Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

AMD vs Intel? who is better?

This is a discussion on AMD vs Intel? who is better? within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; ofcourse it won't burn, as long as the cpu fan is in place nothing goes wrong normally since there's a ...
Page: 3

knoid

ofcourse it won't burn, as long as the cpu fan is in place nothing goes wrong normally since there's a thermal contact that monitors the temperature. it's when you remove that fan that the cpu gets so hot in such a short time that the contact has no chance of shutting everything down.[/b]
    The Athlon XP's were rated for 90 degrees Celsius. I think the AMD dual-core CPU's will shutdown at 65 degrees or thereabouts, although it depends on the core. AMD didn't have thermal shutdown protection until after the Barton core I think. Intel had it right from the early P4's I believe.

Right now it looks like AMD lost the performance edge they used to have back in Athlon XP days. However....in terms of price/performance, AMD and Intel seem pretty even these days. AMD's are running significantly hotter though so over time you'll pay a little more on your electric bill, but I think that's going to be negligible and shouldn't really influence your decision.

Just go for the best CPU/motherboard combination you can find & afford.

oO Jc Oo

The Athlon XP's were rated for 90 degrees Celsius. I think the AMD dual-core CPU's will shutdown at 65 degrees or thereabouts, although it depends on the core. AMD didn't have thermal shutdown protection until after the Barton core I think. Intel had it right from the early P4's I believe.

Right now it looks like AMD lost the performance edge they used to have back in Athlon XP days. However....in terms of price/performance, AMD and Intel seem pretty even these days. AMD's are running significantly hotter though so over time you'll pay a little more on your electric bill, but I think that's going to be negligible and shouldn't really influence your decision.

Just go for the best CPU/motherboard combination you can find & afford.[/b]

i want the best pc ever h34r:

hej

When intel came with core2duo it past amd and amd have not manage to make a new typ that is faster then intels core2duo/quad

Banned Senior Member

Much depends on the components that have to see your PC compatibility.
    I prefer AMD

evilwevel

@evilwevel.
    Not every processor likes to O/C. For example choose an E4300 and it`ll easily O/C to 2.4ghz on a stock cooler. 3+ghz is possible with a quality aftermarket cooler(66+% O/C).[/b]
    i was talking without the fan :lol:

but yeah, most stock fans are quite good. you only need a new one if you're going to overclock it way beyond you should go. or you just like the look of a new cpu fan (zalman pink fan > the rest B) )

Speed

i have always liked intel, dont know why... had several PCs already all intel :P current has a core2duo [email protected] and i really cant complain about it... its fast as it gets , my laptop is amd tho... and i think it gets too hot for my taste but then again its different

Hostibus

AMD vs Intel? That question is like ATI vs nVidia, Mercedes vs BMW or KO vs WoW and so on...[/b]
    guess u dunno much bout cars aint ya ? bmw vs mercedes is extremly stupid question xD

topic : amd all the way

guess u dunno much bout cars aint ya ? bmw vs mercedes is extremly stupid question xD[/b]
    Ya, my bad.. I actually really dont know much about cars, even tho I have a car myself, guess that was a bad example.. But I do know that chinese ppl trends to pick mercedes over BMW, while turks pick BMW over any other brand.
    Anyway..

@evilwevel.
    I just said it myself that nobody would do such thing as tomshardware would do. HOWEVER.. I had a very unfortunate experience with one of my PC.. While I booting up my comp, the heatsink slip off the CPU, ending with no connection to the core, and after few seconds the CPU was totally dead, with a silent crack sound.
    It looked like this after I took it out:

U can see the core from upper left corner got a little explosion

About the prices:
    I cant 100% agree with knoid about that. Looking the top model from AMD's Athlon u can get a Athlon X2 6400 for around 170$, while the top models of Core 2 Duo from Intel costs around the double of Athlon X2. Just google "CPU price list" and ull find many sites with nowadays prices. This site seems to be a good example: http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/WCPG/a...0705_3728046__6
    PS: I know the Opteron from AMD are extremtly expensive aswell, but unlike the expensive ones from Intel, the Opteron are more designed for the servers, which I doubt anyone here on the forum are interested in.

About the power consume:
    Sorry I have to disagree again.. this time with those who says Intel use less power than AMD. Actually, if u look at a list of CPU power consuming, u would see the same type CPUs of 2 different brand use almost exactly same amount of power. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_power_dissipation
    The thing is u need to compare the same LEVEL of CPUs, its totally stupid and unfair to look at the top class CPU from one brand, and then compare it to a low class CPU from the other brand, thats just totally unrealistic.. The mediocre CPUs are listed as Athlon X2 from AMD, and Core 2 Duo from Intel.. These 2 CPU models both use around 65W and are the most popular ones.
    [notice]: AMD have the less power consuming version that cost a bit more, marked with a "EE"

@oO Jc Oo
    If u seriously want the best PC ever, with no consideration to ur money, then get urself an Intel QX6800 (not that I can see what u can do with a Quad core CPU..). Personally, I prefer AMD coz I use my computer mostly for games, but when it comes to the quality and performance, the price speaks itself.

And the last thing, dont make me discuss with u guys about AMD is hotter than Intel, since the power comsuming clearly shows they both use about the same, and the physics law also says clearly, the power comsume is equal to heat, more power more heat. Dont u for a sec think AMD is the only one with heat problem, and dont make me dig up articles about how much trouble Intel CPU have with heat.

BANNED FOR SCAMMING! Senior Member

Well i like Intel more then AMD. i always used Intel CPU and i have only good experience. AMD improve their cpu and they can be perfect.

when i was selecting new pc thats like 10 months ago.I was thinking about AMD or Intel but in that time i hear that intel is way more better and i start think about INTEL Core 2 Duo E6600 - 2,40GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 4MB cache, socket 775, EM64T BOX (Conroe) and i hear that AMD cant win agains this cpu cuz in that time it was product with perfect performece/price

after some time like 9 moths i just visit some pctuning web page and i start reading that Intel 6600 is perfect for overclocking even with standart cooler. so i test it and i was suprice that i can get 600 mhz more without any "problem" ( temp difference betwen was like 15°C and cpu cant reach 80 or 85 °C mine was like 60-66°C with stability test) and i read that some ppl change it with water cooling up to 3,9ghz..

why i write is that that some Cpu can be better even after some time so i think my investment in to intel was perfect and after year i have good cpu which dont get old so fast as others. but AMD can be same
    All is abut money and your preference

Banned

if u plan on buying a Intel in the 8xxx series, u might aswell go for a quad core? a q6600 costs NEARLY the same as a c2d 8xxx, atleast in denmark o.o

Ive heard that the new Amd´s (Their "quad" cores) are better than Intels, because Amd´s are supposed to be better on focussing on different things, thats what i heard

Sable

A good processor is AMD

oO Jc Oo

A good processor is AMD[/b]

<3

minhking

Well i would pick intel after what i heard. And my question is about a good and not too expensive graphic card for the moment ?

galaxy geforce 256mb/256bit 8800GT maybe?

oO Jc Oo

ok guys after all the discuse in this topic, i really got nicely help in the issue, and the result of all is this:

yesterday i bought my new pc

so here we go:

amd x2 6000(dual core)
    Asus m2n E-sli
    GeForcee 8600 GT 512 gb ram
    4x Gb ram Bus 800 (brand:SuperTalent and and 1xGb ram each for slot)

i think all that things the most important, the other things r just good enough like microsoft reclusa keyborad, microsoft intellipoint mouse 3.0, combo of speakers too

the only thing as knoid and me was talking is about the recognize of the 4gbs, windows xp of 32 bits just recognize me 3gbs :lol: so the only solution will be install an windows xp of 64 bits if that shit exist ye... xD

my decision was amd and i think will be fine and nicely for me thx for all, but u guys can keep discuse about the post

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast