How to become a luring master 1.0
Luring monsters is an old hobby of mine. it can come quite handy in multiple scenarios, all while providing you heaps of fun as long as you do it right.
Got unfairly kicked from party?
Some party just came and started ksing your slot?
Someone is selling the item you want to sell, perhaps too cheap?
or maybe you are just... Bored?
Follow this tutorial and put an end to all these problems
First, there are two types of luring:
a) passive luring
b) offensive luring
a) passive luring consists in using any class and calling 1 or more monsters to a desired place, to lose agro you outrange them or just /town.
these monsters will not agro, and will just sit there. this kind of luring only works if you know the people you are luring onto are stupid enough to attack it, or maybe they are using an automated program (or game feature).
b) and then we have offensive luring. to perform offensive luring, you need the following requirements:
-Level 50 archer or higher
-Level 1 explore ability called "Hide" (I'll call it stealth in this guide, not to be confused with the assassin's level 45 ability). This stealth BREAKS the second you move, so sit there tightly while invisible if you want to be safe.
50 archery to have 3 poison arrows, a bow and arrows so you can actually cast those arrows.
The strategy is simple, use all 3 types of poison arrows to lure multiple monsters at the same time, once you reach your destination, you cast hide and let them do the job.
poison arrows allow you to retain agro even while stealthed, so these monsters will agro on any nearby unfortunate peasants.
so now lets face the inconveniences.
3. Common issues and other tips
1. If you lose agro from any of the monsters while they are on their way to slot (due to not renewing poison on them) they will just sit there. there is a chance that they wont agro on people even if you go back to re-lure them again.
2. The width of some monsters can make it hard to actually make a lure succeed. It can be easy to initially bring 3x Dark mares but the problems arise when you want to keep up the poison on the other 2. their bodies are too wide and you will miss the arrows, failing to lure (you can't go back in this case to renew the poison on the ones that fell behind, or you will instantly die). In a case like this, you can only stop so many times to cast poison, because DM's run very very fast.
2.1 not only their bodies can be wide, but there's a bug that for some reason you CANNOT click them if they are bunched up, and Z'ing only helps so much when you want to target an specific monster in the group.
3. Moving right after you stealth (Breaking stealth) can be dangerous, because the poison is still inflicting DoT most likely, so if you break stealth there's a chance that they will agro on you again (depending on how close to you they are)
4. Once the job is done, in case you want to use the same monsters for another slot, don't wait too much to inflict poison on them again, otherwise they will become harmless (like in passive luring)
5. Always block trades before doing any of this.
6. Trading someone right as you stealth is suicide. the trade will make your stealth get a casting failed and you'll die. always wait til your Hide cast is halfway on before you trade your victim.
7. To accurately land a monster on a certain person, use Hide a little past them, because the monster always stop 1 meter behind you or so, and will target the closest person.
8. Always use light feet, but don't run too far from the monsters or they will lose agro and become passive (most of the times)
9. When luring to eslant town, before you start, lure a single troll and make sure it gets agro on every single town guard, and then while keeping agro with mad poison DoT, lure it to the back of one of the eslant zones. the guards will follow that mob until the end of the world so they wont be an annoyance anymore!
10. Be reasonable in the amount of stuff that you are luring. My personal limit is 2 dread mares, even that is stupidly dangerous. Unless you have a dedicated luring char where it doesn't matter if you die or not, don't bother risking getting exped. the worst thing to happen is that you get exped and the noobs you were luring onto Tbag you and laugh at your failure. don't fail!
11. It is safe to break stealth once your DoT is almost wearing off and the monster is busy targeting someone else. Unless you really do repeated damage to said monster, it won't break agro on the poor soul it happened to attack. Make sure to keep some distance though.
12. ALWAYS use ranged-arrow combo. you cant sit there for the full cast duration if you intend to not receive any damage at all.
13. Make sure your internet is stable (in the case that it matters whether you die or not) before doing this. because any kind of lag could result in death when doing this. 1 second lag is enough to get raped by DM's, and even harpies could get you if you lag long enough
4. Strategies and etc.
Sometimes just simply luring can quickly trash your reputation, unless you have a dedicated luring char, you dont want that to happen. so be subtle in your approach if possible.
some strategies available for that:
1. Blame the naked guy with a koxper looking bow. always a great idea.
2. Receive some hits from the monster if possible (if you can tank it), red ball if you can and then do [#1]
3. When luring to town (eslant town specifically) you can town when you are at the other side of town, and be less suspicious this way (the monsters must have already taken agro into someone before you do this. if you town before they agro someone, they will follow you)
4. You can PM the guy you are about to lure onto, to confirm whether they are AFK or not (trading also works)
5. Luring [Quest] Troll captain (doesn't agro, ever) surrounded by a bunch of trolls is an effective way of deceiving some white knights into attacking them, and dying. they will get mad but tbh it was their fault for trying to save the day.
6. (Orc side only) Luring [Quest] Apostle is a great and hilarious way of fooling some people into attacking them, though now its easier than ever because thanks to the genie system, everyone is always AFK so even luring a dark stone would work. The proper way to lure quest apostle on a non AFK party is to lure it all the way in the back without anyone noticing, and then stopping between harpies and apostle (where quest lard orc is, more or less), and towning afterwards, making sure that on its way back (the monster will run back to his spawn), it crosses the paramun slot 1 or 2 (or both). Distracted attackers will drop.
1. Y u do dis?
Sometimes it's a necessary thing to do on assholes that remove you from party or people that simply deserve it, or just for fun. I would never do this to people i know, or to english speakers (there are exceptions). Anyway, luring never works as long as the victim knows how to play safe and dont AFK in lone areas or piss off the wrong guy.
2. Can this get me banned?
Always a chance, it might get you banned as much as KSing could get you banned. its a nice idea to have a secondary account to do this. though if you are brave like me, you will do it on your main np.
3. Which monsters and zones are perfect for the job?
Moradon: "test" monsters aka Lich-looking monsters, or wanderers of dimensions (zombies), but the liches are the best because of their width, its impossible to miss.
EMC: Troll warrior(s), sadly it is never very effective unless everyone is AFK.
Eslant: Trolls and harpies (5 of them) for a quick death, dread mare for a guaranteed death, no matter how many saviors try to minor or lure it away, balogs for quick paramun carnage, Troll shamans for the epic FPS-freezing aoe HP debuff, and Half troll curanderos (EUKO) or Troll captains (only in Elmorad eslant there are TC close to troll shamans, usually they are in the back) for good damage and quickness.
CZ: Sadly, old Apostles of fire used to have the aoe DoT curse that troll shamans have, and they were very prone to use it. but now it has been removed in both ko's so its basically impossible to exp people like this (There are also troll shamans in cz, but their DoT curse almost never goes off, and when it does, it is randomly)