Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Whats the best book you had to read for school?

This is a discussion on Whats the best book you had to read for school? within the Books forums, part of the General Entertainment category; Lots of people generally complain that the books they have to study for high school are generally sucky. However in ...
Page: 1

Scallywag

Default Whats the best book you had to read for school?

Lots of people generally complain that the books they have to study for high school are generally sucky. However in the 6 years of high school i did come across some books that i prolly would never otherwise have read that really left an impression on me.

Whats your top 5 list? Heres mine.

1) George Orwells 1984 - to me this is MUST read for everyone. Its kind of scary how a person writing over 50 years ago could so accurately picture the future and the whole BIG BROTHER concept

2) Aldous Huxley's Brave New World...again an absolutely frightening vision of the future written over 50 years ago...very relevent to what society is becoming with cloning, invitro fertilisation, the break up of the nuclear family, and a society obsessed with consumerism and pleasure.

3) William Goldings Lord of the Flies - i kinda equate what happens in this book to what happens in KO ^^ The book looks at human nature and shows that when the restraints of civilization are taken away, the the base form of human nature will lead to anarchy, violence and death. Survival is of utmost importance. Ring a bell with the game?

4) The Crucible and 12 Angry Men - two of the best plays ever and again a terrible but realistic endictment of society.

Green Eggs and Ham.

Scallywag

Yah i loved everyone of his books
    wish wed studied them in high school :P

NickM

Where is you rlife?! neic book

NickM

but many boring books

aka Manipulation Senior Member KungPaoChicken's Avatar

Are you kidding me? None. They just choose books that show different writing styles, nothing merely interesting.

P.S. It's hard to make a top 5 list if you use 4 to make it.

Scallywag

hum..there r 5 there..but 2 are plays..guess if ya wanna be pedantic i'll remove the two plays and put in to kill a mockingbird and the hobbit

its a shame that noone else studied books they enjoyed

DarkKnightH20

I don't have a 5, but the best book, by far, that I had to read for school was Ender's Game. I later bought other Ender-books and read them too.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnightH20 View Post
    I don't have a 5, but the best book, by far, that I had to read for school was Ender's Game. I later bought other Ender-books and read them too.
    WOW you got to read this in school??? WFT??? You have one cool teacher. That book in particular is one of the best sci fi books of all time (imho). Lucky bastard!

I think for school the best book I got to read that wasn't complete torture was Stanly Kubrick's Clockwork Orange, that book was so twisted and brutal, I loved it. I think it was the only book I got an A on...

Banned

Snabba cash

Dro
    As hot sauce on your taco Senior Member

The Picture of Dorian Gray is among my favorites. Want to see the movie they just made about it but keep on forgetting to dload it. Demian. Hamlet is quite a reading. One hundred years of solitud. And all of Tolkien's books are amazing.

Dead poets society was the best book i got to read in school

nothing interesting there lol haven't read a single one... always reading summary from a nice site :P hate all that school shits -_-

Best book I had to read for school was Tolkien's books... I had to make a presentation about a topic I chose and it was about Tolkien

uhm only ones i can remember is

Enders Game
    Lord Of The Flies
    and The Best BudNotBuddy

hchu00

Harry Potter

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast