Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Gaming decition

This is a discussion on Gaming decition within the Consoles forums, part of the Games category; Alright, here's the deal. Trying to decide weather to get: A) An Xbox360, with most likely games like Halo (III ...
Page: 1

Dro
    As hot sauce on your taco Senior Member

Alright, here's the deal. Trying to decide weather to get:

A) An Xbox360, with most likely games like Halo (III unless a newer one gets announced soon), Gears of War (2nd, once it comes out), any football game, and whatever tickles my fancy. But few people I know has one, and even tho I could just play online, would much rather play along other people. Mayor downsides from what I can see: Expensive games, when patching tu use copies of games can't play online any longer, expensive console, most of it's games are FPS (First Person Shooter) style. Plus: Great online system, insane games, insane graphics, can browse internet on it (afaik).

B) A nintendo Wii. Mainly for games such as Super Smash Brothers, Zelda, Wii Health (or w/e the name is), Mario Kart, and Star Fox if it comes out. Disadvantes: I've heard most games are boring unless played with other people. Games are also kind of expensive, and would need to acquiare controls for max players and what not. Plus: Lots of accesories, and I kinda always wanted to do Yoga but can't here cuz everywhere I look arround is just a class with old ladies (and not even the hot ones that put out kind of grandmothers).

C) Upgrading my PC, getting 2 of the best RAM cards I can probably get ahold of, The best NVidia out there, Maybe changing my motherboard for a better one with a AMD processor ideal for gaming, and what not. Plus side: DIABLO III BITCHES! Can get a whole wider variety of games, since pretty much anything for xbox/ps3 gets available eventually for pc. Can get copies of almost all games instead of originals (far cheaper, but can't play online) Downside: Can't play with any of my friends... probably at all. Some cool games in xbox (eg: Halo III, Gears of war II) don't come out in PC till years later, wich by time whatever I get might not work or be the best hardware, wich leads to another problem... upgrades don't last forever, usually no longer than 2 years, in comparisson to what new technologies bring to the tech table.

Probably won't be buying one till I end up this semester, since due to my addictive personality it'd probably make me fail every single class... with grades below 0 likely. I'd even spell my name wrong to get the fuck out of there faster and get to gaming. But still... wanna make a decition in case someone I know comes from the states soon and can bring me whatever I choose so I can get to gaming as soon as vacations come.

Get them all, and on top of that, get a PS3 as well

Banned Senior Member

You cant afford the best Nvidia cards Dro, only Peruvian who can is Devile

It would have to be an Xbox 360 or upgrading your PC.

The problem with the Xbox 360 is that Microsoft fucken sucks,which means every so and then you will need send in the console for repairs etc (takes 1-3 weeks to get it repaired..)I've had to send it in a lot of times...Oh ya!I forgot to say when my Xbox had a problem,I sent it in and when it was repaired and sent back,they forgot to send back the Hardrive!Took about a week to get that,a week of no saving,no online :S
    Other than that,the Xbox is a really good console,the best,and the games are very good and online is even better.

Don't think about the Wii

Dro

But... Zelda?

I can afford the best NVidia card you asshol emoboy! Can't get them all tho... As far as the repairs on the xbox, I don't think it'd be a problem here, maintanance of electrical devices is rather cheap and fast... not sure how good it'd be tho.

Banned Senior Member

Alright, I guess I will take your post seriously for once...

your first decision is a xbox 360. You mentioned it does have Halo3 ( and then kinda complained that alot of it's games are FPS :P ) You also said "whatever tickles my fancy" so we cant exactly tell what kind of games your into. Games aren't really "expensive" I dont know how much they cost down there but generally all console games here cost the same ( anywhere from $60-70) unless they are special/collectors editions. Game patches dont affect if you can play online or not, unless you want to go online but for whatever reason dont want to patch the game ( and thats just stupid ). The console itself isn't that expensive, it's affordable if you try ( again, i'm talking about up here, I'm used to North American prices ) It does have a good online, and just like any other system, if developers tried they could make a game look good. There are great graphic games on the 360, ps3, and even the Wii.

Your next choice was a Wii. The Wii is a little "family" console if you could put it into those words. It does have all the loveable Nintendo characters on it and the games are fun to play. Smash Bros was fun but it's a party game, you cant play it by yourself and have fun for a long time. Zelda game was good, I still haven't gotten around to beating it yet but I enjoyed what I played. Wii Fit I have no idea about, but it's supposed to be good for whatever it does with the balance board. The Wii games are the cheapest of all 3 consoles I've seen, so if your saying they are expensive, dont get a console Just like every console, more players = more controllers. It would be the same with the xbox and ps3 just as the Wii. Lets also not mention Nintendo's lack of "Online". yes it's there for I think 2 games.... but dont bother

Last choice was upgrade of your PC, these are always fun ones. First thing you mentioned was upgrading to better/faster RAM. There are ALOT of choices with this one. Most important ones you need to look at are how much total RAM will you have? dont go past 3gb unless you have a 64bit OS. Also if your getting new RAM, dont mix it with your old ones. RAM can only work at one clock speed. I'm guessing unless you bought RAM a little while ago, you might have sticked clocked at 3200 and anything these days is 6200+ I believe. If you put a 6200 beside a compatible 3200, it will declock itself to match the 3200 which makes it slower. Also it's cooling will be important to you as well if you want to get something like gaming ram which is metal encased.
    AMD used to be the processor for gaming, however they have slipped a little in the past years. Do research into it, I still believe an Intel processor will do better for you, but the AMD is a cheaper processor as well. Dont even bother mentioning Diablo 3 as a reason to get a new PC right now, it wont be out till at least 2010 and by the time it does come out, your upgraded PC will prob cost you a total of $400 to remake. You dd bring up a point everyone has to remember, PC's need upgrades. Depending on what style of gamer you are/will be, there might be a few, there might be alot. And those can get expensive. The newest video cards on the market cost more then a ps3, 360, or Wii.
    And ofc, with the PC comes the world of the internet. You can get any game you want for free if you know how to do it, and they can even go online

SocialParasite Senior Member Kronos's Avatar

I'd go for new or upgraded Pc ,consoles are so fucking limited compare to PC's.

If you need any help with custom configuration of PC I will be happy to help you in choosing components.

guykap

dont go past 3gb unless you have a 64bit OS.[/b]
    Can you please explain why? I'm just getting a new pc with an option to expand to 4gb ram instead of 2 and I think it is 32bit OS.

I personally own a PS3 so my choice would be a ps3 over xbox360, and what has been mentioned here is that newer graphic cards can cost more than a new console.. Upgrading your pc can get very expensive, hardware needs to be compatible with what you get therefor you might have to upgrade older hardware whcih you didn't have in mind.. I considered upgrading my old pc and ended up buying a new one cause it was cheaper.

Banned Senior Member

Can you please explain why? I'm just getting a new pc with an option to expand to 4gb ram instead of 2 and I think it is 32bit OS.

I personally own a PS3 so my choice would be a ps3 over xbox360, and what has been mentioned here is that newer graphic cards can cost more than a new console.. Upgrading your pc can get very expensive, hardware needs to be compatible with what you get therefor you might have to upgrade older hardware whcih you didn't have in mind.. I considered upgrading my old pc and ended up buying a new one cause it was cheaper.[/b]
    a 32bit OS can only use 4gb of ram at it's max, my PC has 4gb of ram but because it's a 32bit OS, I can only use 3gb of it, the other GB is used up by system memory/video card. You can have 4gbs of ram in your pc if you wish, however when you look at it's system properties, it will only recognize 3

Lol since when did you get a choice?
    Isn't it you can only get what you can rob from the Rich English white boy ?

Dro

Right now I'm using as OS Windows uE, wich is a variant of Windows XP, but without bullshit process running all the time. Is faster than Windows XP professional, but without all the annoyance of Vista. If I were to change OS, it'd be probably to Fedora (after doing some reaserch in compatibility with most games/programs I'd need) with 64 bits. But wouldn't really plan to go over 3gb of RAM. I know it needs to be compatible with my sockets and gotta have all my ram cards at the same frequency for them to be efficient.

Well, paying 60-70$ per game over there, translates to expensive here, at least when buying originals. Thing is tho, there's pretty much no enforcement of laws against piracy. Wich means that I can get any game that is recorded into DVD or Blu Ray for arround 3-5$. To be able to play them, gotta install a chip into the console, but with it can't play online.

And what I meant with xbox having too many FPS was just about that. I mean, everytime I watch an XBox on display, there's a FPS game, and all the good releases I've seen arround for xbox are FPS aswell... I'd love to have a xbox to play Halo or Gears of War, but wouldn't wanna get stucked into a gaming console for wich the only good games are pretty much the same style.

And last but not least, biggest problem for me when getting a computer, is that is pretty much 1 person game. I mean, can get to play with a whole comunity when going online, and even the not online games are a lot of fun, and far more enjoyable to play with a mouse, but seeing the face of the person you are owning, and be able to mock them for being weak is awesome. Plus, I've got two brothers and a gaming dad, all of wich enjoy videogames aswell. If I upgrade PC is pretty much just me (and I'd probably get addicted again like on KO), but if I get an xbox is both online and real life gaming. And by real life = Playing with someone right next to you, and being able to throw your elbow at their ribbs whenever you are losing.

Upgrade the PC, consoles is funny when u play with friends, but aint really any funny coop/2player games out, that lasts more then 3-4 nights of gaming :/
    And online playing on consoles blow Since FPS shud be played with keyboard and mouse not a weird controller.

DarK

It would have to be an Xbox 360 or upgrading your PC.

The problem with the Xbox 360 is that Microsoft fucken sucks,which means every so and then you will need send in the console for repairs etc (takes 1-3 weeks to get it repaired..)I've had to send it in a lot of times...Oh ya!I forgot to say when my Xbox had a problem,I sent it in and when it was repaired and sent back,they forgot to send back the Hardrive!Took about a week to get that,a week of no saving,no online :S
    Other than that,the Xbox is a really good console,the best,and the games are very good and online is even better.

Don't think about the Wii [/b]

Do you keep your xbox beside a heater or sth?

I've had mine for a long time and played it regularly and had NO problems, you gotta get some sort of cooling device though, there are lots of them for around 20$. Also there are some racing games for xbox, if you like those kind of games. (i recommend you try Grid).

Whatever you do, I wouldnt recommend buying a Wii, there only fun like you said with other people around.

I love Wii

Dark_sith

360>PC>WII

If your going to get a 360 you might just shed out some extra cash and get a PS3.The 80 GB is cutting down to 400$ in September, but if you don't have a HDTV your not going to have a good experience with the system, what kind of T.V. do you have ? you may just want to get a 360 if your playing on a SDTV anyways, but with those three choices given go for the 360

WII you need other people to play with or it's boring as fuck unless you a 7 year old jacked up on sugar or your taking massive amounts of drugs to cut the boredom down

360 Young Teenagers/adults play this, Online will cost a little fee, but it would be better then a WII or a PC, just make sure you take care of it because that bitch breaks down so much

PC you need $$$$ and it's more of a solo thing unless you get into a clan

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast