Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Snoxd? it is closed? what happend?

This is a discussion on Snoxd? it is closed? what happend? within the Private Server Technical Support forums, part of the Private Servers category; Originally Posted by ReesesPieces Go to European Parliament... When he/she is from Australia.. So hire a van and go get ...
Page: 8

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by ReesesPieces View Post
    Go to European Parliament... When he/she is from Australia..
    So hire a van and go get her! EU Parliament is waiting for her :P

Sir DooM* Senior Member DoomBringer's Avatar

just wanted to say TY for mr/miss duck for ITKO, HCKO etc etc, those servers back in 2008/09 were amazing

Peace
    \/

anyone knows when sw comes back

KO-Guru Senior Member

and now 2015 is snoxd closed for ever? or you twostars could pass to others the leadership or atleast run it again?

Quote Originally Posted by ForcePower View Post
    and now 2015 is snoxd closed for ever? or you twostars could pass to others the leadership or atleast run it again?
    It's time for it to go,nothing new to see there whatsoever... Two tryed his best and it simple didn't work,if anyone is really into some heavy development we should start our own board for now.
    #Ripsnoxd

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroH View Post
    It's time for it to go,nothing new to see there whatsoever... Two tryed his best and it simple didn't work,if anyone is really into some heavy development we should start our own board for now.
    #Ripsnoxd
    its not about starting a new board, its about the content that was already on the board, to have any success with a new board you'd need all the previous files and content from snoxd.

KO-Guru Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    its not about starting a new board, its about the content that was already on the board, to have any success with a new board you'd need all the previous files and content from snoxd.
    pretty much.
    if twostars will give us the last backup of the content then we can start new board.. if not we still can re collect most of the content via the interent.

I support this discussion and would like a place to visit and discuss KO development. It may not be obvious to most people, but there were a lot of new client-side discussions being had on Snoxd towards the end. Development is often a long and tedious process and what looks dormant on the surface is often layered with hard work underneath.

I would leave most of the 1.298 content out if we ever started a new board,i saw some potential new members on Snoxd that could contribute somehow to the newer versions.
    We really have to move on if we want to bring any activity back,new content has to be added and tutorials have to be written for the newer versions.
    None is going to mess around with the stock 1.298 while you can buy SOACS (Not at least if you wish to have a valid project).
    Just to show where i'm going with all of this: Turkish web
    I've been taking part of this since there is nothing on the English scene,but we could possible start a group that would contribute and if we find people that would contribute we would
    add them to the "VIP" membership (Which allows you to see "special" content).
    It's just an idea and i have no desire to do it alone,nor to administrate it but if someone decides i'll be willing to help.

KO-Guru Senior Member

I would leave most of the 1.298 content out if we ever started a new board,i saw some potential new members on Snoxd that could contribute somehow to the newer versions.
    We really have to move on if we want to bring any activity back,new content has to be added and tutorials have to be written for the newer versions.
    None is going to mess around with the stock 1.298 while you can buy SOACS (Not at least if you wish to have a valid project).
    Just to show where i'm going with all of this: Turkish web
    I've been taking part of this since there is nothing on the English scene,but we could possible start a group that would contribute and if we find people that would contribute we would
    It's just an idea and i have no desire to do it alone,nor to administrate it but if someone decides i'll be willing to help.
    I don't know if you recgonize me but I was ex-admin of KO4FUN with NOFX actually we had something like VIP group which had secret from called EQ that very few of devs were in it such as sexyreply, mamaorha , Jonny, ibsk8er , si twostars and so on.. it faild.. ko4fun was big succuess but I had real life issues , NOFX could not handle it anymore due private reasons.. so twostars and Si backup all content and started KO-Devs.
    Then Si gone KO-Devs died!
    twostars had some backup => snoxd went down. twostars took the responsibilty to re create it.
    twostars has done alot I can understand why he doesnt want to continue but on the other hand its not fair to go without say anything without leave any backup!
    so ZeroH the 1298 content are INDEED has a HUGE VALUE!
    if people in this commmunity would learn little bit more about C/C++/C# and much little bit about SQL (triggers , proc etc) and little bit of 8086 ASM.
    Then they would be able to do the same as osmanx or acme does, and ofc fulfill their ideas..
    u dont have to be genious u need to sit and try instand of asking everything.
    For instance we have the 1351/1397 files with the old source and with 1298 CURRENT FIXES! we can tweak it to those versions and make them stable! if u looked in snoxd I did it so many times while I used 1397 and I released few patches..
    About contribute so I think you wrong twostars opened Snoxd project for this reason it was public 2 years no one really contribute even as testers!!!!!
    for making what ApexKO has done (twostars and Max) you need to be skilled enough at C/C++ (mostly C++) langauge lua etc.
    I dont see the whole community start studying those languauges.. because of their lazyness..
    so after all 1298 has HIGH value for this community from that and all the patches that has done u can understand hows every system working and if your not laznyess so tweak patches to 13xx or even start build your emoulator like twostars and Aestertis have done!
    I just hope snoxd would be online again , if twostars could not handle it anymore I have no problem that he pass me the backup and I would up it again.

We cannot get rid of the 1.298 stuff, you might find newer versions more interesting but from my perspective KO is not a version number; KO is a system of components (many of which have not changed since the original source code was leaked). Also, we shouldn't be trying to attract people who only run private servers. They contribute very little content and are only looking to make money. We want people who are interested and invested in how KO works at all levels, because only these individuals will persist long enough to actually solve their own problems, achieve their own goals, and produce new content by doing so.

I'm not sure about this for two reasons: (1) there is nothing "special" about people who can program and restricted access sets a tone of elitism. And (2) hiding development only seems to alienate the community. If we treat community members like they have nothing worth contributing then we shouldn't be surprised when no one contributes anything.

About contribute so I think you wrong twostars opened Snoxd project for this reason it was public 2 years no one really contribute even as testers!!!!!
    We should never expect people to contribute in the first place. And criticizing the community for the lack of contributions only creates further animosity. We should have publicly supported the few who did contribute, not point fingers at those who didn't but hindsight is 20/20 (and a lot of the stuff was before my time here). It is the communities job to find interested and capable individuals and support them - these people don't just fall from the sky.

for making what ApexKO has done (twostars and Max) you need to be skilled enough at C/C++ (mostly C++) langauge lua etc.
    I dont see the whole community start studying those languauges.. because of their lazyness..
    Laziness perhaps, but it's far more likely that most people just don't find programming fun or interesting. And I don't blame them, why would you work hard at something if it doesn't interest you? This type of work isn't for everyone.

I just hope snoxd would be online again , if twostars could not handle it anymore I have no problem that he pass me the backup and I would up it again.
    He should do something, the content belongs to the community.

#1 There are very few such individuals,from what i've seen you were the only one.

#2 I agree there is nothing special but if you want to run (mess around) with a game you are expected to have some programing knowledge.
    It's not that much hiding,but for obvious reasons we don't want EVERYONE to have acces to our "private work".

#3 My idea was to start off a project with a few chill people,which would like to learn/work on something ofcourse they're expected to have some knowledge but there is
    always room for learning. (Force took my words to seriously from what i saw)

#4 LUA for example is really easy to learn,i didn't go to a programming school and i learned it out if interest. Ofcourse you can't achieve the same level as people that attended/learned
    something like this in school.

#5 While i agree the content belongs to the community,lets not forget without Twostars,Snoxd was nothing and will stay nothing unless he decides to return.
    None of us can help people out as much as Two did.

Didn't Quote everything because i'm on phone. #FML

#1 There are very few such individuals,from what i've seen you were the only one.
    Splitshot was also developing some awesome stuff on Snoxd and seemed quite self motivated but I'm not sure where he is now.

#2 I agree there is nothing special but if you want to run (mess around) with a game you are expected to have some programing knowledge.
    It's not that much hiding,but for obvious reasons we don't want EVERYONE to have acces to our "private work".

#3 My idea was to start off a project with a few chill people,which would like to learn/work on something ofcourse they're expected to have some knowledge but there is
    always room for learning. (Force took my words to seriously from what i saw)
    What sort of project(s) do you have in mind? I've been working on a few things but I'm open to other projects as well. For me personally, I like working with code - I'm not much of an x86 hacker. I'm perhaps best known for client-side stuff but I have been doing a lot of server-side stuff lately as well.

Call me crazy but one of my long-term goals is to have the server/client running SDL2, OpenGL, and MySQL (I have an AIServer prototype). These options are more "open" than the WinAPI, DirectX and SQL Server. My utopian KO scene would have a community like PlaneShift but with the gameplay KO is known for. Not everyone agrees with me, but I still believe an open source version of KO is possible (a good read).

#4 LUA for example is really easy to learn,i didn't go to a programming school and i learned it out if interest. Ofcourse you can't achieve the same level as people that attended/learned
    something like this in school.
    I would say you can achieve the same level, and you might even be more desirable to a potential employer because you have real-world experience. In the US, an awesome portfolio and knowing how to work with other people to get things done will take you just as far as a degree in computer science (especially if you want a job in the game industry).

#5 While i agree the content belongs to the community,lets not forget without Twostars,Snoxd was nothing and will stay nothing unless he decides to return.
    None of us can help people out as much as Two did.
    You are right, and anything done from here will be a huge step backwards without Twostars being involved. But I don't think things are that bad, Twostars has been around for a long time - he probably just needs to do something else for a while.

Genius Senior Member ExclusiveBastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BitShift View Post

I would say you can achieve the same level, and you might even be more desirable to a potential employer because you have real-world experience. In the US, an awesome portfolio and knowing how to work with other people to get things done will take you just as far as a degree in computer science (especially if you want a job in the game industry).
    Got to agree with this, i've been following classes in PHP, C#, C, C++ and java for the last couple of years, and i've gained most experience actually coding in my free time / working for company's.

The stuff you get at school is actually really crappy if you compare it to the "Real stuff".

My project is close to being finished so i'll stick to it (and only this one),till i complete it. (Should be start of December)
    I'm also not really interested into starting something (new) on my own,but if you have ideas and you want some help you can hit me up on Skype or IRC.

As for the learning experience,ofcourse doing actual work will improve your knowledge better than some simple exercises.
    My point was in school someone is always monitoring you/helping you through the whole experience. (Which can also be negative ofcourse e.g. you're not used to working alone)
    But i thing in general attending some programming school makes it a lot easier to start off,i've been learning everything from e-books or online courses.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast