Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

What are the difference between LoL and DoTA?

This is a discussion on What are the difference between LoL and DoTA? within the PC Gaming forums, part of the Games category; According to this article here and here ; LoL has become more and more popular and almost more veteran players ...
Page: 1

Default What are the difference between LoL and DoTA?

According to this article here and here;
    LoL has become more and more popular and almost more veteran players from different games including dota players migrate to LoL. Some veteran players said that they wanted to tried to enter the world championship. Last season, the e-sports tournament world champion of LoL became success.

What are the comparison between the LoL and the Dota? And how LoL became popular?
    Share your thoughts...

Sir DooM* Senior Member DoomBringer's Avatar

Oh no u didn't, kid u just went full retard.
    Alot of dota players moved to dota 2, alot of old dota players who moved to lol moved to dota 2.
    Dota 2 is holding the super bowl of e-sport.
    Quoting one of my friends who started out with lol and now is playing dota 2.
    "In dota u actually have to know what you're doing to win the game". Dota scene is much more competetiv than LoL.

League of Legends is a lot more dumbed down, I think. Good for casual players who don't want to or have the time to figure everything out before they can remotely enjoy the game.
    DoTA 2 is way more complex, so the learning curve is much higher; it's far more like the original DoTA than League of Legends is.

So, basically what DoomBringer said: in DoTA 2, you have to know what you're doing, otherwise you'll fail miserably. In LoL, you can generally get by without having a clue.

That said, I prefer LoL for its relative simplicity.
    MySexualIntention likes this.

Little archer Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by twostars View Post
    In LoL, you can generally get by without having a clue.
    Nah, you will still fail.

Both games are complex, but DotA is on a whole different league (no pun intended lol). Even the interface is hard to understand.

imma cut you up Senior Member lIIIIIIIIIIl's Avatar

LoL is for noobs, dota for pros. bb

LoL is way easier and clearly made to attract newbies. And since it was free it grew large really fast. HoN, imo was a much better game but since its ran by a bunch of retards, S2 fucked up over and over, made it so easy for LoL to get most of the DotA community that were bored with all the limitations of an old game like DotA but still wanted a fun and modern MOBA.

DotA2 is slowly getting back all that community. Some ppl will remain playing LoL, some others will move to DotA2. Imo, DotA2 is more complex and fun than LoL. Also, it was designed with the clear objective of being an e-sport which LoL wasn't. LoL didn't even have replays to begin with and didnt have them for a LONG time. It turned into a big e-sport cause they had a huge community and it was the natural step of any MOBA, but was never born as one since it was not spectator friendly.

Never liked games with a cartoonish look like LoL. DotA2 graphics are far superior, not to mention it's a steam game so you have all the benefits of steam.

imma cut you up Senior Member lIIIIIIIIIIl's Avatar

r u playing dota 2 devile? :O

i have no idea why but they made LoL an olympic sport… thats just retarded, League of Legends Now Official Olympic Sport | Play4Real

www.professionalko.com Senior Member nickos3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by m0nky View Post
    i have no idea why but they made LoL an olympic sport… thats just retarded, League of Legends Now Official Olympic Sport | Play4Real
    Video-games stupefy the humans and mainly the kids.
    Soon they'll tell us that video games trains fingers and intelligence.

All these are just bullshits, they just stultify the real meaning of the olympic games.

On-topic, i've never played LoL, i've seen others playing it here in my neighborhood and i never liked it. I play dota since 2003-2004 and it's one of my favorite games yet. Dota 2 is good too, even though i haven't played it too long.

To conclude, from whatever i've heared and i've seen, LoL is easy for newbies. The new generation (kids who come first time in touch with video games) definitely choose LoL than dota.
    Maybe with dota 2 the things might change, but, i haven't seen any changes so far.

Quote Originally Posted by lIIIIIIIIIIl View Post
    r u playing dota 2 devile? :O
    Sometimes I like MOBAs a lot. Mostly watch streams while working. Last International 3 was impressive
    lIIIIIIIIIIl likes this.

Senior Member MySexualIntention's Avatar

What these guys said, in short:

LoL = Casual moba

Dota = They should make a book about it. (Compared to LoL)

Little archer Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devile View Post
    LoL is way easier and clearly made to attract newbies. And since it was free it grew large really fast. HoN, imo was a much better game but since its ran by a bunch of retards, S2 fucked up over and over, made it so easy for LoL to get most of the DotA community that were bored with all the limitations of an old game like DotA but still wanted a fun and modern MOBA.

DotA2 is slowly getting back all that community. Some ppl will remain playing LoL, some others will move to DotA2. Imo, DotA2 is more complex and fun than LoL. Also, it was designed with the clear objective of being an e-sport which LoL wasn't. LoL didn't even have replays to begin with and didnt have them for a LONG time. It turned into a big e-sport cause they had a huge community and it was the natural step of any MOBA, but was never born as one since it was not spectator friendly.

Never liked games with a cartoonish look like LoL. DotA2 graphics are far superior, not to mention it's a steam game so you have all the benefits of steam.
    LoL still doesn't have replays lmfao.

Quite frankly Riot games, the company behind LoL, has become very lazy lately... so I wouldn't mind if DotA2 grabs the #1 slot. LoL doesn't frikkin deserve it.

ughh.. fu dota and fu lol go play hon =)

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalDeluxe View Post
    ughh.. fu dota and fu lol go play hon =)
    I spent over $400 on HoN accounts, avatars, packs, announcers, etc. I was one of their biggest supporters and promoters in my region. Even organized tournaments. All for what? So months later they fucked me in the ass, forcing me to play just with LatinAmerican ppl (including the annoying Brazilians). I have a lot of friends in USA and now I can't play with them and I have to bare the idea of playing with retards who can't speak decent english and enjoy trolling 24x7????. Hello DotA2!

Fuck S2 Games. Worst company ever. Reminds me a lot to K2, never listening to their community and always screwing them. They made a very good game but all their business decisions were a disaster. One after the other.

People who are saying LoL is for newbies and Dota for pros, you are just wrong. Im serious, this is what a kid (no offense) with no capacity to make an objective point would say. I have plaid both games, started with Dota when it was a random map on the W3 engine.

Dota is a more complex game. Creep denial, microing jungle creeps, dodging mechanics in the jungle and through trees, TP support, are non existant in LoL.

However LoL includes several other factors like pregame preparation by choosing different kind of runes and summoner spells. LoL is a lot more dynamic than Dota, an alche might be left alone for 20 mins in Dota while farming with no trouble at all. LoL has a MUCH smaller map so ganks happen often, you NEED to have wards in your lane or else you can loose your lane hard after only one gank. Summoner spells like Cleanse and items like Quicksilver sash wich allow you to get rid of CC are HUGE, proper use of this skills destroy teamfights in your favor. There are no 4 second stuns in LoL, executing proper chain stunning in Dota is way easier than in LoL.

Shit like Wisp + Furion combo would win a game in 10 minutes in LoL since the snowballing in LoL is much worse than in Dota.

Whom ever thinks that a noob can get by in LoL just fine, send me your summoner name, ill show you just how wrong you are. Both games, if you play against someone that knows what they are doing, and you dont, you will get raped. And in LoL you getting raped and loosing your lane in 5 minutes will most likely end up in your team loosing, since your lane opponent can just push, roam, and be back to grab most of the creep wave once you have pushed it back, thus snowballing other lanes. In Dota you win your lane and once you leave it its a long ass time before you can get back, thats why you can just sit in your tower and be lvl 1 while your lane opponents are lvl 5, you can get back. In LoL 9 out of 10 times that means you just lost the game for your team. Keep in mind, a bad engagement in LoL at the start of the game means you are screwed, no crow to bring you a heal salve, no jungler to give you his heal salve, you go back or get dived by the enemy jungler, thats it.

Ive heard many people who play Dota complain about Flash in Lol, they think its op to have a free blink at lvl 1. That shit has a huge cooldown, and in Dota you have items that impact the game and your game play in a much more deffenitive way. Blink dagger + forcestaff is a godlike combination of items, shit like that is non existant in LoL, much like BKB, any LoL player would agree that being able to initiate a team fight with dagger and forcestaff is broken as fuck, and BKB ? No CC for 10 seconds ? That just means I have to farm 40 min and then win the game. Right ? No.

Both games require an insane amount of precision and execution at high level of play. Both games are amazing and highly challenging to master. I like LoL better because of the ranked system.

This comment comes from someone that was Platinum Elo in S2 in LoL, and that plaid Dota since it was created (im 27 now, was like 16 or 15 first time I plaid dota), I remember downloading replays of Kuroky and Vigosss just to see what the pros where up to (sidenote i was heart broken when one of my all time heroes "Burning" lost in the International), I have plaid Dota 2 on and off but like I said, I liked LoL better so thats what I plaid the most.
    WSxMagicians likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast