Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Travel and live in china..

This is a discussion on Travel and live in china.. within the Off Topic forums, part of the Entertainment category; Hello fellas dont ask me why pls. anyway I'm planning to travel and live in china in a couple of ...
Page: 1

Hello fellas dont ask me why pls.

anyway I'm planning to travel and live in china in a couple of years, but I'm not sure about how I am going to live and survive there yet. I'm 18 now and after summer I'm going to start in a chinies class.. I'm planning to go in that class for about 2 years and then I'll probably work here in sweden for like 2 years to save some cash and still get some spared time to learn more chinies.
    But I dunno how much chinies I actually can achive in the meantime. probably not nuff to speak clear chinies but hopefully still enough to read on board signs and so on
    Another thing is, if anyone know something about china can you recomend me a place where most ppl actually know some Engish aswell, else I would be kinda lost and helpless if I don't achive enough chinies in the class.

yea this is some of my future plans and honerstly I hope with all of my heart and dreams that I someday will progress it.
    but to make some discuss about this do you think this would be possible do u think I could survie in china w/o knowing anyone and only 2 years of language training, maybe u know someone who went and settle there?

wish my plans GL. ty.!

imma cut you up Senior Member lIIIIIIIIIIl's Avatar

i honestly don't think there're any place where majority of them speak english,but i think u should just stay near the city areas if u need help with language(shanghai/beijing). also their accent is VERY heavy even for me(i'm a singaporean chinese), 90% of the time i can't understand a single shit they r blabbering about.

yea I know, I've heared a lot of really crappy english-chinese accents.. but hopefully I can get used to it if thats the case.
    thx for the tip. I wont live far from any big city.

I went to China 2x and spent about 4 months total going all over. I recommend you hire a guide, you can get one very very cheap either through a service or go to a university and pay someone ( a student - some will exchange lessons in "common" English to be your tour guide plus a little pay). If you are in HongKong there are a lot of English speaking people but if you head out to smaller cities or towns (villages) forget it, some areas have still never seen an outsider in person or up close.

I also recommend you be careful about the foods you eat esp when you first get there. Do not eat salads or veggies that are uncooked (rinsed with tap water) and stay away from tap water completely (and ice). Drink beer and bottled beverages esp imported drinks. Watch your bottled water because many people just refill with tap water and glue the tops and resell. Almost everyone I was with got the shits something awful and some got it sooo bad I thought they were going to die. I stuck to eating well cooked (hot) items and soups that didn't have things in it from the local stream (which is common). I ate a lot of porridge and baked goods. Both trips I did not get sick, everyone else did.

Stash your money in a under garment wallet, you can find them on ebay or in travel stores. Keep your passport and extra money in there well hidden. Keep small bills easily accessible. Do not pull out large bills in the night markets esp if you travel alone. Recently China opened up its country to travel by the people who live within it, this means that a lot of farmers and broke ass peasants have flooded some of the major cities and they roam the night markets looking to rob tourists and easy targets.

Also, bring some extra tissue and some hand cleanser, most places are very unsanitary compared to what a lot of people are used to. You will also find paper and tissue is not as common as most other countries. If you go into a WC like in the Forbidden City, you will thank me for reminding you to bring extra toilet paper lol.

Try to have an itinerary and exact schedule of places you want to go. Just roaming is very difficult on your own esp since many of the signs are in character form and you can't find them in any dictionary or map (cause they are just symbols and not spelled out).

Aside from the common things to see like The Great Wall, Terracotta Soldiers and Forbidden City, you might want to check out other Asian Countries like Thailand and the Philippines while your in the area, they are very different then mainland China and people, food and scenery are incredible. If you want to go to Japan, be aware that everything is super expensive. One coke from a vending machine cost me around $6.

No matter where you go in Asia, people seem to (in general) love outsider visitors. If you try to speak their language they also really appreciate the efforts. I think for the most part if you learn a few phrases and carry a good dialogue book you will be able to get along very well and have a blast. When I came back I was a totally different person, it was life changing.

imma cut you up Senior Member lIIIIIIIIIIl's Avatar

I went to China 2x and spent about 4 months total going all over. I recommend you hire a guide, you can get one very very cheap either through a service or go to a university and pay someone ( a student - some will exchange lessons in "common" English to be your tour guide plus a little pay). If you are in HongKong there are a lot of English speaking people but if you head out to smaller cities or towns (villages) forget it, some areas have still never seen an outsider in person or up close.

I also recommend you be careful about the foods you eat esp when you first get there. Do not eat salads or veggies that are uncooked (rinsed with tap water) and stay away from tap water completely (and ice). Drink beer and bottled beverages esp imported drinks. Watch your bottled water because many people just refill with tap water and glue the tops and resell. Almost everyone I was with got the shits something awful and some got it sooo bad I thought they were going to die. I stuck to eating well cooked (hot) items and soups that didn't have things in it from the local stream (which is common). I ate a lot of porridge and baked goods. Both trips I did not get sick, everyone else did.

Stash your money in a under garment wallet, you can find them on ebay or in travel stores. Keep your passport and extra money in there well hidden. Keep small bills easily accessible. Do not pull out large bills in the night markets esp if you travel alone. Recently China opened up its country to travel by the people who live within it, this means that a lot of farmers and broke ass peasants have flooded some of the major cities and they roam the night markets looking to rob tourists and easy targets.

Also, bring some extra tissue and some hand cleanser, most places are very unsanitary compared to what a lot of people are used to. You will also find paper and tissue is not as common as most other countries. If you go into a WC like in the Forbidden City, you will thank me for reminding you to bring extra toilet paper lol.

Try to have an itinerary and exact schedule of places you want to go. Just roaming is very difficult on your own esp since many of the signs are in character form and you can't find them in any dictionary or map (cause they are just symbols and not spelled out).

Aside from the common things to see like The Great Wall, Terracotta Soldiers and Forbidden City, you might want to check out other Asian Countries like Thailand and the Philippines while your in the area, they are very different then mainland China and people, food and scenery are incredible. If you want to go to Japan, be aware that everything is super expensive. One coke from a vending machine cost me around $6.

No matter where you go in Asia, people seem to (in general) love outsider visitors. If you try to speak their language they also really appreciate the efforts. I think for the most part if you learn a few phrases and carry a good dialogue book you will be able to get along very well and have a blast. When I came back I was a totally different person, it was life changing.[/b]
    i think the quality of the place speaks for the price(vice-versa, whatever). in china everything is cheap but honestly the experience won't be as good as in japan, which is like heaven and i sooo wanna go there *_*. but yea japan is insanely expensive. maybe u can try singapore, its slightly inbetween, but the main language here is ENGLISH(the majority of the population in singapore are chinese and we happen to speak english ^^) so u will have absolutely NO problem navigating, not to mention it is so insanely small compared to other countries. public toilets here r ace compared to china's, usualy the ones in shopping malls r so damn clean u can eat off them :unsure: . but of course, in singapore there's not much of any "natural wonders" as compared to china, but yea.
    personaly i can't accept china's standard of toilet but.. yeaa..

No matter where you go in Asia, people seem to (in general) love outsider visitors. If you try to speak their language they also really appreciate the efforts. I think for the most part if you learn a few phrases and carry a good dialogue book you will be able to get along very well and have a blast. When I came back I was a totally different person, it was life changing.[/b]

wow! really nice tips and info. thx a lot. Did you just had like a vacation in china or did u also work something?
    but I rly appreciate this and I hope I will be available to learn some phrases.

thats another thing also why I rather go to china than japan, everything is so much more expensive and also very tight population in Japan.

Ainelover

i think the quality of the place speaks for the price(vice-versa, whatever). in china everything is cheap but honestly the experience won't be as good as in japan, which is like heaven and i sooo wanna go there *_*. but yea japan is insanely expensive. maybe u can try singapore, its slightly inbetween, but the main language here is ENGLISH(the majority of the population in singapore are chinese and we happen to speak english ^^) so u will have absolutely NO problem navigating, not to mention it is so insanely small compared to other countries. public toilets here r ace compared to china's, usualy the ones in shopping malls r so damn clean u can eat off them :unsure: . but of course, in singapore there's not much of any "natural wonders" as compared to china, but yea.
    personaly i can't accept china's standard of toilet but.. yeaa..[/b]

Japan > China, going to Japan in august

Very well put, u pretty much missed nothing of the important ones. Im a born chinese and moved out of China at age of 10, so I can say those tips u mentioned are very true and sad at the same time. Sure the China's culture had got better over these years, but the general living standard are still in slow progress compare to western countries, not to mention their "happy english"...
    The most important thing to look out imo is the food and drink, since these 2 things are the terms for survival, and u can find both of them in China with poor quality. Oh, and about the toilet paper, if there were toilet paper in public toilets, then the desperate poor bastards will just "steal" it, so yea.. ALWAYS have some paper with u.

ye I make sure I bring my paper set with me =)

if u want a place that speaks pretty good english, and is overall a much more organized place and less disturbing than certain parts of china, consider hong kong

if u want a place that speaks pretty good english, and is overall a much more organized place and less disturbing than certain parts of china, consider hong kong[/b]
    lol bb hk

btw what kind of langauge u gonna learn like : mandarin , cantonnese

I recomend u beijin ganzhou but watchout chinnese people are so tricky they see u white easy pray lol

personaly i can't accept china's standard of toilet but.. yeaa..[/b]
    woah missed ur post earlier when i was reading

yeah +1 to what he says.

japan = uber expensive
    china = uber shitty and cheapass

Singapore = english speaking, clean, pretty good place, however if u intend on buying a lot of main brands and shit, its not as good

Hongkong = somewhat english speaking (like ppl in stores will understand some english if u wanna order in english or ask for help) its not as clean as singapore, however its technology is pretty advanced, and THE BEST THING IN HONG KONG IS SHOPPING HELL YEAH BITCHES

u'll find every single main brand from all over the world in hong kong whether it is uber expensive brands, or cheaper brands.... living standards are pretty good, and same as china/singapore, if ur white u'll get treated better :P

I definately recommend u take a detour and visit hong kong for a month or two~ if u ever decide to go, hit me up with a PM and ill recommend you the places that are definately worth the time visiting

OH i almost forgot, the food in HK is hella fucking delicious

woah missed ur post earlier when i was reading
    yeah +1 to what he says.

japan = uber expensive
    china = uber shitty and cheapass

Singapore = english speaking, clean, pretty good place, however if u intend on buying a lot of main brands and shit, its not as good

Hongkong = somewhat english speaking (like ppl in stores will understand some english if u wanna order in english or ask for help) its not as clean as singapore, however its technology is pretty advanced, and THE BEST THING IN HONG KONG IS SHOPPING HELL YEAH BITCHES

u'll find every single main brand from all over the world in hong kong whether it is uber expensive brands, or cheaper brands.... living standards are pretty good, and same as china/singapore, if ur white u'll get treated better :P

I definately recommend u take a detour and visit hong kong for a month or two~ if u ever decide to go, hit me up with a PM and ill recommend you the places that are definately worth the time visiting
    OH i almost forgot, the food in HK is hella fucking delicious [/b]
    everything that u say about hk is thrue but hk weather sucks thou and the air is so poluted u cant see white clouds

Dro
    As hot sauce on your taco Senior Member

Why would anyone want to live in China? seriously... it sucks. All they eat is fish, and weird fish, or the nuts of other types of animals. Plus, there's 100 people living per square feet, you can't take a piss without someone getting a golden shower. Seriously, is like that movie Push, except that there won't be any white people, or black... just yellow, all arround. Seriously. China sucks. My bet would be that you are made a slave in the first day, or forced to work in a sweatshop, wich is above the average job.

Needless to say, I'm kidding. Just for being white, your penis will make you a walking God among them!

(\/) (;,,;) (\/) Why not Zoidberg? Admin camaz0tz's Avatar

Needless to say, I'm kidding. Just for being white, your penis will make you a walking God among them![/b]
    just like for being white, their penises make them walking gods for u?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast