haste required for that is unbelievably high. So with 3.3, your goal should be aiming for haste cap while maintaining as high SP as you can.

Spirit is mana regen, and sp when in tree form. It's nice to have, trust me. Although, not as important as haste or sp.

Intelligence is mana. Larger mana pool leads to a longer period of time until you reach the point of OOM(out of mana). It also gives some crit chance, which at the moment is on the lower end of our druid healing concerns. Lastly, it gives some minor mp5. We're druids though, so who cares about mp5 we shouldn't be running out of mana anyway.

Crit is crit. We only have four spells we'll use that can crit, and their ability to crit really isn't that important beyond what talents can cover. There's swiftmend, lifebloom, nourish, and regrowth. Swiftmend's ability to crit isn't THAT important as it will still heal about 9k hp without critting, though a crit will make it about an 18k heal, nice but not necessary. Lifebloom, I'll be honest 99% of the time by the time it gets to the bloom(the only part that can crit) the person is most likely going to be at full hp anyway. So, the ability to crit is wonderful if you love to overheal, if you don't like overhealing, which you shouldn't, then crit isn't that important for lifebloom. That leaves nourish and regrowth, which we get over 25% chance to crit from talents alone. So, why need crit for these when talents alone suffice?

The age old question:
    MH/OH or Staff?!?!?!? Personally I say MH/OH hands down. In general, you'll get more SP from a MH/OH than you will a staff. You might lose some spirit, which might lead to less mana regen, but I don't usually have a problem with mana regen, and when I do there are other options available, such as mana potions and innervate.

Set bonuses:
    T9-4piece is a good beginner set, it is easily acquirable with triumph badges and it supplies a nice base amount of stats to work your character off of.
    T10-4piece is what you should be aiming for in 3.3, though unlike our previous sets it is not a set you will be wearing 24/7. Since the 4 piece bonus is only optimal for fights that have an aura, like blood queen, it should only be used in those fights. Outside of those fights I suggest making a haste set.

Gems:
    How you gem will be entirely based off of two factors. What the socket bonus is, and what meta gem requirements you need. If you have a piece with a +7 or +9 sp bonus and it requires only one non-red slot, I would gem for the bonus. If it's +5, that becomes your choice. I personally don't go out of my way for +5 gains. At most you lose only a small amount of SP from +7 and +9, and gain other valuable stats. If the socket bonus isn't a SP bonus, ignore the socket bonus and slot full red.

Regular slots:Meta choices:
    Ember Skyflare Diamond - Item - World of Warcraft
    Insightful Earthsiege Diamond - Item - World of Warcraft
    I prefer ember skyflare, as I have no issues with mana. If you find yourself having mana issues in raids, then you might want to switch to insightful earthsiege.

Idol
    :
    Idol of Awakening - Item - World of Warcraft
    Idol of Flaring Growth - Item - World of Warcraft
    Idol of the Black Willow - Item - World of Warcraft
    Flaring growth is the easiest to acquire, as you'll be wanting to aim all your frost badges toward T10 set.

Consumable:
    Flask: Flask of the Frost Wyrm - Item - World of Warcraft

Enchants: (best possible enchants)
    Head: Arcanum of Blissful Mending - Item - World of Warcraft
    Shoulders: Greater Inscription of the Crag - Item - World of Warcraft
    Cloak: Enchant Cloak - Greater Speed - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Chest: Enchant Chest - Powerful Stats - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Wrists: Enchant Bracers - Superior Spellpower - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Gloves: Enchant Gloves - Exceptional Spellpower - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Legs: Brilliant Spellthread - Item - World of Warcraft
    Boots: Enchant Boots - Greater Spirit - Spell - World of Warcraft or Enchant Boots - Tuskarr's Vitality - Spell - World of Warcraft (I suggest Tuskarr's)
    1h: Enchant Weapon - Mighty Spellpower - Spell - World of Warcraft
    2h: Enchant Staff - Greater Spellpower - Spell - World of Warcraft

Professions:
    If your the kind to choose professions for best possible outcome in a raid then you'll probably want tailoring. It's cloak enchant is the best SP bonus available from professions at the moment. Secondary profession I don't really know, they all give around the same SP bonus. Personally I love alchemy because I save money on flasks due to mixology buff.

Glyphs

Major:
    Swiftmend
    Wild growth
    (3rd is personal preference)

Minor:
    Unburdened rebirth
    The wild
    (Doesn't matter for 3rd)

How to heal
    Now, how to use those precious heals you've specced for and geared to use effectively.

Rejuvination, it's our bread and butter. This should be your main heal, cast this on everyone taking damage. Depending on the fight it's not worth it to put it on tanks, but thats just something experience will teach u, until you learn that put it on everyone. Just remember tanks will have their own designated healers, so remember to rejuvinate the DPS/healers before the tank in times of heavy raid damage.

Wild growth, second most important spell. You'll want to be casting this on every cooldown so that it's always up. If you have enough awareness try to keep it on larger groups of people so that you get the most efficiency out of it.

Swifmend, I generally save this skill for need by need basis. I'll use it on anyone at or below 25% hp. Some people use this skill every cooldown, but the problem I find with that is if you do that, then when someone actually does NEED an urgent swiftmend they'll be out of luck.

Lifebloom, honestly I dont use this much, the healing it does is less than rejuvination so I feel it's a waste of a global cooldown. As said earlier when talkign about crit, its only worth while heal, the actual bloom, takes 9 seconds, which by the time 9 seconds has passed most people will be topped off anyway, so it really does just end up being a waste. Your better off with rejuvination, or nourish.

Nourish is a very nice quck heal. I'll use this on anyone at, or below, 25% hp, ASSUMING swiftmend is on cd. It'll do about 5-6k heal with a base 25% chance to crit, in which case it'll do about 8-10k. Since it has no cd, its got the same gcd as rejuv(1 sec when haste capped), so it's very fast to spam on multiple people if the need arises.

Regrowth is a slow heal, but has a long hot duration. The only time I really use this is for fights where tanks are the primary ones being damaged, fights with VERY little raid damage, like general vezax, or fights where one specific person is being targetted for a short period of time, like ignis' slag pot or kologarn's stone grip. Otherwise, I don't see much point to it besides the occasional HOTing of a tank.

Nature's swiftness is another very nice skill. It has a 3 min cooldown, but allows for one instant cast spell Personally, I use it with regrowth for the chance for regrowth to crit to allow a livign seed proc. Most pair it with healing touch though. Another personal preference, again up to u to decide. Either way, don't waste it on any short cast spells, like nourish.

Cure curse/poison, use them when u can. They help keep the raid alive more than heals sometimes so use them!

Interface

Here's a list of all addon's I use, that I can rememer to list, and a brief description of what they do.

My addons
    :

• Elkano's buff bars, it shows all my buffs with some customization(I can choose which buffs show and don't show, etc)
    • Shadowed Unit Frames, basicly an HP bar for me/my target/focus/focus' target.
    • Grid. A VERY useful raid bar addon that lets me see everyone in the raid's hp bar. It's very customizable.
    • GridStatusHots. Basicly what this does is allows me to see hots(rejuv, wild growth, etc) on grid. Addon is also a bit tweaked so it shows only MY hots, and no other druids hots.
    • GridStatusLifebloom. Allows me to see lifeblooms on grid and color code it so lets say 1 stack=red, 2=yellow, 3=green, etc
    • GridIndicatorCornerText. Allows for text in the 4 corners(instead of just a box).
    • GridManaBars. A useful addon to see everyones mana bar, so if someone needs an innervate you know when to give it.
    • DruidAnnounces. Tells the raid when I use rebirth, whispers people when I innervate them so they know they've been innervated, etc
    • ClassTimer. I have mine set up to only show my timers on my target. So, when I click a person I see in the center of my screen the duration of my hots on that person. Grid shows this too, but I prefer to see it somewhere else too, so I can look other places besides grid to keep my awareness up.
    • BigBrother. Shows who's buffed with what, who's using flasks, etc
    • Bartender4, skill bar addon.
    • Azcastbar. Name says it all, It's a cast bar. I have it set to show the cast bar right above my grid.
    • Addoncontrolpanel, not visible. Allows me to enable/disable addons without logging out.
    • Recount. Shows healing meters, damage meters, etc. I usually have it set on damage so I can see who the top dps are, so if multiple die I can brez the top dps, rather than a lower dps.
    • Parrot. Floating combat text addon, I love it.
    • Deus Vox Encounter, my personal favorite raiding addon! Doesn't need much explanation, just GET IT.
    • Omen. Nice addon that shows threat. Not much use to a healer in most cases, but it's nice to watch threat every now and then so you know who the main tank is, and if someones about to pull agro.
    • Fortexorcist. A very nice cooldown counter. Displays your cooldowns by icon on a bar, as the cooldown gets closer to 0 the icon will slide across the bar. When the cooldown reaches zero the icon will "explode" letting you know the cooldown is over.

That about covers the guide of everything I can think of. If there's anything that needs to be added later, I'll add it and make a post notifying an update. If there are any questions, they can be pm'd to me or posted in the topic. If I get the same question enough, I'll end up making a FAQ section.

Quick Update
    Guide has been completely updated for the most recent patch, 3.3.
    Last edited by camaz0tz; 02-10-2010 at 08:37 PM.

Infat

This is great! I currently am a boomkin but am always asked to heal because someone leaves/doesnt show up. This should help me a ton Thanks for posting

Tits or destiny? Senior Member Dark3lf's Avatar

Don't forget to mention that not all BiS items are leather for druid so don't be ashamed to use cloth if it's an upgrade.
    Nice guide Cama

Infat

I dont know why but our guild leader doesnt like to give druids cloth Although we do talk him into it

yairt505

awesome!! ty

updated with a better screenshot of my ui like promised

Thats one of the most ridiculous UI's i've ever seen

Quote Originally Posted by CurLy View Post
    Thats one of the most ridiculous UI's i've ever seen
    ur point? works for me, now gtfo troll

Quote Originally Posted by camaz0tz View Post
    ur point? works for me, now gtfo troll
    My point is that on any fight where you can't get carried by addons your situational awareness is going to suck because literally your entire screen is flooded with crap. You said you don't have a large monitor, so use the UI scale to make your giant chat box smaller, and your ridiculously large buff bar smaller.

Guides - Ensidia
    Druid Restoration - Part 1 - General - Ensidia

Properly typed and cool pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLy View Post
    My point is that on any fight where you can't get carried by addons your situational awareness is going to suck because literally your entire screen is flooded with crap. You said you don't have a large monitor, so use the UI scale to make your giant chat box smaller, and your ridiculously large buff bar smaller.

Guides - Ensidia
    Druid Restoration - Part 1 - General - Ensidia

Properly typed and cool pictures.
    and yet i SOMEHOW manage to keep full awareness while raiding my UI is what works for me, everything i need to know is located around the center of my screen so im able to keep an eye on whats actually going on in the encounter while keeping an eye on the raids hp

the amazing thing about ui's is theres no PERFECT ui, everyone has their own preference for what works for them...mine works for me

my large buff bar i could make smaller without messing with UI scale, but i dont need to...nothing important ever happens in that corner because i stay zoomed out enough that everything i need to see stays in the center, same goes with my chat box or anything else at th ebottom or sides of my screen

i know the fights forward and backwards and with our raid leader calling out important things i could survive every fight blind folded :/ assuming i didnt have to heal others :P all debuffs that can possible effect raid members is mapped into grid to show me, all damage they take is shown by grid and in most cases whats giving them that damage, etc i know my class, my role, and the fights and ive built my ui around those 3 points
    Last edited by camaz0tz; 08-11-2009 at 02:46 PM.

updated with my opinion on new triumph emblem idol

StayOffLine

realy nice , i'm thinking to make druid when i back to wow , but i'm still not sure bcz i hate how taurren looks =p

9/28 Update:
    Ok well, I have now had my T9 4Pc set for a bit and have come to some conclusions about what will be needed for the set to make it efficient, as well as gathered some opinions about the set. First comes why I switched. I know, I know. You're probably thinking, "WHAT!? Why would you switch from an instant rejuv heal!?!?!?" I completely agree with you, instant rejuv heal is AMAZING. In fact, I still keep my T8 4Pc set in my bags. It is an AMAZING set bonus, especially for certain fights with a ton of burst raid damage, XT for example.

Let's also consider though, that in ToC, especially heroic, there's not that much raid burst damage, but rather a lot of slow BIG raid damage. What's the difference? Well, in ToC it's not so much about getting the heals out quick to keep people alive, holy priests can do this, but more-so about being able to counter the big ticks of damage that the raid will be taking over periods of time. That's exactly where the T9 set bonus comes into play. The rejuv crit ticks, which add about an extra 1-1.5k healing to a rejuv tick, will help to counter those bigger ticks of damage we're used to.

One big problem that comes with the T9 set though, is the balancing of stats. Crit is now a largely more valuable stat to us with the bonus. As such, we have to sacrifice some haste. Now for 25 man fights this isn't much of a problem, as there will be plenty of raid buffs to keep you over haste soft cap, but for 10 mans it can be an issue. One thing I suggest is to keep all your old resto gear. For 10 man's if you don't have the buffs you need to keep you over haste cap then you can switch some crit pieces for your old haste pieces, as 10 man's will be less damage you can afford to lose the crit. At the moment, with an updated spec I've built just for T9 4Pc set(PM me and I'll gladly share it and any explain any questions about why I switched what I did), I currently sit at around 19.7% crit and 522 haste. Obviously I am still in the process of regearing my set, but with this balance of stats I still see about 2-3 crits per duration of rejuv, which does more healing over time than T8 4pc does(a single extra heal). Ideally, I'll be aiming for 350 haste(for 25 mans) and as much crit as I can get with my haste that low.

TL;DR version:
    T9-4Pc=Good. Get it. Get more crit. Get less haste. Stay at 1 sec gcd.

T8-4Pc=Decent. Still good for some fights.

Infat

Cama,
    Do you happen to keep up with your HPS?? like the difference before and after the T9. Also I would like to gauge myself against other restos. I would also like you to check out my gear and give me some tips/advice. If you wouldnt mind doing that, let me know and I will PM you my armory.

Quote Originally Posted by Infat View Post
    Cama,
    Do you happen to keep up with your HPS?? like the difference before and after the T9. Also I would like to gauge myself against other restos. I would also like you to check out my gear and give me some tips/advice. If you wouldnt mind doing that, let me know and I will PM you my armory.
    ya sure just PM me

and ya i definately keep up with my HPS switching to t9...as said my crit is still low since im still adjusting most of my gear to get higher crit so my HPS will only get higher as i get more crit which is why i like t9 too, theres more area to improve on ur HPS...with t8 ur pretty much capped at what ur SP is but t9 is SP and crit so u have the potential to get way higher healing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast