Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

What makes Manga/Anime so much better than american cartoon shit?

This is a discussion on What makes Manga/Anime so much better than american cartoon shit? within the Anime and Manga forums, part of the General Entertainment category; Why do you assume that american cartoons are worse than anime? I can name several american cartoons with better stories ...
Page: 3

Why do you assume that american cartoons are worse than anime?

I can name several american cartoons with better stories and just as artisitc flair as any anime. For reference, see Superman: The Animated Series, Spiderman (the one from the 90s, not the superman and friends, the one on a different planet, or the mtv one), Batman (again from the 90s, when he still had the yellow background for the bat on his chest), Samurai Jack, Dexter's Laboratory, Avatar: The Last Airbender. All of them are story driven, artisitically unique, had continuous plot lines, and were uniquely American.

And if you just want other good American cartoons, Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama, South Park, all provide more adult humor to the party, instead of just adult situations like most anime. And South Park has been more gruesome and disturbing at times than all but the most hardcore slasher of anime (remember the original airing of Garrison's sugery? They showed actual real life sack cutting, now that is disturbing).

Anime is just a reflection of the culture would rather see. Anime is more drama, action, and emotion based. American cartoons tend be more about some action, but mainly humor. Why is wanting to laugh more a detriment to american cartoons? Instead of us needing to be more serious, maybe the Japanese need to light the hell up.[/b]
    omg ur so right bout the 90's cartoons especially batman... i grew up watching these and even at that age they were like crack for my eyes... GG shows.

(\/) (;,,;) (\/) Why not Zoidberg? Admin camaz0tz's Avatar

i love it when people coin DBZ as the token anime for all examples...lots of people think dbz was a complete SHIT anime, nothing but whole episodes dedicated to "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH ZOMG I REACHED A NEW LEVEL!"

good american cartoons? simpsons thats about it, thats the only show that has continued to be funny...wanna know a huge difference between american cartoons and japanese animes? american cartoons just drop off, no conclusion to the story they just disappear whereas animes have an actual story they follow so they reach an ending and actually end OR they continue but they dont lose quality(like americans too often do) and remain true to their story if anything only getting better, but animes NEVER just end without any sort of conclusion

mdeac48

DBZ did take forever to do anything, and when it did do something, they liked to cheat on the animation and make it so fast you couldn't see anything of interest.

Part of that is how all American TV is made. You have to leave the ending open with only a sense of a finish because its easier to get sold into syndication if people don't have everything wrapped up in a nice neat ball. Also, the decision to cancel a t.v. show may not be made until mid season (or later), and animated shows take far too much time to make to create an effective ending, or even attempt one.

I assume that anime doesn't run into this problem as much because the shows are pre-bought for a greater number of shows, or make it a point to get through the story in a fewer number of shows. Anime is also first developed to have a specific plot line to follow, like basically any drama. But anything more humor related (animated or not) rarely follows a clear progression of event to an eventual conclusion, thats just how each genre develops.

mahmoodxD

well South park in my opinion is truly revolutionary, Scott Tenorman Must Die was the greatest episode of any show ive ever seen. Like I couldn't stop laughing yet i had this truly disturbed uneasy feeling that normally would make any action besides staring into space inconceivable.

mdeac48

South Park was revolutionary. But recently, its just been pointless shock value. Garrison's surgery, Wendy's surgery, death of chef, gratuitous amounts of violence, its all fine in its time, but the show doesn't have as much of a pointing out the stupidity of the situation by simply presenting the situation. Remember the Mormon or Scientology episodes? I haven't gotten that kind of funny from them in awhile.

mahmoodxD

i agree, the last 2 seasons were disappointing, though i thought apologies to jesse jackson was EPIC, one of their best, since that ep they have all been ok, though pretty much all shows start to decline by this point, and that includes anime/manga

lol the mormon one was great beyond belief, i love the part in the scientology one when its just like "this is what scientologists actually believe" =D also the ones with russel crowe and scott tenorman were amazing XD

Xtr3m3

The only difference between Anime's and cartoons (Americans) is that they are more interesting. Anime's show real "emotion" and there a point to the whole story. Plus they are not scared to get graphic.

You can see this by just watching the first 100 episodes of One Piece(American Version) and One Piece(Japanese-subbed version). There is a HUGE difference.

I quit watching One Piece because of the American version. Recently I watched the Japanese version and I'm very pleased

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123