Report: Wii overtakes 360 in international sales

This is a discussion on Report: Wii overtakes 360 in international sales within the Consoles forums, part of the Games category; Today, the Financial Times reported that the three-way race between the next-generation consoles has a new frontrunner. Citing cumulative sales ...
Page: 1

flyingcow

Today, the Financial Times reported that the three-way race between the next-generation consoles has a new frontrunner. Citing cumulative sales data through the end of July, the British newspaper's Japanese correspondent is claiming that the Nintendo Wii has now sold more units worldwide than the Xbox 360, despite the latter's year-long head start.

According to the FT, approximately 9 million Wiis were purchased across the globe as of July 31, just barely overtaking the 360's sales of 8.9 million units during the same period. Both platforms were far ahead of the PlayStation 3, which sold only around an estimated 3.7 million units internationally.

If those numbers seem low, it's because they are for consoles that have been sold, not shipped. Typically, hardware makers tout the number of consoles they have shipped into the retail channels, not the number of actual consoles sold. In July, Microsoft announced it had shipped 11.5 million 360s, short of its self-imposed 12-million-unit goal. In May, Sony said it produced 5.5 million PS3s worldwide, though it has since changed its tracking method to account for consoles sold instead of made. Reps for Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony had not responded to requests for comment on the FT piece as of press time.

If accurate, the Wii sales milestone is a watershed for Nintendo. Though it has consistently dominated the handheld market, the 9-million-unit figure would mark the first time since the Super Nintendo Entertainment System era that Nintendo can lay claim to the best-selling console of its generation.

After launching a year behind the PlayStation 2 in 2001, the GameCube slid into third place, falling behind the Xbox, which was launched at nearly the same time. According to Wedbush Morgan Securities estimates, the still-in-production PS2 sold 112 million units internationally as of April 2007. By comparison, the now-discontinued Xbox and GameCube sold 23.1 million and 22.1 million units, respectively. Launched in late 1998, the Sega Dreamcast only sold 8.5 million units worldwide during its short lifetime.

The Mario Factory's previous console, the Nintendo 64, was trounced by the then-upstart original PlayStation, selling an estimated 29.8 million to 85.7 million units through April 2007. The SNES sold 46.5 million units, versus the Sega Genesis' 25.8 million units.

But still Wii sucks, don&#39;t know, I don&#39;t like much the games, to &#39;childish&#39; maybe, I played Zelda don&#39;t remember the name, and I thought it will be cool and all with the control, but nah, I did something, and Link did another thing :<

Xbox 360 > all

Banned

WII is shit, i think WII over selling because of the price and the kid games it got
    inorder to play H3 need 360 so all those fags with xbox gatta upgrade zuahaha

Banned

the only GOOD game is Wii Sports. Everything else is just retarded

Banned

Amazing how this console sells the most, when it was released it caused a lot of people to lose high dollar tv&#39;s because of the wiimote shit. Sry, I&#39;ll keep the 360, better games then ps3, doesn&#39;t break tv&#39;s like wii.

RYANORILEY

Amazing how this console sells the most, when it was released it caused a lot of people to lose high dollar tv&#39;s because of the wiimote shit. Sry, I&#39;ll keep the 360, better games then ps3, doesn&#39;t break tv&#39;s like wii.[/b]
    xbox 360 ftw wii is lame had one just to check it out if i wanted to move that much i would go get on a damn bike and ride it. had ps3 and hated the y axis shit but no bitchin out of me about the 360 it breaks they fix it and good game selection compared to other systems out there. i will get another ps3 when the tekken comes out someday

ElektraWins

games are waste of time, but we keep playin :P

ShadowBane

doesn&#39;t break tv&#39;s like wii.[/b]
    Um first of all,the&#39;ve updated the corde so it dosnt just hit the TV
    and second of all,you must really be stupid to go bersek with ur Wii mote.
    Its funny how ppl complain they got there TV broke,just stfu,u just had to go easy with the remote...

who the hell break their tv from playing game?

except for crazy kid who got frustrated about it :P

are you crazy?

OmegaXninja

O_o i did&#39;nt know this lol but idc,,,, HALO 3!!!!!!!!!!!! FTWWW!!!!

agendas

WII RULES! so all shush :P wii sports and zelda are cool, i actually like donkey kong barrel blast best :P so interactive so u dont jus work your fingers...... mario party is fun for whole family XD :P

agendas

I got both. I must say tho the wii is great for multi player games with friends. But one of the reasons for the wii sales being more than 360 is the amount of wiis out there. They send like 5 out to each store each month. So once those reach the stores they are instantly bought. As for the 360 they were mostly all sold in beginning so theres alot lying around on shelves.

jordan900

gogo wii!!

agendas

gogo wii!![/b]