Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

How far the US have change in 150 years

This is a discussion on How far the US have change in 150 years within the Off Topic forums, part of the Entertainment category; Let me tell you guys a story about American car companies. In the 1960s or 70s, American car companies realize ...
Page: 6

Banned

Let me tell you guys a story about American car companies.

In the 1960s or 70s, American car companies realize they can make more money. How? By making unreliable car that will break down in a couple of years. That will force their costumers to buy new cars more often. However they didn't plan on Japanese automakers coming over and provide a more reliable car. Then the perception of Japanese car are better than Americans begin!

This is what I don't get, American companies shit on their costumers and employees and we want to give them a tax cut. While the top management get bonuses and doesn't invest in future investments, we still want to give them a tax break? American companies don't care about investing in making goods/products better or a better substitute. This is their own fault that Americans are buying foreign goods.

mdeac48

Regulation is an integral part of continued capitalism. Without regulation natural resources would be stripped bear by industries, making it impossible for other companies to do it better, or companies later to do it faster. Without regulation pollution would rage unchecked causing ecological problems of massive proportions that would take millenia to correct themselves, making large areas unavailable for any capitalist enterprise. Without regulation there is no real deterrent to causing a problem that makes you individually money and then bailing before the problem begins propagating. No regulation was part of the reason the stock market in the 1920s was so easily manipulated by large investors doing volume stock price trading.

Capitalism has to try and walk the fine line between full scale business warfare and the long term effects of such policies. The guy down the street might make it for half price, but if he's doing it by making the land uninhabitable for the next 4 generations, that hurts the profit making potential of the entire area for a long time.

Tariffs are a key point to international trading. Tariffs, are suppose to, help level the playing field between international makers and local ones. Sure, China can make shirts for 1/4 of what people in the US can, but thats also a factor of their low cost of living and the fact that they don't have any human rights problems with child labor or factory safety. What chance does an American company have to compete against a competitor who doesn't have to spend money on workers safety or health? We as a society have decided that business here have to play by a certain standard (no whipping workers, no handling of toxic materials with bare hands, that kind of thing), so tariffs are used to insulate local business from outside competitors who make the same stuff but don't have to play by our local rules. Tariffs also help to prevent foreign governments from temporally subsidizing a product to all their country's company to run local companies out of business and then monopolize the market (Japan). Is this how tariffs are always used? Of course not, but the execution of tariffs are a point to talk to your government officials about, instead of saying all tariffs should be abolished.

Wal-mart isn't wrong for wanting to sell cheap stuff (not on a capitalist level anyways, morally thats debatable, but a post for another time). They are wrong for delaying payment to the local contractors who built the store just so the builders go out of business and can't collect.

The big 3 car companies are suffering from several problems at once. Part of the problems are a systemic production of low grade gas hogs for decades. This problem by itself could have been avoided if they had foresight into the green movement, or the capability to change production styles faster. But this problem by itself wouldn't have led to the current problem, it would have been partially mitigated in 2 or 3 production years, and a longer term business plan would have emerged in 5 to 10 years. But when you throw in the short term credit problems, and a HUGE obligation for retired workers pensions and medical benefits (throw in the skyrocketing costs of medical care recently), at a time when they have to shift corporate focus to change to a new market type that hasn't been seen in 30 years, well, shit hits the fan.

The larger problem with the big 3 is not just the number of direct employees they employ, but the number of employees that are employed because of them. Its estimated that 1 auto worker job facilitates another 7 to 9 jobs, from raw material processing, to part sub-contract, to dealerships (not that I'd mind a few of them going out of business mind you), to the local grocery store clerk, to the hair stylist in detroit. Would a failure of one or all of the big 3 make all those job disappear? I doubt it, someone will swoop in and buy up the plants and make their cars there, but it'll hurt alot of people before that really works, and the economic repercussions combined with the economic fear that would get shoveled to the top of the pile that is already there, well, it wouldn't help your parent's 401k.

Mens

Cause you know Obama! You been hating on him since he was the nominee. You're not bias... You don't seem to have a clue, or watch the news. Get off YouTube!
    How old are you to think Palin is hot anyway? I mean when I think of "hot" I think of Anelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, Salma Hiyak, amongst so many others, but Palin? Shes a good looking woman but hot? I think thats a little much....[/b]
    I'd bang out Palin like a loose screen door in a hurricane. I feel like you really have no idea whats going on, do you? How old are you btw? and you're clearly homosexual.

I'd bang out Palin like a loose screen door in a hurricane. I feel like you really have no idea whats going on, do you? How old are you btw? and you're clearly homosexual.[/b]
    OMG lol thats the funniest thing I read today. Funniest part is she wouldn't touch you. Yeah I guess I would think about Palin over Britney any day... :mellow: I do have an idea whats going on (a lot more than you) some boys think Palin is hot... I didn't say she was bad looking. I said she was good looking if you reread my post. But hot is a little overboard. You sure took offense. But reading your quote at the bottom I can see you clearly aren't a thinker. Actually I'm a girl, and yes I'm bi. So sorry to dissappoint you.

I was thinking, and I apologize for my post about Palin's looks. I forgot, different strokes for different folks. You can have your fantasy. It's kinda cute how you guys call each other gay when someone doesn't think the girl you think is hot though. :P

Zaczaco11

In the 1960s or 70s, American car companies realize they can make more money. How? By making unreliable car that will break down in a couple of years. That will force their costumers to buy new cars more often. However they didn't plan on Japanese automakers coming over and provide a more reliable car. Then the perception of Japanese car are better than Americans begin![/b]
    hahahahaha yea yea yea yea, they still make them shit in hopes no one will notice jap cars last 10x longer than american cars :lol: thats one of the funniest conspiracy theories i've heard, it ranks up there with the:

"i believe aliens planted us here on earth, and in 10,000 years they'll come back and harvest us, because human meat is the most nutritious meat known to man" hahahaha lmao man you made my day :lol:

Banned

Americans car companies have tried their hardest to get rid of that perception. Even if American cars are better, people's perception haven't change. I never said American cars are "still shit", did I? Just people's perception of American cars are "still shit" even if it offer the same options like a foreign cars.

Conspiracy theory? It's a fact that American car companies try to screw their buyers a long time ago. It just backfire on them.

Zaczaco11

Americans car companies have tried their hardest to get rid of that perception. Even if American cars are better, people's perception haven't change. I never said American cars are "still shit", did I? Just people's perception of American cars are "still shit" even if it offer the same options like a foreign cars.

Conspiracy theory? It's a fact that American car companies try to screw their buyers a long time ago. It just backfire on them.[/b]
    LOL wow, u were serious? o goodness.

Banned

*claps for marketing* Gosh, I can imagine Honda and Toyota marketing teams laughing at people like you.

"If you can't trick people, then you're not a good marketer"

Zaczaco11

yes they built their cars to fall apart while other companies were making reliable cars.

Banned

There weren't many competitions back then, but I didn't expect you to know that.

But yeah, you make me happy. I need more people like you so I can be a successful marketer. What makes Americans so attractive is that businesses don't need to sell them quality products (until recently and can be argue). Marketers just need to make Americans think they need your product.

Look at SUV/truck owners, you think all of them work for construction companies or drive off the road like they do in the commercials? Hell, more than half of the owners don't even do anything close to that. Even if they are driving to work alone, they will use their SUV/truck before their sedan. Yes, if your attitude is big and bad then you need one of these!

*claps for marketing*

Zaczaco11

o yea i forgot the US was the only vehicle manufacturer around in the 60's and 70's, i guess my 1966 honda s65 is a farce.

Banned

Did I say they were the only automakers? No.

American car companies, instead of investing $$$ into improving the standard of their car, they invested their time thinking how to make more money.

Zaczaco11

Did I say they were the only automakers? No.

American car companies, instead of investing $$$ into improving the standard of their car, they invested their time thinking how to make more money.[/b]

In the 1960s or 70s, American car companies realize they can make more money. How? By making unreliable car that will break down[/b]
    I am quoting you there...

There weren't many competitions back then, but I didn't expect you to know that.

But yeah, you make me happy. I need more people like you so I can be a successful marketer. What makes Americans so attractive is that businesses don't need to sell them quality products (until recently and can be argue). Marketers just need to make Americans think they need your product.[/b]
    yea you need ppl like me... ppl who don&#39;t by american because of the shit quality, you&#39;d be so successful marketing to me <_<, some things you say are just.....wow

Banned

Uh? Can you read? LOL

They make cars that will break down because they didn&#39;t invest in fixing it or improving the condition... Japanese automakers invested in improving the condition of the car.

Look at the "green marketing" movement. Toyota and Honda are getting more sales from their hybrids which they introduced before American car companies. Also you have to give credit to their marketing team exploiting this market segment.

Let me make it simple, Japanese invest in the future. Americans invest in $$$. That&#39;s why they are always behind, they need to start thinking ahead.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast